Princess Bands and Entertainment

matt690

On the Royal last month, there were 2 house bands (don't remember their names), and they played a variety of music, a string quartet, a steel drum player (and all of these rotated around the venues), a pianist in the Wheelhouse bar, and the wonderful and very entertaining Kory Simon in the Crooners Lounge.

The only time I remember a band playing at the pool was for the hot Latin nights party, but honestly, I spent no time at the pool. Celebrity Constellation frequently had a band at the pool.

I must say my wife and I are very disappointed at the current lack of live bands playing poolside.

The cutbacks seem to have happened in the last couple of years

Nowadays the band poolside plays for 2 hours a day at most. And when they do, it's very common to play extremely low energy music instead of steel drum or something upbeat.

I'm with another poster that wonders if more music would increase drink sales and make up for the additional expense.

I also wonder what the band members are doing with so much time off ? On a 7 day cruise it seems they are only playing around 4-5 hours a day with days off in-between.

Are there union rules which have come into effect limiting them to certain numbers of hours per week of availability? And if so, did Princess in the past have additional bands onboard to compensate?

On the Royal last month, there were 2 house bands (don't remember their names), and they played a variety of music, a string quartet, a steel drum player (and all of these rotated around the venues), a pianist in the Wheelhouse bar, and the wonderful and very entertaining Kory Simon in the Crooners Lounge.

The only time I remember a band playing at the pool was for the hot Latin nights party, but honestly, I spent no time at the pool. Celebrity Constellation frequently had a band at the pool.

We are also just off the Royal and the amount of live music all around the ship was WONDERFUL!!!!

We had just sailed the Celebrity Eclipse which, apart from the (really good) production shows and other shows in the theater, was pretty dead in the evening so all of the live music on the Royal was a welcome surprise.

As far as the pool - the Royal only has one main pool with MUTS playing most all of the time so no chance for live music there.

BTW - the steel drum player was absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!

Edited by chamima