Room steward gifts

T&Dcruisers

I found an old thread on this subject, but wanted to ask fresh readers.

Do the room stewards (specifically Carnival) really enjoy getting gifts (other than cash) from passengers? I read about people bringing "hometown" gifts such as tee shirts or keychains, etc and wondered if they really wanted these items. I know there is always the option of tipping extra, but if they truly like receiving these gifts it might be something fun to come up with a creative gift.

Happy New Year!

I can't imagine they would. They live in a VERY confined space, if every cabin brought them a "token" from home they wouldn't be able to keep it all.

If you want to show appreciation a sincere "Thank You" and an extra tip is the most helpful. They can use that cash to buy phone cards, tshirts, or whatever else they need.

No--give them money if you must give them something! Their tips are why they're working....not for "doo-dads" and baubles!

Cash is what they want---then, they get buy what pleases them. Don't give 'gifts" other than money!

Cash is absolutely the best gift. They live in very tight quarters, don't have space for trinkets from home, regardless of how "cute" they are.

Now, some folks do get creative with the cash gifts -- one person, at Christmas, found tiny stockings, put the cash and thank you note in that, and gave it to their steward, for example. And the stocking was small enough that it could be trashed, or mailed home for a child, for example.

They'll pretend to be pleased with the gift..But they really want cash!

I would seriously doubt that opinions have changed. I know I haven't changed mine! I still work for money and would be more than upset if someone I worked for gave me a T-shirt from his alma mater. So yeah I think folks still want CASH! Save the gift giving for people who actually KNOW you.

I found an old thread on this subject, but wanted to ask fresh readers.

Do the room stewards (specifically Carnival) really enjoy getting gifts (other than cash) from passengers? I read about people bringing "hometown" gifts such as tee shirts or keychains, etc and wondered if they really wanted these items. I know there is always the option of tipping extra, but if they truly like receiving these gifts it might be something fun to come up with a creative gift.

Happy New Year!

Not really. They live in a cabin with three other people...a quad, if you will....and it's the same size as your cabin. They have no room for gifts....

If you want to do something nice for your steward, slip him a few extra bucks....money takes no room at all, can be used anywhere and is much welcomed.

Now... there is a well known review here on CC boards (Hi Mark/Falcor)where he had gotten to know his bartender, and when he spent the day at a port... he remembered the bartender liked cigars... so he picked up one and brought it in to her later that evening. I think that is a nice touch... but I am sure it was given in addition to cash (not in lieu of) at the end of the cruise ;)

Can you tell I have been catching up today on his lenghty review... almost all caught up, everyone! I am up to Freeport... LOL!!!:D

Take care,

Diana :)

Money. Just stick with that. With it, they can choose to send cash back home or buy souvenirs that mean something to them and their families at home, not you.

I have a picture of their rooms, but won't post it because a friend is in the picture. Just take it as truth that they do not have room for souvenirs and trinkets.

If you've read, "Cruise Confidential" David Alan Bruins will tell you that he didn't even have room for his suitcase, so it rested on his bed during the day.

I have to agree with the others: I can't imagine a cabin steward caring about a keepsake from people whose room they cleaned.

If you feel that "just cash" is a bit gauche or sterile, then I'd suggest something consumable: a nice box of chocolates or other edibles, an international calling card, the last bottle from your wine package -- the one that you never opened. With a consumable item, even if your steward doesn't want/like that particular item, he can give it to an onboard friend. It's thoughtful, but it doesn't take up space for long.

BUT no matter how nice the item, it should always be IN ADDITION TO the tip, NEVER in place of it. Imagine how you'd feel if your boss said next payday, "I'm shorting you $50 this time, but I'm giving you this lovely tee-shirt from my hometown. Aren't you pleased?" You wouldn't really have warm, fuzzy feelings towards that tee-shirt, now, would you?

Cash is king.

Even calling cards are not a good idea....can't always use them and who knows what edibles they may like?

I once asked a crew member where they were going when I saw them off the ship at the end of a cruise and they said they were going to Walmart for laundry soap. Next cruise I will ask our cabin steward if there's anything they want in port that they need and can't get off the ship to get.

Cash is most appreciated and, as said above, it should be "normal" US cash-no "cute" stuff.

Also, you should give them an excellent rating on the opinion cards that are handed out at the end of the cruise ("You Made a Difference" on Princess). These rating's help with raises and promotions.

Yes, if you give them anything they'll thank you as if that's just what they wanted (even if they throw it away after you leave :)), because making you happy is their job!

The only time we've left anything other than cash was a women's magazine I was reading that I saw the Room Stewardess eyeing :D.

They get all the chocolates they could want (we don't eat our turn down choclates--we stack them on the vanity). They don't want a T-shirt from YOUR hometown, which they've never visited. They don't want a trinket that takes up room on a nightstand--they don't have room for it.

Money allows them to make those calls home when they are in port and buy things they need like laundry soap or personal care items. And wonderful reviews allow them to move up in their jobs.

Archived