Is it true that the bubbly welcome is not offered now on cruises?

cacj

The cost of fuel alone has tripled in the last few years...that is a major expense to anyone in transportation...I would speculate the increase in fares have far from matched the increase in operational costs.

I don't understand why people say increase the cost and include more...by how much? If you want more, you have every opportunity of increasing the overall cost. If you book a suite you get a whole bottle of champagne; you can have anything in life that you are willing to pay for.

Let's say they increased the cost by $700 to include all alcohol...that's 100 drinks a week or 14 per day. You wouldn't even remember the cruise if you consumed that much. Or they can leave it the way it is and let you decide on what is right for you and allow you to have control of your checkbook.

Agree 100%

I heard as of Jan 2010 bubbly gone and free cappucino / espresso in dining room gone. If you want it you must now pay for it.

hmmm on the Cap and expresso I have an email from the President of NCL that there were still doing it with no plans to remove it...from October

"On the cappuccino question, I can assure you that cappuccinos remain complimentary in all of the restaurants. There is only a charge for coffees at bars (such as the Java Café on our Jewel class ships and any bar with an espresso machine on our other ships). redacted ..... I’m sorry if you heard otherwise while on board. In addition, we closely monitor guest feedback and based on that feedback, the turndown mints have been discontinued fleetwide."

The bubbly welcome-aboard was the only improvement that came from Freestyle 2.0, IMHO.

And now they don't have it anymore.

I'm going on my next cruise (next week - YOOHOO) open minded but this cruise will make it or break it because NCL used to be such a great cruiseline and they cut back on so many things that I am reconsidering.

Oh, I would not say that, what about the wonderful beds and linens for starters? Someone just isn't very happy it sounds like. I too will miss the bubbly, but it isn't a make or break..One little 2 oz glass of cheap sprarkling wine, big deal...

As for the cappucino, I am sure lots of people will miss it, but there are no other lines that offer it free to my knowledge. Don't you guys all think the cruise lines, like hotel chains, restaurants etc pay attention to what others are doing and base their decisions on the information they get...

Nita

Since I am the OP, let me clarify....yes, I was asking if anyone else could confirm their experiences on the current/recent 2010 cruises (I would change my original thread subject line, but I don't think I can)....and also, since the "fact" of the disappearance of the bubbly and cappucino was embedded in a thread about something else, I wanted to have a thread deal with just this particular report.....I didn't realize I would offend some thread police here.

That being said, many valid responses are in this thread and a few predictable digressions.

Yes, it is cheap champagne, and yes the cappucino is available at the coffee bars....these are obvious points. It is not a question of price....the point is that these amenities are ways to enhance an experience.

If we end up paying for each and every individual amenity, why not have coin operated soap dispensers thruout the ship every time you wish to bathe? Or a coin operated towel dispenser....or better yet....if you want the comfy mattress, you can have it, but it will cost you $50 more.

Come on, folks.....corporate culture is to keep on telling the customer "that's the breaks, folks" while they keep on increasing their profits....if ANY industry wants loyal customers, it should WORK for that....I am tired of being told by corporations that "this is the way it is" now.

Amenities are a way to enhance the customer's experience and to help the business become distinctly identifiable.

If a corporation had its ways, we would just hand them the money and they would send us a video so we could just have a virtual experience.

Finally, just because NCL removes the bubbly or cappucino would not make us less likely to cruise NCL. That is not in our thinking....however, if costs and experiences are eroded so much, to the point that we feel like we are not valued as a customer...then we will drop NCL or any cruise or airline without looking back.

If the times are so rough for industries, then instead of being so arrogant, why aren't corporations seeking ways to say "consumer, we cannot make it without you!"

I say, It is time for the consumer to stand up and say "if you want my money, you better woo me."

I can imagine that it saves quite a bit of money not having to wash (and stock) 2,000+ champagne glasses that are most likely left throughout the entire ship to be picked up.

I guarantee you the crew are happy for that exact reason. Those flute glasses are a huge PITA to serve, polish, handle, store, and wash.

Personally I don't really care for the bubbly nor the cappuccino/espresso machine, but I understand why some are bummed out by this. I'd be very disappointed if they stop having free ice cream either.

Just returned from 2 weeks on Jade and no champagne welcome. No welcome at all! We arrived (along with MANY others!) to find NOBODY to greet us as we boarded, searched out a member of staff who said "go and ask at reception" we had to make a fuss just to be directed to a lift and our stateroom.

Rather set the tone for the sloppy service for the rest of the trip. My overriding view of NCL is that Freestyle means they can do whatever they want and stuff the customer. Yet they charge more for tips than on Cunard - where the customer is treated royally!

You are comparing apples to grapefruit. Cunard charges 2 to 3 times more for a cruise than NCL. I would hope you would get better service and everything else. Beleive me, I have very few clients that can or will pay the Cunard prices, not to mention the formality part that many want to escape today. For those who love cruising lines like Cunard mass marketed lines like NCL and RCI are certainly not for them. For those who enjoy lines like NCL Cunard may not work. Let's look at this thing fairly..

Nita

Come on, folks.....corporate culture is to keep on telling the customer "that's the breaks, folks" while they keep on increasing their profits....if ANY industry wants loyal customers, it should WORK for that....I am tired of being told by corporations that "this is the way it is" now.

I seriously doubt NCL would do something like this just to increase their profits. I would think they are doing it so they can stay profitable.

JMHO

PE

Since I am the OP, let me clarify....yes, I was asking if anyone else could confirm their experiences on the current/recent 2010 cruises (I would change my original thread subject line, but I don't think I can)....and also, since the "fact" of the disappearance of the bubbly and cappucino was embedded in a thread about something else, I wanted to have a thread deal with just this particular report.....I didn't realize I would offend some thread police here.

That being said, many valid responses are in this thread and a few predictable digressions.

Yes, it is cheap champagne, and yes the cappucino is available at the coffee bars....these are obvious points. It is not a question of price....the point is that these amenities are ways to enhance an experience.

If we end up paying for each and every individual amenity, why not have coin operated soap dispensers thruout the ship every time you wish to bathe? Or a coin operated towel dispenser....or better yet....if you want the comfy mattress, you can have it, but it will cost you $50 more.

Amenities are a way to enhance the customer's experience and to help the business become distinctly identifiable.

If a corporation had its ways, we would just hand them the money and they would send us a video so we could just have a virtual experience.

Finally, just because NCL removes the bubbly or cappucino would not make us less likely to cruise NCL. That is not in our thinking....however, if costs and experiences are eroded so much, to the point that we feel like we are not valued as a customer...then we will drop NCL or any cruise or airline without looking back.

If the times are so rough for industries, then instead of being so arrogant, why aren't corporations seeking ways to say "consumer, we cannot make it without you!"

I say, It is time for the consumer to stand up and say "if you want my money, you better woo me."

What part of the economy cut backs are so hard for you and a few others to understand? You can drop NCL for another cruise line, but what makes you think they are not cutting back as well? This goes for airlines, hotels, etc. Again, a little think like a 2 oz glass of cheap wine would never affect most people's feelings for being special, but multiply that by all the cruisers and all the ships, think about how much the cruise line can save yearly? I care more about keeping the pricing at an affordable rate so people can cruise. If a glass of wine is going to woo you, wow, is all I have to say!!! I am guessing 75% or more of the cruisers care less about these little things. Now, when service goes totally downhill, the crew become rude and everything is below par, then I would think about changing lines.

Nita

Did you read fully? I never stated that wine loss would affect our cruising...however, profit margins are forever widening and the "economy" is blamed for bad service or "cut backs"..... this is used over and over by corporations....they take away and never, when the economy stabilizes, give it back....it is fact.

My discussion had more to do with the fact that corporations do not value customers any more...they give no credit to the customer for getting them to their place in the market....as an example, car rental companies have removed the "grace period" for a return....if you don't get it back on the dot, you get charged whopping hourly fees. When asked about this, the car rental agency said, "it cut into their profit margin"....

There is little belief that one customer can make a difference....lose one, there are ten to replace them, newer folks who never knew what the previous "amenities" or "traditions" were.

And we, the consumer, are buying that line of hooey...too many of us just roll over and say, "okay."

As I said, an amenity is going to enhance one's perception of the experience. No amenities, fewer who see cruising as a unique and worthwhile experience.

You say it is about keeping cruising affordable, I get it. Affordability is not always synonymous with bare bones, stripped down and dull.

Again, I am not sure you fully read my earlier post....but I did say that when an experience becomes so eroded, it is time to move on.

What part of the economy cut backs are so hard for you and a few others to understand? You can drop NCL for another cruise line, but what makes you think they are not cutting back as well? This goes for airlines, hotels, etc. Again, a little think like a 2 oz glass of cheap wine would never affect most people's feelings for being special, but multiply that by all the cruisers and all the ships, think about how much the cruise line can save yearly? I care more about keeping the pricing at an affordable rate so people can cruise. If a glass of wine is going to woo you, wow, is all I have to say!!! I am guessing 75% or more of the cruisers care less about these little things. Now, when service goes totally downhill, the crew become rude and everything is below par, then I would think about changing lines.

Nita

Unfortunately what you suggested (spending more to "woo" potential customers during difficult economic times) will never fly in the business world. There is way too much risks involved.

The one good thing about NCL right now is that they're a private company and doesn't have shareholders to answer to, so they have a bit more freedom to do things a public company may not. This doesn't mean they will go out and spend a whole bunch of money on product improvements though.

You're thinking like an individual consumer, put on the CEO hat and you'll see that the industry isn't growing much, revenue has dropped/flatlined, debts are rising, cash/investments are being used up and returns are dwindling. Then you have to answer to your shareholders (not Kevin Sheehan, but he does have other bosses to answer to from Appolo and Star Cruises). The only thing for a large company to do these days is to cut cost, hope the company survives and you keep your job until times are better, then plan for the future.

You are comparing apples to grapefruit. Cunard charges 2 to 3 times more for a cruise than NCL. I would hope you would get better service and everything else. Beleive me, I have very few clients that can or will pay the Cunard prices, not to mention the formality part that many want to escape today. For those who love cruising lines like Cunard mass marketed lines like NCL and RCI are certainly not for them. For those who enjoy lines like NCL Cunard may not work. Let's look at this thing fairly..

Nita

Hi Nina

I usually don't comment on things like this, however, you seem to be misinformed about pricing on NCL/Cunard.

We cruised for 28 glorious days on the Queen Victoria this past summer. I love the formality and ambiance and service on Cunard (have also been on QM2). We have had balcony cabins and paid comparatively less than we are paying on an upcoming NCL cruise next month for a mini suite (which is probably the equivalent of a Cunard balcony).

We chose NCL this time because of the fabulous ports, and after reading these boards for the past few weeks, we are going with some reservation. Yes, cappuccino was included at dinner on Cunard, along with free shuttles at all the ports, fabulous food, and not feeling the necessity of going to Todd English (the only alternative restaurant) for a superb meal. There has always been a bottle of bubbly waiting for us in our cabins. There were never any “public service” announcements and all venues were nicely attended. Their lectures were wonderful, and never a “hard sell” about shopping in the ports.

Perhaps NCL should take some lessons from Cunard.

Lorraine:)

We watched a video on embarkation on the newly updated NCL website and they showed and mentioned champaign upon entering a ship.

I noticed that too--and they also have the following in print:

Boarding the Ship is a Breeze!

Watch Freestyle Embarkation and you'll be sipping bubbly before you know it...

Then the above mentioned video is attached.

No biggie, but for those of us who have become accustomed to it, it is a bit of a letdown, and all the sooner I will have to uncork the bottle I have paid my corkage on (in the US-- where they allow that!).

When we took our POA cruise in December 2009 we were greeted with the bubbly welcome...which we really enjoy as a nice way to say "hello", "welcome aboard" and it also makes us instantly relax.

Now I have read that they have eliminated this....is it so? Too bad if they have removed this ritual.

Yes, it is a pity but no small deal for us....alcohol of any type we can take or leave! Having said that, your post caused me to look out last years NCL brochure (UK) and compare it to the 2010 one. Interestingly the 2009 one under the title "We're kicking it up a few notches" headlines the "complimentary glass of bubbly to welcome you on board". However, the 2010 brochure is silent regarding both the title and the headline, certainly nothing like e.g. We're kicking it down a notch!

Sorry you had cause to write in a later post that "I didn't realize I would offend some thread police here."....sadly they appear on many threads...just to keep us right!!

I noticed that too--and they also have the following in print:

Boarding the Ship is a Breeze!

Watch Freestyle Embarkation and you'll be sipping bubbly before you know it...

But do they still say it is free??

Hi Nina

I usually don't comment on things like this, however, you seem to be misinformed about pricing on NCL/Cunard.

We cruised for 28 glorious days on the Queen Victoria this past summer. I love the formality and ambiance and service on Cunard (have also been on QM2). We have had balcony cabins and paid comparatively less than we are paying on an upcoming NCL cruise next month for a mini suite (which is probably the equivalent of a Cunard balcony).

We chose NCL this time because of the fabulous ports, and after reading these boards for the past few weeks, we are going with some reservation. Yes, cappuccino was included at dinner on Cunard, along with free shuttles at all the ports, fabulous food, and not feeling the necessity of going to Todd English (the only alternative restaurant) for a superb meal. There has always been a bottle of bubbly waiting for us in our cabins. There were never any “public service” announcements and all venues were nicely attended. Their lectures were wonderful, and never a “hard sell” about shopping in the ports.

Perhaps NCL should take some lessons from Cunard.

Lorraine:)

Kinda neat to hear that you can get a balcony relatively cheap on Cunard, might have to try someday!

As for NCL learning from Cunard regarding how they do things, you got to remember that the clientele is totally different between the two lines, what is accepted on Cunard will not work for NCL and vice versa. That's why the 2 lines exists and there are other ones to fill in the different niches. ;)

But do they still say it is free??

No--they are silent on the complimentary part....

The latest I heard was the Drink of the Day was being offered (at cost) with no "bubbly" around even to be purchased. Will let you know if that is true in a few days.

Like I said, I will have a bottle in tow that I have pd corkage on, since I have been trained like Pavlov's dog that my cruise does not start until I have my bubbly!:rolleyes:

It's not that we can't afford our own bubbly, or wine, or whatever...it's that the cruiseline is cutting back on a little "thank you" welcome. Like everything else these days it won't stop until the consumer puts on the breaks. :mad:

It's not that we can't afford our own bubbly, or wine, or whatever...it's that the cruiseline is cutting back on a little "thank you" welcome. Like everything else these days it won't stop until the consumer puts on the breaks. :mad:

Or they go out of business. Good example the lovely tourist trap Tavern on the Green--always booked, and overpriced. Yet they closed their doors this past week.

The way I see it is that everyone has a different threshold for what constitutes "Enough is enough!" One person may draw the line at no champagne welcome; another at no espresso/cappuccino. Others are indifferent.

Who remembers back a few years ago when NCL imposed a surcharge on a Laura Branigan performance (hit single "Gloria", which also appeared in the Flashdance soundtrack - may she rest in peace)? I don't believe they ever tried doing that again, perhaps because of all the negative feedback that they received.

The only way that NCL (or any business) will change is through customer feedback. Let them know how you feel about these changes. If enough people do it, NCL will probably listen.

Or they go out of business. Good example the lovely tourist trap Tavern on the Green--always booked, and overpriced. Yet they closed their doors this past week.

Did they go out of business because they failed? Or were they simply bought out by someone who is going to refurbish it and then reopen it? I thought it was the latter but I could be wrong.

The way I see it is that everyone has a different threshold for what constitutes "Enough is enough!" One person may draw the line at no champagne welcome; another at no espresso/cappuccino. Others are indifferent.

Who remembers back a few years ago when NCL imposed a surcharge on a Laura Branigan performance (hit single "Gloria", which also appeared in the Flashdance soundtrack - may she rest in peace)? I don't believe they ever tried doing that again, perhaps because of all the negative feedback that they received.

The only way that NCL (or any business) will change is through customer feedback. Let them know how you feel about these changes. If enough people do it, NCL will probably listen.

I think you sums it up well.

Did they go out of business because they failed? Or were they simply bought out by someone who is going to refurbish it and then reopen it? I thought it was the latter but I could be wrong.

From what I read--and it was just the AP article--business had failed,and hence the business was sold. There was a legal argument that surrounded the purchaser if they could use the name or not. They are planning major renovations and not having anything of the original motif which is part of the argument against them using the name.

From what I read--and it was just the AP article--business had failed,and hence the business was sold. There was a legal argument that surrounded the purchaser if they could use the name or not. They are planning major renovations and not having anything of the original motif which is part of the argument against them using the name.

Got it. Looks like you're right. I did a quick Google News search and found out that the restaurant filed for bankruptcy back in September.

Archived