Latest booze situation at port in sj!!!

stefo

Where is the CVS in OSJ?

I'm a beer and/or wine drinker and will be dragging my bags over from the Sheraton. Hoping I can check my bags, check in and drop everything in my cabin, then head back out for more exploring.

Would be nice to pick up a 2nd bottle of wine before I re-board.

Where is the CVS in OSJ?

I'm a beer and/or wine drinker and will be dragging my bags over from the Sheraton. Hoping I can check my bags, check in and drop everything in my cabin, then head back out for more exploring.

Right across the street to the left if I remember correctly - near Senor frogs I think? :)

Have fun Joan! :D

Hi Froufie! Thanks. I found a map that showed the location. I may send you a FB message with questions about Antigua.

I'm still looking for someone to join me on Conquest. You're welcome to come along! :D

Ask away - and thanks for the invite - but alas I shall be bringing the Sunshine back across the ocean arriving in NOLA on November 17th :)

• 1 month later...
Where is the CVS in OSJ?

I'm also wondering if this would work since after we initially board, when we leave and come back we'll be in the other line where they "ding" our Sail & Sign card!

I'm also wondering if this would work since after we initially board, when we leave and come back we'll be in the other line where they "ding" our Sail & Sign card!

When we reboarded in OSJ after restocking, we were in the exact same line as those boarding for the first time. We were just able to skip the check-in counter. Our card was not "dinged" either time unit we were at the top of the gangway, actually inside the ship.

Perhaps this has changed since April?

When we reboarded in OSJ after restocking, we were in the exact same line as those boarding for the first time. We were just able to skip the check-in counter. Our card was not "dinged" either time unit we were at the top of the gangway, actually inside the ship.

Perhaps this has changed since April?

That's what I wanted to hear! :D I'm gonna try it!

Not sure what you're asking. This is about sailing from San Juan.

If your question is about coming back to the ship after you've been in port and whether you can bring alcohol back on board, you'll need to ask on the NCL board or on your Roll Call.

The lines I've sailed, this is not allowed. You have to go through a scanner when you board and they send you to a table where they check your alcohol. It's returned to you the last night, just as if you'd purchased it in the duty-free shop on board.

so the chances of getting it to your cabin is very small. They even collect corkage for any wine brought on board no matter where you drink it. They seem to enjoy embarassing passengers with their naughty room. We don't sail NCL.

Edited by SeaBands

• 2 months later...
I'm curious too. I'm sailing out of San Juan in January and wondering once I drop off my luggage and head back out into San Juan, would I be able to bring back some beers for my room? It would be nice to save a few bucks on a few beers.

Don't know about other lines, but you can ONLY carry-on one bottle of wine and water/soft drinks on Carnival. You cannot carry-on beer, even at embarkation. Check their FAQ.

We are cruising in December in Summit Celebrity, Can we buy water or liquor prior to boarding?

Sorry, don't know what Celebrity's carry-on policy might be or what the situation is from that pier in San Juan. Have you asked any recent Summit sailors on X's board?

Again, to everyone (at least those sailing Carnival from OSJ), you CAN board then disembark as many times as you wish on embarkation day. I'm not going to waste my time doing this over and over just to save a few dollars. I'm flying to San Juan early to enjoy San Juan. I'll check in and drop off my one bottle, have lunch, then head back out to do more sight-seeing. When I'm ready to board for good, I'll stop and pick up one more bottle of wine.

OSJ is too beautiful a city to spend all day hauling wine to the ship a bottle at a time. Get out there and explore this beautiful, historic city. :D

We are cruising in December in Summit Celebrity, Can we buy water or liquor prior to boarding?

You can bring on as much bottled water on Celebrity as you'd like. Some cruisers get a whole case and check it with their luggage by putting a luggage tag on it for delivery to their cabin.

The official policy is that you can not bring on board any alcoholic beverages except for two bottles of wine per cabin. We've been on some cruises where enforcement of this was extremely strict and they destroyed any confiscated liquor and others where the enforcement was pretty lax. If you do attempt to bring on liquor don't be too upset if it is confiscated.

Don't know about other lines, but you can ONLY carry-on one bottle of wine and water/soft drinks on Carnival. You cannot carry-on beer, even at embarkation. Check their FAQ. :D

Thank you. I realize what Carnival does allow you to carry on for beverages but I was hoping I can bring back a few beers after I check in since we are going to leave the ship to explore San Juan for a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Was reading through this thread and I have a stupid question. We will be in San Juan next year on a Carnival cruise as a port stop, not our embarkation port. While in any port, we usually buy alcohol that we can't get in the US and expect CCL to hold it for us until the last night of the cruise. Never a problem but this has me wondering how they will handle that since it is also an embarkation port. Will the ship still hold it or will we be treated like we are trying to smuggle booze on at embarkation? We have not been in SJ yet so have no idea what the set up for security is like. I would think that getting back on the ship would be the same as any other port, but I have been wrong before. Any insight on this? Thanks.

Was reading through this thread and I have a stupid question. We will be in San Juan next year on a Carnival cruise as a port stop, not our embarkation port. While in any port, we usually buy alcohol that we can't get in the US and expect CCL to hold it for us until the last night of the cruise. Never a problem but this has me wondering how they will handle that since it is also an embarkation port. Will the ship still hold it or will we be treated like we are trying to smuggle booze on at embarkation? We have not been in SJ yet so have no idea what the set up for security is like. I would think that getting back on the ship would be the same as any other port, but I have been wrong before. Any insight on this? Thanks.

Day stop pier is different one than the embarkation piers.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Day stop pier is different one than the embarkation piers.

Please clarify. Carnival uses the pier in Old San Jaun for embarkation. Are you saying they use an adjacent pier in OSJ for their day stops (different from the one they use for embarkation)?

Please clarify. Carnival uses the pier in Old San Jaun for embarkation. Are you saying they use an adjacent pier in OSJ for their day stops (different from the one they use for embarkation)?

Yes, they are adjacent. Rarely are there enough ships in town at the same time and they need to use additional piers. If that were to happen then there is a chance the pier customarily used for Carnival embarkation might be used. But that is not a common occurrence.

I'm curious too. I'm sailing out of San Juan in January and wondering once I drop off my luggage and head back out into San Juan, would I be able to bring back some beers for my room? It would be nice to save a few bucks on a few beers.

It is very easy to bring alcohol on the Valor. We each had a backpack with us. After you go through metal detectors you will go outside to a hallway area. There are some pillars that jut out and make good hiding spots. Transfer alcohol into backpacks. After you pass through the line where they check your passport/s&s card you're on the ship. No problems.

On our way to board the Valor last week, we saw a liquor shop inside the terminal that was selling 1.75 liter Margaritas VERY cheap. They were in a plastic pouch inside a cardboard box. The sales clerk told us they would take them out of the box and put them in a bag and we could put them in our luggage and board the ship with no problem.

We bought 2 and our friends bought 2 and we had no problems getting them on the ship.

The problem came when we opened one and tried to drink it. It was NASTY! We threw the rest of the open one in the sink and gave the other 3 away to unsuspecting passengers.

We saw many people who had carried on bottles of liquor in their suitcases with no problems.

I wouldn't mind paying for good drinks on the ship but my problem is that most of the drinks I get are mixed poorly and rarely do you get 2 of the same kind that taste alike.

It is very easy to bring alcohol on the Valor. We each had a backpack with us. After you go through metal detectors you will go outside to a hallway area. There are some pillars that jut out and make good hiding spots. Transfer alcohol into backpacks. After you pass through the line where they check your passport/s&s card you're on the ship. No problems.

so you think I can just carry the beers in a bag through the metal detector area? nobody says anything there? Were you checking in when you did this or just headed back to the ship after being in San Juan?

I guess its a good thing I went out and bought a backpack ;)

so you think I can just carry the beers in a bag through the metal detector area? nobody says anything there? Were you checking in when you did this or just headed back to the ship after being in San Juan?

I guess its a good thing I went out and bought a backpack ;)

I don't see why you couldn't. They don't make you take the alcohol out of the bag. Even if they put some kind of sticker on the bag showing that it needs to be checked in, there is plenty of time to just take the sticker off.

We bought ours before boarding. After our rooms were ready we dropped the backpacks off and headed out to get the cokes and sprite. At the CVS they only sell 8 packs of sodas. We got 3 of them and didn't have any trouble bringing it back on.