Who knows Miami?

jdmaillet

My husband and I are planning to fly the kids home and then spend a few extra days in the Miami area after our cruise. We have no real plans. Just like to relax by the pool/beach and mosey around. In looking at hotels on Hotwire I'm seeing South beach and central south beach areas as well as Miami beach and north Miami beach. Can anyone give me an idea of these areas and which might be best for us to stay in? We're 50 (just turned and still can't get use to saying it!) and pretty low key.

Thanks,

Jenn

My husband and I are planning to fly the kids home and then spend a few extra days in the Miami area after our cruise. We have no real plans. Just like to relax by the pool/beach and mosey around. In looking at hotels on Hotwire I'm seeing South beach and central south beach areas as well as Miami beach and north Miami beach. Can anyone give me an idea of these areas and which might be best for us to stay in? We're 50 (just turned and still can't get use to saying it!) and pretty low key.

Thanks,

Jenn

Thanks,

Jenn

Jenn, the best area for you and your hubby to stay in is the Collins Avenue area of South Beach.

Remove Miami Beach and north Miami Beach off your radar immediately unless you want to shell out big bucks for Fountainbleu, Eden Roc, Aqualina, Regent Bal Harbour, and a few others. Also, none of the above are within walking distance to anything.

In South Beach, look at The National, The Loews, and The Doubletree Surfcomber to start. Excellent low key area of South Beach and very close walking distance to all the great shopping and dining of South Beach.

BTW, you do not want a car in South Beach.

Totally agree with Blue Herons. You want to be in that area, where everything is pretty much in walking distance and perfect for just wandering, shopping, people watching, beaching etc. have a great time. You won't be bored.

Thanks so much for the info. But..... now we are thinking the Ft. Lauderdale area. Seems a little more affordable (we are coming Presidents weekend) and the beach looks beautiful. Although I am going to post a new thread asking for info on this area, maybe you guys can help me. Is Hollywood beach in FT. Lauderdale or Hollywood? I'm not really getting it. My husband said that when he was in Ft. Lauderdale for business, they went to the main beach part and there was nothing there? I'm sure he probably wasn't in the right place. Isn't there a boardwalk of some kind? Thanks for any additional help.

Jenn

President's Day weekend is the Miami Boat Show. If you don't have a hotel by now...oh boy!!! This could be tough. Your choices will be extremely limited and prices will be sky-high. You will definitely do better in Fort Lauderdale that weekend, but I would not be surprised if you have difficulty finding a hotel there at this late date, too.

Forget Hollywoods, different planet. South Beach runs from 1st- about 20th. Mainly 2 kinds of hotels; luxury larger hotels and smaller basic deco ones, mostly on Collins and Ocean Drive. Do not get rental car. Very limited, pricey parking.

Archived