Tasmainia

royal65

We will be visiting Tasmania on Feb.17 aboard the Diamond and are considering renting a car to visit Bonorong and Port Arthur. Since we'll be in port from 8am to 6pm, this excursion seems to be safely doable. But since we'll coming from NZ, the ship will have to be cleared and I don't know how long that might take or how long it will take to rent the car. Also, we're unfamiliar with road conditions. I'd like any advice you may have regarding our renting a car and self-touring. It would be a long swim to catrch up with the ship in Melbourne!

Thanx for your responses.

You might want to check out www.thepreismans.com. This couple did acruise very similar to yours where Hobart was the first port in Australia. They did not get thru immigration until 10am, therefore did not complete their days itinerary with a rental car. I think they gave up Boronog. Their website is very helpful with all the cruises they have taken around the world.

royal 65,

Go up to the search button of this Port of call (Australia and New Zealand) and put in "Diamond Port Arthur". Then check out the thread of Love2?, this will give you a lot of the info you need. The only other tip I would give you, is make sure you are back before rush hour in Hobart.

Thanks for the replies.

Oldjerseycruiser, I did the search you suggested and see that you rented a car and toured Port Arthur. That would be our plan, too, except we would be adding Bonorong (near Brighton, I think). From your experiece in doing just Port Arthur, do you beleive adding Bonorong is being too ambitious? Again, Melbourne would be a long swim.

Thanks again.

royal65

I have read of one person on this board doing both Port Arthur and Bonorong during a day's rental, but wouldn't really know if they only made flying visits. One thing though, I did notice a place on the Port Arthur road called the Tasmanian Devil Conservation Park and just checking on line now, they seem to have various animals there.

airfares aren't that dear, Hbt to Melb LOL!

Having said that, Port Arthur is a great day. lots to see in the area

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Tasmania/Eaglehawk-Neck/2005/02/17/1108500205746.html

a drive through doo town and the tessellated pavement, the arch, devil's kitchen etc. lovely day out. Decent road (driving on CORRECT side of the road ofcause LOL! ;))

I am wracking my brains, we did a wild life park in the vicinity of Port Athur, it was great, they fed the tas devils road kill, not packaged meat, and the little devils really were a ferocious pack in action! Will see if I can find it and post back.

I grew up in Tassie, lovely place for a holiday :) hope you enjoy your cruise!

Archived