Nile river cruise

I would be really interested to hear from any of you who have done a Nile river cruise - there is a forum on here for this but the information isn't too helpful and not geared too much to the UK market. Thomson do advertise them. Has anyone booked a Nile cruise through Thomson and can pass on their experience of their river boats/standard of accommodation/food - and especially hygiene!

I do appreciate the difference between this type of cruise and the usual Thomson product (e.g. I know there won't be the entertainment on board that we're used to) but any advice, ideas and particularly recommendations of boats would be really appreciated. :)

Hi, We did the nile cruise in november08 with thomsons and it was excellent. we chose the 4* plus discovery, which was on the crown prince. the standards of food and service were very good, it was waiter service for your starter and sweet but help yourself to the main course. The trips were included, very early starts to avoid the heat of the day, but back on board for lunch. the cabin was fine[slightly larger than the celebration] with a lovely picture window to watch the scenery from when you were in.the upper deck area was nice with a bar to sit and watch the nile go by. we were split into 2 groups with a guide for each, and ours was very good. if there is anything in particular you would like to know, just ask. They started an all inclusive boat just after we booked but had no reviews, but I think the reviews are on T/A now, but we can give the thumbs up to thomson nile discovery. cheers

Hi Kruzseeker Hubby and I did the 4 star Nile Discovery on Crown Prince April 05 couldn't fault it,everyone else we met enjoyed it, we loved it so much we urged our daughter to book it when she wanted to give her boyfriend a surprise for his birthday 12 months later. Only difference was, I'm afraid to say, is they were both ill for the last 3 days and so were others on that cruise. My daughter couldn't leave the cabin.

You have to be there for breakfast early ( between 6 and 7) as the excursions begin early to avoid the hottest part of the day (even so it was 48f in the Valley of the Kings by 10.30 a.m) Breakfast was always my favourite as I rarely eat meat abroad so I was able to help myself to the omlettes, mashed potatoes, tomatoes etc (yes mash each day at 6 a.m I loved it) They did a wide choice for all meals and all very well cooked the usual pasta, rice, chicken, beef etc. Everyone dressed up for the Gala night and were all about to eat when we felt a bump and had to all go on deck, we had hit a sandbank and there was a strong sandstorm, everyone held on tight to avoid being blown overboard then the ship tilted so half of us had to run to the opposite side to balance it but we went back down to dinner, had a laugh about it but the ladies all looked a bit rough to say the least. The cabins are all comfortable and you can't feel the ship move at all on the Nile and I would do it all again.

Thank you so much, barnowl and jack for your responses. :) We've been looking at the Nile for so long now and really it's just been a matter of choosing who to go with/which boat so recommendations are very welcome.

We are aware of the possible problem regarding sickness in this area - and we have confidence in the regimes they have on board the Thomson ships. I know these Nile boats aren't actually Thomson vessels but hope that similar attention to hygiene can be expected.

If/when we actually book, I'm sure I shall be coming back to seek more advice on specifics of the itinerary. Anyway, in the meantime, thanks again for your help. :)

Hi my father and step mother on on the nile cruise just now due back tomorrow into manchester i probably see them over weekend so i will get the gen for u. all i know at the mo is they flew from manchester luxor dont know the name of the boat etc but like i say will try and find out for u

Hi my father and step mother on on the nile cruise just now due back tomorrow into manchester i probably see them over weekend so i will get the gen for u. all i know at the mo is they flew from manchester luxor dont know the name of the boat etc but like i say will try and find out for u

Thanks - appreciate that :). Hope they get back ok and their flight's not affected by the weather.

Our flight back was delayed 16 hours due to mechanical problems, Thomsons own engineers were flown overnight to Luxor to sort it, mean-while half of us were given rooms at the Sheraton Luxor and the other half Hilton Luxor. I had chilli and rice in the evening at the Sheraton and it was the best chilli i've ever had. We awoke refreshed next day happy to have extra time in Egypt and an extra day off work and when boarding the plane at 9 a.m we received claim forms for £20 compensation each from Thomsons. We still have a laugh when we think back, sometimes you need to be a bit tough and have a sense of humour. Carry on up the Nile comes to mind.

Carole

p.s. going on Red Sea Magic 25 Feb won't need to bother with Valley of the Kings

By the way tipping wasn't included on the Nile cruise 4 years ago, don't know what they do these days, our Rep arranged a meeting with us all at the end of the week to recommend what to give and to who, but the staff are brilliant they all do a marvellous job one waiter did magic tricks at our table while collecting glasses, just thought to let you know. Also as to the sandstorm etc it may only have been that bad for us and maybe it's more likely some months more than others.

Hi kruzseeka.....we did a Nile cruise several years ago with Discover Egypt who were very good...think they all have a similar set up leaving from Luxor and sailing to Aswan and back and all stops (temples) in between!!!

around 75 passengers split into two groups for the whole week with an Egyptologist for each group....the crew were very hot on hygeine and you could not enter the dining room without using the hand gel...the first time we had come across it!!

We were scrupulous about handwashing and only using bottled water....even for teeth cleaning...no salad or ice in drinks...and we were fine...I did take wet wipes for when we were off the boat to wipe our hands (I now take antiseptic hand gel) and faces. On our table of 10 just one girl had an upset tummy and she had eaten a salad...the rest of us were fine.

I would highly recommend this cruise to anyone who is interested in the amazing Egyptian history...although it was tiring with all the excursions (included in the fare) and in hindsight we should have had a week in Luxor to recover!!

I would be really interested to hear from any of you who have done a Nile river cruise - there is a forum on here for this but the information isn't too helpful and not geared too much to the UK market. Thomson do advertise them. Has anyone booked a Nile cruise through Thomson and can pass on their experience of their river boats/standard of accommodation/food - and especially hygiene!

I do appreciate the difference between this type of cruise and the usual Thomson product (e.g. I know there won't be the entertainment on board that we're used to) but any advice, ideas and particularly recommendations of boats would be really appreciated. :)

I am due to go on a Thomson 4t nile cruise on weds 13th jan, if we can get to our airport as we have quiet a lot of snow and we don't seem to cope to well her in the uk with snow, when we get back (if we get) I will let you know what it's like :o

I am due to go on a Thomson 4t nile cruise on weds 13th jan, if we can get to our airport as we have quiet a lot of snow and we don't seem to cope to well her in the uk with snow, when we get back (if we get) I will let you know what it's like :o

Great! Thanks for that. Hope you 'escape' ok and have a wonderful time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I personally would think it would be too hot!!! We went in February and it was hot then.....remember it is inland so much hotter than the coast, I just checked on the weather site and on 10 June (date I picked at random) last year it was 42 degrees!!!

Hi,

We're planning to go in June and then have a week in Luxor, could anyone tell me if the heat is really unbearable please.

Wendy

Hi, I remember flying out there 0n April 20th 4 years ago, the 1st visit was the Valley of the Kings on the morning of day 2 (48c by 10.30) it was great but it was such a relief to go back to the ship for a lie-down in the cabin with air con. switched on for half an hour before lunch, then it was Temple of Hatshepsut and Karnak Temple in the afternoon (where a lady fainted near me as we stood listening to the guide although everyone else coped ok) Next day i gave the morning excursion a miss to sunbathe on deck for a rest while my husband went with the group, it was very hot all week, certainly hot enough for me, hubby did all the excursions i missed two out I would be put off going after about the middle of May myself but everyone's different you may be a lot tougher than me, wonder what others may have to say, hope this helps i.m sorry I haven't been able to say how June is.:)

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the advice about the heat, I've got chance of a week at the end of March now, so the temperature should be OK then, just waiting to see if my husband can change the date of his holiday. Didn't intend going this early in the year as we only came back from a six week holiday to Hong Kong, Australia and Bangkok at the end of November, but still who is counting eh?

Regards,

Wendy

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the advice about the heat, I've got chance of a week at the end of March now, so the temperature should be OK then, just waiting to see if my husband can change the date of his holiday. Didn't intend going this early in the year as we only came back from a six week holiday to Hong Kong, Australia and Bangkok at the end of November, but still who is counting eh?

Regards,

Wendy

Just 36 hours after we arrived home from the Nile cruise we were back at the airport for a day trip to Iceland, it was like going from the desert to the North Pole (also went back to work during those 36 hours) why let life be boring..... hope it all goes well for you, Carole.

Just 36 hours after we arrived home from the Nile cruise we were back at the airport for a day trip to Iceland, it was like going from the desert to the North Pole (also went back to work during those 36 hours) why let life be boring..... hope it all goes well for you, Carole.

Wow Carole, that must have been a shock to the system. Forgot to say the Nile cruise that we are thinking of booking is with First Choice - The Orchid - has anyone done one of these??

My own fault i suppose for arranging it like that and hubby does have a good sense of humour, i saw the Iceland day tour advertised after the Nile trip was booked so we decided to go for it as i'd been wanting to pop up there for ages. Mind you we were delayed 16 hours at Luxor airport coming back so that didn't help. Hope your husband can sort his holidays at work ok

Archived