Question about FLL hotel/transfers

liindajean

we're doing regent air and i understand if we deviate, we lose our luggage transfers (do we lose transfers both ways if we only deviate inbound?) my question is: how big of a deal is it? can't we just take a taxi and bring our luggage w/us? or, is there a hotel right by the port? embassy suites i think? (a few months ago regent had it as a pre/post cruise hotel, but it's no longer listed by them.)

just need a little info before i make a decision.

thanks in advance:confused:

We deviated one way on our last cruise and only lost transfers one way.

I am curious as to why you are deviating. Is it because you arrive late and want to spend the night at a hotel? The reason I ask is that we already know that Regent cannot get us to Ft. Lauderdale the same day (day of departure). When we book through Regent, they put us up in a hotel at their cost. Just something to think about.

Yes -- Embassy Suites is right near the port and is a lovely hotel.

Losing the transfer is no big deal. Taxis are cheap in FLL and everything's close. A cab to the hotel should be about $20, and cab to the ship should be less than that, if they don't have a shuttle, since the port is very close.

I really wish that Regent would let folks deviate incoming for free by one day without the penalty, since it makes so much sense.

Embassy suites used to have a courtesy shuttle to the port.
'

Yes, they used to - but not anymore. The shuttle is now the same cost

as a taxi (not much)

It sounds like Regent is trying to save money by doing red eye flights. . . I am sorry to hear this.

I am APPALLED that Regent would put passengers on a red eye without first OK'ing it with them.

Assuming that the red eye might arrive in Ft. Lauderdale around 6:00 am, then what do they do with you? Do these red eyes ever require a change of planes in Dallas, Atlanta, etc. ?

I am curious as to why you are deviating. Is it because you arrive late and want to spend the night at a hotel? The reason I ask is that we already know that Regent cannot get us to Ft. Lauderdale the same day (day of departure). When we book through Regent, they put us up in a hotel at their cost. Just something to think about.

If there was a red eye wouldn't you make a same day departure? (I didn't realize that Regent used red eyes before reading this thread).

If there was a red eye wouldn't you make a same day departure? (I didn't realize that Regent used red eyes before reading this thread).

I think they are doing this to avoid the overnight stays that they used to have to pay for. I also wonder what they do with passengers until the time they can embark. I know that when flights leave late, they set up a reception area in a hotel where you can sit and wait. They certainly would not leave you stranded somewhere.

Aloha

We have the same problem this March.

We decided to fly SFO -- MIA the day before. There is no direct flight to Fll from SFO.

We have rented a car from Enterprise for the drive to FLL and the car company will drive us to the port on the day of departure. Good luck.

John & Christina

Virgin America has recently initiated nonstop service between SFO and FLL. We took the air credit for our April 25 Navigator cruise ($500 per person) and were able to book with Virgin America for about $270 roundtrip per person.

Do not use Regent for Air Travel. Get credit from Regent for air fare and book your own travel. Go the day before. The Embassy Suites are not that nice, for the price. Try Extended Stay America which is a few blocks closer to the Port, and cheaper, with a kitchen to chill the wine. There is a very nice Italian Restaurant next door and a shopping mall across the road and another a block or so away on the same side of the street. The taxi ride from this hotel is about 4 min.. Do not fly into Miami, if possible. It's a 50 min. drive and a $90.00 cab fare to Fort Lauderdale.

We stayed at the embassy suites for three nights before our recent cruise. Two of the evenings and mornings were best described as a zoo. There were 14000 passengers leaving FLL on various ships on each day and the hotel does not have the elevator capacity to handle large numbers of passengers with luggage and there did not appear to be a separate service elevator as the hotel staff were using the same elevators to move luggage and cleaning carts. There were also long waits for those wanting a shuttle. On the day we left on the cruise, there were only 4000 passengers leaving FLL, and everything at the hotel was smooth. We were at the port 20 minutes after arriving in the hotel lobby.

Some people were at the waiting lounge at the port from 8:30AM - don't know if these were people using Regent air or their own arrangements.

We stayed at the Doubletree Gallery One for 1 night. Very clean and good location. Next to Galleria Mall, Borders, etc. Little further to the port than Embassy Suites (23.00 by cab) but worked well.

I stayed there one cruise too. We also stayed once at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper I think. Do not stay there. Other than the Sheraton Beds the place was old and dirty.

Archived