Help with must see & Do things on Rhodes

Sea-FAB

Here is an excerpt from our Grand Princess cruise about Rhodes.

Rhodes is a beautiful walled city and it was nice to see a place from a different time in history. Everything looked very medieval and you could almost feel the knight’s presence even though the streets were lined with tourist shops. We first walked to the new town and all the way to the beach. The beach is small round pebbles with a lot of sun beds and umbrellas. It is a fairly long beach and the aquarium is at the point. Another beach continues on the other side but it was extremely windy there. We walked back to old town shopping along the way. We returned our purchases to the ship and set out to explore old town. Inside the walls reminded me a lot of the bazaar in Turkey. We saw the Grand Palace, Street of the Knights and Suliman’s Mosque. We walked out the gate by the Grand Palace entrance and walked around the outside of the wall through the gardens to get a good view of the palace. We went back into the walled city and wandered back to the ship.

Here is a walking tour (on your own) that I have bookmarked for our upcoming stop in Rhodes:

http://www.greeklandscapes.com/greece/rhodes/rhodes-old-city.html

Discovery Tours has a nice down-loadable walking tour of the walled city for MP3 players ($15.00 and I could download it to all of our iPods -- immediate family).

I listened to it on the plane trip on the way over in addition to while in Rhodes, so I was well prepared.

Don't buy too much inside the walls -- there are street vendors at some spots outside the walls that sell most of the trinkets for much less.

Great information on Rhodes Town. Was hoping to also visit Lindos during our 8 hour cruise stop at Rhodes. Been reading that you can take a bus, taxi or boat from Rhodes to Lindos but cannot find any specific information about cost and time involved or where to catch the bus or boat.

If anyone has information would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. Jill

Hi, this is the information I found

To Lindos

Station location - east side bus station (Rimini square 10 minute walk from port 3.7 euro each way purchase round trip)

To Lindos 09.00, 10.00, 11.30

Return to Rhodes: 11.30, 13.00, 14.30, 15.30, 18.00

Tickets can also be bought in the bus from a cashier or directly from the driver. Keep your ticket until the end of your voyage. The price of a bus ticket will depend on the destination. Bus stops on the road are marked by a sign, but do not hesitate to signal a bus driver that you wish to board. Bus stops do not have the timetables displayed. However there are kiosks staffed by friendly english speaking greeks to help you The ride out and back takes about 1.5 hours each way

Great information on Rhodes Town. Was hoping to also visit Lindos during our 8 hour cruise stop at Rhodes. Been reading that you can take a bus, taxi or boat from Rhodes to Lindos but cannot find any specific information about cost and time involved or where to catch the bus or boat.

If anyone has information would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. Jill

See post #8 in the thread below for details on doing Lindos by bus. Apparently it takes abourt 1.5 hours each way, just FYI -- not a quick trip!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1040313&highlight=lindos

Thanks for the info on getting to Lindos - based on info from this board and from Trip Advisor thinking of getting a taxi to Lindos first thing. Although I hear it costs about 40 euro they say it is worth it to get to Lindos early. Then walk around and take the bus back to Rhodes. Get the Discovery Walk download for Rhodes.

And then unfortunately the day will be over.

Thanks to all for the information and any recommendations regarding this plan would be appreciated.

Jill

Archived