Bringing back alcohol

num1crewsfam

I apologize in advance for a, more than likely, glaringly obvious question, but with the restrictions on carry on liquids, how do you bring back alcohol purchased on your vacation? I have tried searching the boards and have come up empty handed. We have not cruised since the regulations were changed. Thanks in advance for any help given:D

There are basically two ways:

1) In you (drink it)

2) In your checked luggage - pack very carefully! I've also seen bags sold, via internet, that are designed to protect bottles in luggage. I've also heard of people who packed a padded shipping case with booze or wine and checked it as luggage - but I got the impression that was more for special wine purchases. We've packed a bottle of wine or liquior now and then - just put it between clothing in our suitcase and have never had a problem - although we're always a little worried.

I imagine sales of all the booze sold to tourists to take home is but a small fraction of what it was before the flight carry-on restrictions were put into place.

We just flew back from Ft. Lauerdale and had 3 bottles packed in our luggage. 2 of them were bottles of Crown that come in boxes and one was just the bottle. If you buy it on board they often have heavier boxes that they will put it in for traveling. I usually put some bubble wrap in the outside pockets of my luggage and have never had a problem with breakage of either alochol or perfume bought on board. If I don't use all the wrap I just leave it on the ship.

Mary Lou

We just returned from Equinox December 14/09. What we have always done is purchase, from the post office, 2 of the larger envelopes with the "bubble wrap" insides. This provides cushioning for the bottles when you pack them in your checked luggage. This particular trip, we purchased a bottle of wine and a bottle of Bacardi 8 year old rum that comes in a metal container. We didn't need the "bubble" envelope for the rum, but we still enclosed each bottle within a pair of track pants just to be on the safe side. We had a connecting flight back home, and the bottles arrived safe and sound, even after all of the baggage handlers.

Is to put a bottle of liquor/wine in a man's sock (preferably in a white/jock sock) so that it has some "padding" and then place it in the middle of the suitcase so that the clothes around it can provide some cushion...Good luck and let us know how it goes, please? LuAnn

We returned from the Equinox on Dec. 14; and, we were over the limit, and we were directed to the naughty room where we had to pay duty in cash. We were not alone. Some folks opined that this new administration is attempting to collect as much as they can in duty and taxes. I am inclined to believe this, since we have exceeded the limit in the past; and, we have always been waived through. Of course, I always declare the actual amount purchased, since falsification on that form is a third degree felony-5 years.

When we know we will be carrying liquor home, I bring the XL or XXL ZipLoc bags and plenty of bubble wrap. Each bottle is wrapped in bubble wrap and then they are sealed in the ZipLoc. This "package" goes in the center of the suitcase. We have never had a problem. Just remember that these packages add a good bit of weight to your luggage!

Archived