FLL/Port Everglades car rental - how does it work?

coach_anne

We're arriving at FLL very early the day before our cruise from Port Everglades, and leaving late on debarkation day. So we're considering renting a car before and/or after our cruise.

Question: Do any of the car rental companies have rental offices at the port? If not, do any provide a shuttle to a nearby office?

The main reason for renting would be to cut down on the "schlepp" factor, for us, our luggage, and my TravelScoot. Also to give us options for dining, shopping, etc. other than those within walking distance of our pre-cruise hotel, and not to be stuck babysitting our luggage all day post-cruise at FLL.

But if renting a car in itself is a big hassle, it may not be worth it.

There are many threads here about renting a car in FLL; feel free to use the Search this forum button on the main page, upper right-hand corner.

But quickly, you can rent a car at the airport, which is only a few minutes away from the port. You can either walk or take a shuttle bus to the Car Rental Center, which is in another building. When we saw all the people who were waiting for the bus, we just walked. None have offices at the port, but some make pick up there (that's why you can use the Search and find this out - it's been discussed before).

Fort Lauderdale is beautiful; I highly recommend renting a car so you can get out and see it. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

3 times I did this in Ft. Lauderdale...

I rented from Budget online, The pick-up is upstairs at the Terminal.

I booked for drop-off at QUAY PLAZA on 17SEst, Just acroos from the Entrance to the Port.

After dropping my luggage and my Family off at the the Cruise Terminal, I called Quay to let them know I was on the way to drop off my car, and to have them please call me a taxi...

Since they knew I was coming, I got Express check-out and had a Cab waiting for the 3 minute, $5 ride ( Think NASCAR) back to the Ship.

Hope that helps !

We were in Fort Lauderdale in 2008. We also rented a car for Sat and return on Sunday before cruise. We were able to have car rental co. pick us up at motel and take us to their office to complete paperwork on the car. On Sunday we dropped rental car off at their office and they then took us to the cruise port.

We will be there in April and are planning the same thing. We are not sure if rental company still will take us to cruise port. Will call them on Monday to check. We did use the co. located in the Quay shopping center. They were very nice to us.

We rented from Dollar at FLL airport and dropped off at their location right at the entrance to the port. We dropped the car and they put us on their shuttle to the ship. We had planned to have dh drop me, dd and luggage off and then return the car but ran out of time. This worked MUCH better - the previous sailing was delayed disembarking so the port was a zoo. We were so glad we didn't decide to bring the car into the port. We called Thrifty and they gave me the code FLLc19 to drop at the port instead of returning to the airport. I couldn't get it to work on line so I called instead. As a BJ's member they gave us the car, through Dollar, for $39 a day. There is no grace period on return time, though, so be prepared to pay $13 per hour if you return later in the day than you pick up.

Archived