Photo Compression Software

Are you starting with RAW or JPEG images? Also, are you trying to compress them as you transfer them to the computer or after you have transferred them?

The big problem with your plan, as I see it, is that when you compress your images, you also reduce the resolution of the images. In effect, you are paying for a decent quality camera and throwing away detail in the computer. Once you do it, you can not get it back.

What I would do is get a larger hard drive or a large external drive. They are cheap.

DON

Hi Folks! This may have been discussed before, but I'm looking for good digital photo compression software for my computer so that I can save space and time when uploading images. Thanks.

Picasa can reduce the size and quality of your JPEGs.

Got to first tab: file

select: Export to folder

select: Image size and image quality.

For web viewing 800 pixels is usually more than good enough at medium quality.

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I want to compress my pictures is because I will be sending pictures to my blog during our 107-day world cruise, starting this January 27th on the Pacific Princess. I Just thought that compressing pictures would speed up transfer and use less expensive internet time.

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I want to compress my pictures is because I will be sending pictures to my blog during our 107-day world cruise, starting this January 27th on the Pacific Princess. I Just thought that compressing pictures would speed up transfer and use less expensive internet time.

It will. Just make sure that you also save an uncompressed version of the picture.

DON

Picasa has an export function that lets you choose multiple photos and create copies at whatever size and compression you want...from full-size with lower quality/greater compression to thumbnails.

The interface is short-bus simple too.

Dave

Picasa has an export function that lets you choose multiple photos and create copies at whatever size and compression you want...from full-size with lower quality/greater compression to thumbnails.

The interface is short-bus simple too.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I downloaded Picasa. It's great!!!

Archived