Is it true that the bubbly welcome is not offered now on cruises?

cacj

If I were able to cruise I would have serious doubts about NCL in the future. Not bad enough they give me credit for one cruise where anyone else would give two, now they seem to be trying to take away everything that makes sailing with them special.

I know it's only been said by one cruiser but if they took the coffee makers out of the cabin, that would finally be a deal breaker for me. I usually get coffee from room service also but I like to turn it on as soon as I wake up and get moving (and dressed) at my own pace.

After reading that post about the coffee makers being removed from the cabins, I sent an email off to F & B Dir. friend. Confirmed that they are gone.:(:mad:

This thread may be the longest continuous whine ever. I really feel sorry for people who need a free glass of champagne to make them feel "special." [That's you, MrLee, in case you haven't noticed.] Really depressing that some have to go through life that way.

Well' date=' here is a little more to piss people off. I just received information that coffee makers will be removed from inside and ocean view cabins, but not from balconies and suites. :eek:[/color']

PE

Maybe the next step is to remove the balconies from balcony cabins. :rolleyes:

This thread may be the longest continuous whine ever. I really feel sorry for people who need a free glass of champagne to make them feel "special." [That's you, MrLee, in case you haven't noticed.] Really depressing that some have to go through life that way.

I beg your pardon??? Where did I ever say that a glass of bubbly (by itself) was a big deal. It's the total of all the things like removing laundry rooms to removing chocolates on the pillows that I am saying is bringing them downhill. The coffeemaker however IS a deal breaker for me. They have them in the cheapest hotels around here and if NCL took it away from me I would give up on them. Since I only sail in balconies, it wouldn't effect me but I still think it stinks to take it away from inside and OV.

It's the total of all the things .

Correct! and a point missed by so many on the board ...it is NOT any one thing...it is the CUMULATIVE cuts/changes that are upsetting to many--it is becoming a long list.. (I am sure someone will come up with an updated list of changes in 2009/10 to post...)

There were coffee pots on the Jewel last week. I couldn't read through 15 pages on this topic, but is it actually fact that the coffee pots have been removed? No one was taking them out as we were disbarking on Sunday, but we did get off early.

Indeed, there was no bubbly.

yoyocruiser

There were coffee pots on the Jewel last week. I couldn't read through 15 pages on this topic, but is it actually fact that the coffee pots have been removed? No one was taking them out as we were disbarking on Sunday, but we did get off early.

Indeed, there was no bubbly.

yoyocruiser

On another thread you said you were in a suite. According to reports the coffee pots are being removed from inside and (non balcony)outside cabins. Balcony cabins and above should still have them.

I have some studying I need to be doing, but I think this topic would be a great idea for a Poll.

NCL may be interested in the unscientific results.

There's some folks on this thread who've said some of these eliminations are a deciding factor for their choice of CL. I, for one, would really hate to see some of "my friends" abandon ship.

I have some studying I need to be doing, but I think this topic would be a great idea for a Poll.

NCL may be interested in the unscientific results.

There's some folks on this thread who've said some of these eliminations are a deciding factor for their choice of CL. I, for one, would really hate to see some of "my friends" abandon ship.

Even I am starting to wonder just how much I'll enjoy freestyle 4.0 :eek: (I figure 3.0 is gonna be on the Epic & these changes amount to 4.0)

But I'll certainly give it a try for the next couple cruises before I decide

Well' date=' here is a little more to piss people off. I just received information that coffee makers will be removed from inside and ocean view cabins, but not from balconies and suites. :eek:

PE[/color']

This goes along with what I have noticed on-board this past summer; NCL is starting to create two classes on their ships. It was also just last year that the ship cards were color-coded so that the staff knew your category. NCL has the best suite experience at sea for main line cruise ships, but the ocean view and inside cabins are drifting to a new low. Maybe Carnival will allow NCL to use the Ocean Village name for these cabins.

Could they be re-using these removed coffee makers on the Epic?

Just returned from cruising on the Spirit. We've cruised one other time - on Celebrity. There is no comparison - Celebrity wins, hands down, for the overall cruising experience.

No welcome champagne...no welcome, to be honest. $9 "welcome aboard" cocktails were available.

Yes - coffeemaker was in the cabin

Bedding was comfortable

Embarkation and disembarkation process was excellent

Just returned from cruising on the Spirit. We've cruised one other time - on Celebrity. There is no comparison - Celebrity wins, hands down, for the overall cruising experience.

No welcome champagne...no welcome, to be honest. $9 "welcome aboard" cocktails were available.

Yes - coffeemaker was in the cabin

Bedding was comfortable

Embarkation and disembarkation process was excellent

you know what is funny that I really dislike Celebrity. I thought it was stuffy and too many old people. I hated eating at a specific time and dressing up.

And frankly the food was not that great. But as I have also said that was a few years ago and I am going back anyway....knowing much better what to do.

which might be why we preferred Celebrity. I did like the idea of eating whenever I felt like it, but I missed having dinner companions that we got to know over the course of several days. Only one time in the Garden Room were we seated with another couple.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that interest in this thread has pretty much run its course, I have to say that the reactions to this "news" were fascinating to read...

Simply put, a cruise line stopped giving away a "welcome aboard" glass of champagne. Most likely, they made the decision so they could save money...however, other possibilities exist. For example, there are groups out there who frown on free alcohol because they believe that it encourages drinking and alcohol abuse.

So just because they wanted to save some money, many people jump on the "bash the cruise line" bandwagon.

The really funny part is how different those same people react when:

A passenger wants a price reduction...so they can save some money

A passenger wants an NCL coupon book...so they can save some money

A passenger books their own airfare instead of going through the cruise line...so they can save some money

A passenger buys their own travel insurance instead of buying it through the cruise line...so they can save some money

A passenger gets a cab instead of the airport transfer from the cruise line...so they can save some money

A passenger wants specials, 2-for-1's, and dining coupon books for the specialty restaurants...so they can save some money

A passenger books shore excursions privately....so they can save some money

A passenger buys rum-runners to use to smuggle booze...so they can save some money

A passenger buys a bar set-up instead of buying drinks at the bar...so they can save some money

A passenger wants their specialty drink of the day in a "regular" glass...so they can save some money

A passenger would rather wait and stuff a laundry bag to the brim on the $25 per bag day instead of using the regular laundry service....so they can save some money

Note: I have no issues with anyone who wants to save their money. We all have the right to get what we feel is the best value for our dollar.

However, the number of ways in which we as passengers "save" money means that the business ends up with less....eventually, they must make adjustments to compensate. The business only has two options: Raise Prices...Lower Costs.

We sailed on the Pearl last spring break and are sailing on the Pearl again this March. We enjoyed every minute of our trip last years and are on pins and needles waiting for our cruise this year. By reading some of these posts I say, if you don't like Norwegian then sail with another line. Yes, I too am very disappointed by the loss of the cappuccino machine. It was a great added feature and I frequented that area. However, it was broken down a lot during our 7 days on the ship. The champagne welcome was a really great touch too. However, this will not change my overall opinion of NCL. Everybody is cutting back and NCL is a great value for our money. Hopefully they have not compromised their service standards. I wouldn't think that they would. Sometimes it is the small things that make a big impact and bring people back but on the other hand fewer people are traveling in this economy and times have been hard for so many. Be positive and be thankful that you are able to take a vacation. NCL will make it unforgettable, champagne and cappuccino or not.

all we had was a water boiler that plugged in with instant coffee in a cup with it.

So I took it up to the buffet to fill it with hot coffee & got a galss of cream to bring down to our BA balcony.

I commented to our steward & got nothing. We are far from, instant coffee folks. Then the 2nd morning I filled it up with cappucino

On another thread you said you were in a suite. According to reports the coffee pots are being removed from inside and (non balcony)outside cabins. Balcony cabins and above should still have them.

Archived