Is it true that the bubbly welcome is not offered now on cruises?

cacj

We were on the Dec 20 2009 - Jan 3 2010 SUN's South America cruise from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires.

No bubbly welcome - possibly because the check-in was aboard the ship (in the secondary dining room) and/or we checked in late (at about 3:30 pm for the 5pm sailing).

All coffee machines in Garden Cafe were out of bounds to guests. They were roped off with the staff within the ropes - they made and served coffee to us.

All coffees were available to guests in all dining rooms - you had a choice! We've had coffee, espresso, cappuccino at end of our meals.

No in-room coffee machines - but they are available on request.

As for the bedding on SUN - they were never changed out as part of Freestyle and I was very peeved about it - uncomfortable to too hard for me and they ran out of egg crates. We have foam topped bed here at home and I didn't have a proper night's sleep for the whole 14 days. Previous cruises on Pearl and Jade were wonderful so I felt very cheated while on SUN.

Gone was lamb. gone was steak, gone was beef wellington, gone was any lobster.

Sadly (or should I say happily) you are wrong!

All of them were available on Sun. The sirloin steak is listed on the Always Available menu in the MDRs (and we heard they are good), and one night in MDR both beef wellington and lobster tails were on the menu (separately) and we had both!

We have seen lamb on menus but didn't have it.

The thread was about getting a free glass of cheap champagne upon boarding...mind you I've nothing against cheap champagne (as long as the first bottle was good champagne...after the 1st bottle I can't tell the difference so much :))

I can imagine that it saves quite a bit of money not having to wash (and stock) 2,000+ champagne glasses that are most likely left throughout the entire ship to be picked up.

Perhaps I just don't understand exactly what someone expects after paying $800 for a week long vacation in a $400,000,000 floating hotel. Are the expectations realistic for the price paid?

All of them were available on Sun. The sirloin steak is listed on the Always Available menu in the MDRs (and we heard they are good), and one night in MDR both beef wellington and lobster tails were on the menu (separately) and we had both!

This was pre-Freestyle 2.0.

There was one cruise on the Spirit when I thought the menu wasn't as good as it used to be but still, I managed to find things that I liked and had not even realized all those people's favorite were completely gone.

Obviously, the OP wanted to know if anyone else had heard this.

I see...Good Point.

But couldn't that have been asked in the other thread where the topic was already being discussed as opposed to opening a completely new thread to discuss the same topic? :confused:

And BTW...not really that obvious....The OP asked if it was "true", not if anyone else heard it.

It was a nice touch... if it is an important start to your cruise why not go to a nice bar on ship and purchase a glass or order a bottle for your cabin or bring a bottle with? I realize this involves YOU paying for it, as opposed to it being included in your cruise price, but if it starts things off for you they way you would like, why not? It would take more than missing a free glass of inexpensive champagne or sparkling wine for me not to cruise NCL again... but that is something everyone has to decide for themselves.

Agree. Was it a nice touch? Yes. A big deal? No. Enough to make me change cruise lines or vacation type? Please. Ridiculous. Would I rather have a glass of inexpensive champagne along with a requirement to dress formally (for no good reason whatsoever)? I don't think so.

Let's get a grip, folks, and stop dwelling on the trivial. Let's also hope our cruise line stays in business.

(...)

Perhaps I just don't understand exactly what someone expects after paying $800 for a week long vacation in a $400,000,000 floating hotel. Are the expectations realistic for the price paid?

I am just expecting what they WERE giving us for the same (or lower) price a few years ago. Why didn't they put the price up (just a bit, following inflation - I think they did actually, except on the itinerary and ships they can't sell) to maintain the same level of service/amenities we were used to?

I am just expecting what they WERE giving us for the same (or lower) price a few years ago. Why didn't they put the price up (just a bit, following inflation - I think they did actually, except on the itinerary and ships they can't sell) to maintain the same level of service/amenities we were used to?

The cost of fuel alone has tripled in the last few years...that is a major expense to anyone in transportation...I would speculate the increase in fares have far from matched the increase in operational costs.

I don't understand why people say increase the cost and include more...by how much? If you want more, you have every opportunity of increasing the overall cost. If you book a suite you get a whole bottle of champagne; you can have anything in life that you are willing to pay for.

Let's say they increased the cost by $700 to include all alcohol...that's 100 drinks a week or 14 per day. You wouldn't even remember the cruise if you consumed that much. Or they can leave it the way it is and let you decide on what is right for you and allow you to have control of your checkbook.

...and in the same vain why isn't Texaco selling me gasoline for the same price they used to sell it to me a few years ago. :rolleyes:

PE

I heard as of Jan 2010 bubbly gone and free cappucino / espresso in dining room gone. If you want it you must now pay for it.

I can take or leave the welcome glass of bubbly, but really enjoy the after dinner pick-me-up. I genuinely hope that isn't taken away. The regular coffee was just plain bad on the last trip.

I can take or leave the welcome glass of bubbly, but really enjoy the after dinner pick-me-up. I genuinely hope that isn't taken away. The regular coffee was just plain bad on the last trip.

If the gratis service is taken away, just save 40 cents a day until your October cruise and put it aside. Then take that money and you and your travelmate can each have an after dinner Cappuccino every night and not be disappointed. :) Easy.

I am well aware they are back. I was talking about the past pre 2.0 changes. They pulled the always availble. If I recall correctly it stared in Nov 2006 on the Dawn and do to the complaints was modified early March 2007.

Bubbly welcome was bpart 2.0 announced in Dec 2007 and rolled out in 2008 so it is not something with a long history at NCL. Free espresso was one thing that always set NCL apart even in the worst of times.

The cost of fuel alone has tripled in the last few years...that is a major expense to anyone in transportation...I would speculate the increase in fares have far from matched the increase in operational costs.

I don't understand why people say increase the cost and include more...by how much? If you want more, you have every opportunity of increasing the overall cost. If you book a suite you get a whole bottle of champagne; you can have anything in life that you are willing to pay for.

Let's say they increased the cost by $700 to include all alcohol...that's 100 drinks a week or 14 per day. You wouldn't even remember the cruise if you consumed that much. Or they can leave it the way it is and let you decide on what is right for you and allow you to have control of your checkbook.

I tried to explain my point in a fair manner but now you are giving me intents that I do not have. Nowhere did I mention to charge me more to offer me included alcohol or (anything new for that matter), I just asked for the same product they were delivering a few years ago. So please keep this debate fair.

‘’The fuel costs have tripled’’ (if you go for ‘’at-least-doubled’’, I agree), this is a true and a valid point that I am glad someone mentioned because I am all for a fair debate. Unfortunately, I don’t know exactly what is the proportion of the costs on the total operating costs of the cruise line so it’s hard for me to say if I would have continued to sail if they followed the price increase. Is the 7$pp fuel surcharge representative? Then, yes, I would prefer to pay 70$ more for my 10-night cruise than having to go with the lesser-quality product NCL is becoming.

One example to show you that I am open-minded and understand a price increase when there is a good reason for it is that I am among the people who think the service charge increase from 10 to 12$ per day is normal since it had been at 10$ for decades from what I heard and 12$ reflects a little better what I would give as tips for one-night hotel and 3 decent meals per day (and I still tip extra on some circumstances).

I know I can buy anything I need or want. I do (commensurate to my budget). I go to some specialty restaurants but not every night, I purchase a drink or two per day, a few souvenirs, participate in some activities that are for a fee, etc. But it doesn’t change the fact that I don’t like what NCL is becoming, and it’s my personal choice.

If other people like NCL as much as they used to 7 years ago, I am sincerely happy for them. If other people think the way I do, then NCL should start taking better care of its passengers or they’ll go away and I think it is better tell them now so they can rectify if they judge it appropriate.

I tried to explain my point in a fair manner but now you are giving me intents that I do not have. Nowhere did I mention to charge me more to offer me included alcohol or (anything new for that matter), I just asked for the same product they were delivering a few years ago. So please keep this debate fair.

‘’The fuel costs have tripled’’ (if you go for ‘’at-least-doubled’’, I agree), this is a true and a valid point that I am glad someone mentioned because I am all for a fair debate. Unfortunately, I don’t know exactly what is the proportion of the costs on the total operating costs of the cruise line so it’s hard for me to say if I would have continued to sail if they followed the price increase. Is the 7$pp fuel surcharge representative? Then, yes, I would prefer to pay 70$ more for my 10-night cruise than having to go with the lesser-quality product NCL is becoming.

One example to show you that I am open-minded and understand a price increase when there is a good reason for it is that I am among the people who think the service charge increase from 10 to 12$ per day is normal since it had been at 10$ for decades from what I heard and 12$ reflects a little better what I would give as tips for one-night hotel and 3 decent meals per day (and I still tip extra on some circumstances).

I know I can buy anything I need or want. I do (commensurate to my budget). I go to some specialty restaurants but not every night, I purchase a drink or two per day, a few souvenirs, participate in some activities that are for a fee, etc. But it doesn’t change the fact that I don’t like what NCL is becoming, and it’s my personal choice.

If other people like NCL as much as they used to 7 years ago, I am sincerely happy for them. If other people think the way I do, then NCL should start taking better care of its passengers or they’ll go away and I think it is better tell them now so they can rectify if they judge it appropriate.

Well said and I appreciate your opinion. Thanks for taking the time to help enlighten me. ;)

If the gratis service is taken away, just save 40 cents a day until your October cruise and put it aside. Then take that money and you and your travelmate can each have an after dinner Cappuccino every night and not be disappointed. :) Easy.

Luckily my wife doesn't much care for coffee, so I'll only have to save about 20 cents a day. :)

We are beer drinkers, so it would not be missed.

For our last 3 cruises, the timing of when we boarded coincided with them running out of glasses as we boarded. We would see all these people walking about with their glass of bubbly or OJ, so we knew they were handing them out just before we got on. Maybe they have our photos posted somewhere? lol

Just returned from 2 weeks on Jade and no champagne welcome. No welcome at all! We arrived (along with MANY others!) to find NOBODY to greet us as we boarded, searched out a member of staff who said "go and ask at reception" we had to make a fuss just to be directed to a lift and our stateroom.

Rather set the tone for the sloppy service for the rest of the trip. My overriding view of NCL is that Freestyle means they can do whatever they want and stuff the customer. Yet they charge more for tips than on Cunard - where the customer is treated royally!

Rather set the tone for the sloppy service for the rest of the trip. My overriding view of NCL is that Freestyle means they can do whatever they want and stuff the customer. Yet they charge more for tips than on Cunard - where the customer is treated royally!

Then I hope you'll cruise Cunard and pay through the "royal";) nose.

I agree!!!!!

NCL...please leave the expresso and cappuccino when dining!!!

The bubbly welcome-aboard was the only improvement that came from Freestyle 2.0, IMHO.

And now they don't have it anymore.

I'm going on my next cruise (next week - YOOHOO) open minded but this cruise will make it or break it because NCL used to be such a great cruiseline and they cut back on so many things that I am reconsidering.

You know, I drove past my favorite restaurant yesterday and they were taking down the sign. Called and Friday was their last day.

My mother went to her favorite dress shop and it was empty. She called the owner. Closed - due to the economy.

There have been numerous cut backs at my office.

I seriously cannot blame NCL. They are just trying to keep afloat... ahem... stay in business. I am sure they have to cut back to stay profitable. And it must be hard in an industry of excess. People cruise and eat more food in a week than they usually eat in a month at home. And theres all those folks who want the cruise to be "all inclusive" and they get disillusioned when they have to pay extra for something above the base fare.

A glass of bubbly or a mint on the pillow does not make or break my decision on which line to sail. Just MHO.

Archived