Southern Carribean Advice Please

Embracedbylife

I have spent two days reading the ports of call posts and unfortunately the boards are not as active as this one, so I hope you don't mind me posting my questions here as opposed to the port board:

Bonaire - We are trying to decide between going to Klein Bonaire Beach and doing our own snorkeling (hope to rent equipment at the beach) versus doing the Discover Scuba excurision. Just some background we have both been studying the PADI certification books and are a bit more prepared for the Intro Scuba as we took an intro course on a ship before but didn't complete the dives becuase of time constraints. So I hear Bonaire is the place to Dive and we are trying to figure out whether to do the Discover dive and try our hand at a shallow dive or just do the scuba at the beach?

Grenada - Is the snorkeling any good here? Trying to choose between these 3 princess tours:

1. Party Cruise boat to Mourne Rouge Beach (no snorkeling, just sail and beach with live calypso music).

2. Snorkel off Flamingo bay and then 40 min's at Mourne Rouge beach

3. Snorkel & Swim (not sure which beach)

Dominica - Trying to decide between the TiTou Gorge versus Champagne Snorkeling?

Besides Bonaire where else is good for snorkeling? Thanks so much!

I enjoyed the spice tour on Grenada which we booked privately.

I think in Dominica there is a guy who does private tours to some fabulous beaches (my bro and SIL did that cuz she was pregnant so couldn't river tube with us).

Bonaire would be good for snorkeling or diving as it's beaches are mostly very shelly or corally but the water is pristine.

ENJOY. That S. Carib is a fun cruise.

I have spent two days reading the ports of call posts and unfortunately the boards are not as active as this one, so I hope you don't mind me posting my questions here as opposed to the port board:

Bonaire - We are trying to decide between going to Klein Bonaire Beach and doing our own snorkeling (hope to rent equipment at the beach) versus doing the Discover Scuba excurision. Just some background we have both been studying the PADI certification books and are a bit more prepared for the Intro Scuba as we took an intro course on a ship before but didn't complete the dives becuase of time constraints. So I hear Bonaire is the place to Dive and we are trying to figure out whether to do the Discover dive and try our hand at a shallow dive or just do the scuba at the beach?

Grenada - Is the snorkeling any good here? Trying to choose between these 3 princess tours:

1. Party Cruise boat to Mourne Rouge Beach (no snorkeling, just sail and beach with live calypso music).

Dominica - Trying to decide between the TiTou Gorge versus Champagne Snorkeling?

We have snorkelled from Kleine Bonaire a couple of times, and it is fantastic. Just do the Princess "water taxi" excursion...and if you don't want to take your own stuff, they have snorkelling equipment. You don't need fins there....just walk down the beach, get in the water, and swim out thru the coral and let the current carry you along side the reef to where you started and then do it all over again.

We have also done the Champagne Reef in Dominica...interesting and easy to do. Just take a cab and you can access the reef from the shore.

my video (not the best) of Kleine Bonaire.....

We have snorkelled from Kleine Bonaire a couple of times, and it is fantastic. Just do the Princess "water taxi" excursion...and if you don't want to take your own stuff, they have snorkelling equipment. You don't need fins there....just walk down the beach, get in the water, and swim out thru the coral and let the current carry you along side the reef to where you started and then do it all over again.

We have also done the Champagne Reef in Dominica...interesting and easy to do. Just take a cab and you can access the reef from the shore.

my video (not the best) of Kleine Bonaire.....

Thanks. Was the Bonaire snorkeling much better than Dominica and/or St. Thomas? Any idea on the Snorkeling in Grenada? We also plan to snorkel in St. Thomas so it just might be too much snorkeling if there is such a thing? LOL. If the Champaign Snorkel in Dominica isn't all that good we'll just do snorkeling in Grenada instead. Just so much to decide!!

Because of its ease of access, I think that the Champagne reef is worth it just because it is so unique.....there are fish, (and when we were there alot of small jellyfish that bothered some people)....not huge numbers of fish like you will find elsewhere, but it was interesting.

There are some videos on youtube...check them out

Thanks. Was the Bonaire snorkeling much better than Dominica and/or St. Thomas? Any idea on the Snorkeling in Grenada? We also plan to snorkel in St. Thomas so it just might be too much snorkeling if there is such a thing? LOL. If the Champaign Snorkel in Dominica isn't all that good we'll just do snorkeling in Grenada instead. Just so much to decide!!

We love the snorkel in Kleine Bonaire...not as good as Hawaii, but very easy and relaxing...let the current do all the work.

Lots of fish at Coki Beach in St Thomas...that is another easy one to do.

We have never snorkelled Grenada

Half the fun is having to make decisions. Enjoy

On the southern end of town south of the pier is a resort called Divi Flamingo. They offer discover dives and its right off their dock.

We had a great time with their instructors/dive masters. Its a great little dive and easy to get to..

http://www.diviresorts.com/DiviFlamingo/bonaire-scuba-diving-vacation.html

This is where I would do the discovery dive. I agree about the champagne snorkel in Dominica. In St. Thomas our group hired a private charter through Princess that took us snorkeling. It was less expensive than doing the group snorkel. I haven't snorkeled in Grenada, but I haven't heard anything great about it either.

Thanks so much chrysalis! I'm not a fan of jelly fish so this is helping me decide against snorkeling at Champaign Reef and perhaps snorkel in Granada and St. Thomas instead.

Anyone have a favorite excursion in Grenada? Any preference over snorkeling in Dominica versus St. Thomas? Thanks again for all the input.

On the southern end of town south of the pier is a resort called Divi Flamingo. They offer discover dives and its right off their dock.

We had a great time with their instructors/dive masters. Its a great little dive and easy to get to..

http://www.diviresorts.com/DiviFlamingo/bonaire-scuba-diving-vacation.html

This is where I would do the discovery dive. I agree about the champagne snorkel in Dominica. In St. Thomas our group hired a private charter through Princess that took us snorkeling. It was less expensive than doing the group snorkel. I haven't snorkeled in Grenada, but I haven't heard anything great about it either.

We stayed there a couple of times in years past; and, the snorkeling just off their pier was outstanding. It was so good that many of the divers told me that it was as good or better than their dives. It is witing walking distance of the ship; and, it may be that they now might charge for use of their pier, but of this I am not certain.

Wow, so perhaps this is a better alternative to the discover dive in Bonaire. I like the idea of snorkeling here. How is the beach itself? Is it good for relaxing on also? I don't know anything about the orientation of the pier. Facing the land with the water/ship to your back do you walk right or left down the pier to find this place? We may consider this area to snorkel in instead of the dive!

Thanks! I read the beaches in Dominica have volcanoe type sand so i'm not sure about the beaches, but i like the idea of the champaign reef snorkeling if it's even any good?

Grenada - The sand at Grand Anse Beach is velvety soft, as is the sand in the ocean floor there (no rocks, moss or other junk). There's no snorkeling there - just pristine beach area if you head away from the touristy part of it and go in front of Hotel Allamanda.

Dominica - We all thought Titou Gorge was the highlight of Dominica and well worth the terrible roads to get there and do it since it's such a unique thing to do. You can see the part of the cave where Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed too. Not sure about the sand at the beaches there. And, remember that this island tends to get more rain than the others.

Aruba is supposed to have some great snorkeling and I believe it. There is so much coral in the sea there and it's very, very shallow. There are quite a few shipwrecks to snorkel over if you like that.

Snorkeling in St. John was interesting once.

Having been to all of these islands a number of times, here are my suggestions:

Dominica - I highly recommend going to - and swimming in - Titou Gorge. It is a one-of-a-kind experience. The water is very cold, but you're only in there for a short time. Definitely a keeper. On the other hand, I was VERY disappointed with snorkeling at Champagne Reef. The bubbles are interesting, but the reef itself seems to be dead or dying with not many interesting fish.

Bonaire - The last time we were there, we went snorkeling with Renee. She takes a very small group (4-6 people) to some local spots. She's a good snorkeling guide and pointed out barracuda, squid, eels, pufferfish, as well as the usual varieties. We're returning to Bonaire in the spring and I've already contacted her to reserve. I booked with her again only because my husband doesn't want to snorkel again, and it's never a good idea to swim/snorkel alone. You CAN easily snorkel cheaply on Bonaire. Walk down past the Divi hotel where you can step into the water and snorkel. I've snorkeled on all over the Caribbean, and Bonaire is by far the best! You may find this forum helpful: http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/22932/22932.html

Grenada - The snorkeling was pretty good at Magazine Beach, which is south of Grand Anse. I don't remember how much the cab was - we shared it with another couple from the ship.

Enjoy!

Wow, so perhaps this is a better alternative to the discover dive in Bonaire. I like the idea of snorkeling here. How is the beach itself? Is it good for relaxing on also? I don't know anything about the orientation of the pier. Facing the land with the water/ship to your back do you walk right or left down the pier to find this place? We may consider this area to snorkel in instead of the dive!
It has been a few years since we were there, but the beach was not much. Your relaxing was best done on the pier. As guests we had access to the chairs thereon, but I am unaware as to what would be allowed for cruisers. You might want to try their link. By the way, you would walk right about one mile.

Bonaire diving is great!

Dominica do the Titou Gorge!!! You can snorkel a lot of other places but the Gorge is here! Did this itinerary last year and the gorge was my favorite excursion! We did an excursion that took us to some waterfalls then the Gorge and then some natural hot springs..FANTASTIC!! By the way the Gorge is COLD water.....but Very refreshing. I wasn't thrilled about the cold at first but afterward WOW!

The snorkeling in Grenada is pretty good better than St Thomas IMHO.

thanks again everyone for all your input. I'm feeling more comfortable with my decisions now. I think we'll do theTitou Gorge in Dominica rather than the snorkeling and save that for Grenanda and St. Thomas.

Bonaire - I did a lot of reading last night on the scuba/diving review board and it seems like the princess discover dive is kinda a waste of time in that you are with 20 other people and spend most of the day waiting for others to learn with you and get into the water. I really don't want to dive with 20 others so - for those who have experience here. Is it better to do a discover dive at Divi Flamingo near the ship or do snorkeling in Bonaire off of Klein Bonaire beach and just taking the princess boat/taxi over to the beach?

Grenada - How much time would we need on the pier to walk around & shop to buy a few spice necklaces and other trinkets? We have a choice of 2 snorkel & swim excursions. One is frmo 12:30-5:30 and the other from 12:30-4pm. The ship leaves at 7:00pm and i'm inclined to do the longer tour to enjoy the beaches more but want enough time at the pier/town also.

St. Thomas. We'll be here from 8am-6pm. I hear we'll need time to shop and possibly some time to taxi out to see the skyride? Is the skyride worth the trip out to that mall area to head up?

Also, any idea which excursion is better:

1. Bus to Boat that takes us to St. John's. Snorkel and sit on beach at St. John's.

2. Sail 1 hr to bucket Island and snorkel at Turtle Cove then go tto Honemoon Beach to relax.

3. Take Boat to St. John's then take bus to Trunk bay to snorkel and beach.

There's a shopping mall at the pier in Grenada. You have to walk through part of it to exit the ship, but it's really much bigger than it looks at first. They had all the usual spice things you might want. I'm sure the prices are a bit higher than if you go further afield, but it is very convenient. You could easily get your shopping done there or in the shops near the pier in probably an hour.

Remember that if the ship leaves at 7pm, you have to be ON the ship by 6:30pm at the latest. Make sure you stress that fact to the tour you plan to take because they definitely have a "manana" attitude about times there. If you see it getting close to the time when you should be leaving the dive site, start reminding them.

Been to Honeymoon Bay and it is pretty, but I didn't think it was that unique. Plus, there can be a strong current there at times. I had to 'rescue' the rest of the people in our group and help them get back out to our 2 sail boats that were anchored off shore. I can hold my own in an ocean, but that current was strong, so just be aware of it if you go there.

I've also been to Caneel Bay and thought it was prettier, although there are TONS of sea urchins and you really have to float there so as not to step on the urchins. I've never seen so many sea urchins in my life. Friends saw a shark while we were snorkeling and it scared them to death. :D Sorry, can't help with Trunk Bay, but I'm sure others can.

Dominica - We all thought Titou Gorge was the highlight of Dominica and well worth the terrible roads to get there and do it since it's such a unique thing to do. You can see the part of the cave where Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed too. Not sure about the sand at the beaches there. And, remember that this island tends to get more rain than the others.

Did you do this with the cruise company or privately? Can you recommend anybody as we are going there in April:confused:

Did you do this with the cruise company or privately? Can you recommend anybody as we are going there in April:confused:

We used Levi Bumpiing (do a search and it will come up - yes, there are two "i"s). His service was okay. A bit slow and unorganized, but the drivers were really good on those terrible roads.

I can say that We did Klein and it's one of the most beuatiful beaches in the Caribbean! It's not crowded, and you can walk down the beach and be completely issolated. I would HIGHLY suggest it. I've got pictures of my kids there, but have no idea how to post them here. If you advise, I'd gladly share them, as I still think about this beach!

Thanks so much for the picture!! I think i'm sold!! :) Looks like you don't need water shoes either which is great!

I also read we can just rent scuba gear off the princess transfer boat is this true?

Heard there are not bathrooms?

Can we just take the boat back to the ship at anytime or we have to wait for the return time?

Many thanks again for all your info!!!

Archived