How Much Thought Do You Think HAL Gives?

sail7seas

Do you think when they do all their itinerary planning and scheduling, they give a great deal of thought to infra-structure to how well airports can move their guests into and out of embarking city? Is convenience of flight offerings from a great many cities across U.S./Canada and other countries from which they attract many cruisers of any importance?

How important is it that most guests can get to the embarkation port with reasonable arrangements or is that a non-issue for them?

I mostly mean in terms of U.S. embarkations; not Australia or Far East as so much as that has to be a big deal but maybe Europe.

I would say that HAL has to plan many of their itineraries at least 2 years in advance as some ports may be new and they need to check out what tours can be done there, i.e, what vendors are reliable. They need to check out if visas are needed. Are there airports and hotels that are reliable. It is not an easy task.

Remember that HAL sails to the South Seas, Australia, South America, TA's, etc. from American ports.

Lots for them to work on before a cruise itinerary is finalized.

It must be a monumental task, best left to minds far greater than mine.:)

Any cruise line would want a fleet that is sailing at maxium capacity.... happy cruisers fill ships.

It is in their best interest to offer cruises that are interesting and easily boarded.

. Which is why I think they should sail out of Toronto:D(and pick up Gmapajama in Chicago)

Shore excursions needs to have excursions set up earlier for one time and occasional cruises such as repos. Our final payment is due in less than a month. So far excursions are listed for only one of three ports and even the one port is incomplete. I inquired about the Vancouver to Seattle bus transfer and was told there isn't one. Our cruise is in April and I'm guessing HAL didn't arrange for the bus transfers until their Alaskan cruises in June. We run into this type of thing on every repo cruise. I understand it take extra effort for HAL to set up excursions for these cruises, but they have to do it some time; so why late?

We fly in at least a day early for any cruise. We almost have to fly in early for east coast departures due to flight time and time zones. For most ports we'd prefer to stay in HAL hotels with HAL transfers. HAL's hotel choices are more upscale and pricey than we really want and also usually twice what it costs to book the same hotel yourself. I do understand that HAL's price does include transfers, gratuities, luggage handling, HAL rep at hotel and sometimes an excursion on the way to or from the port, and of course a profit for HAL. I only need a hotel that is pleasant, convenient. safe and has a moderately priced restaurant that is open all day. And, of course, the transfers, HAL rep etc. This is especially all we need when the flight arrives late afternoon or early evening and we'll be embarking the next day. We then are just interested in dinner, at good night's sleep, breakfast and transfer to the pier. HAL needs to offer both a 5* and a more moderate hotel at most ports plus also an airport hotel.

I suppose it would be safer for a cruise line to remain consistent in keeping ships and itineraries the same, or close to the same, through home ports and airports with the best track records. But what I enjoy about HAL is that they do a good job of varying itineraries and keeping my interest, even if it means departing from, or returning to, some ports (and airports) that may be a little more "iffy" in terms of accommodations.

I feel they pay a good deal of attention to the logistics of passengers getting to the point of embarkation. That's probably one reason they don't sail out of Galveston. Although a few ships of other lines do, it's a bit more of a challenge getting there from Houston than other ports.

I imagine that HAL spends more time worried about pier operations. Can they reliably dock, is the dock a short trip from open ocean, can they get check-in personal easily (via World-Wide-Shore-Services), are there custom/immigration facilities, is the terminal big enough, is the location close enough to the intended destination?

Although I am sure there are some cities that don't (or rarely) make the cut due to lack of airline service or distance from airports. In Europe, I can think of Oslo, Stockholm, Lisbon, Nice/Monaco, Brest.

Shore excursions needs to have excursions set up earlier for one time and occasional cruises such as repos. Our final payment is due in less than a month. So far excursions are listed for only one of three ports and even the one port is incomplete. I inquired about the Vancouver to Seattle bus transfer and was told there isn't one. Our cruise is in April and I'm guessing HAL didn't arrange for the bus transfers until their Alaskan cruises in June. We run into this type of thing on every repo cruise. I understand it take extra effort for HAL to set up excursions for these cruises, but they have to do it some time; so why late?

We fly in at least a day early for any cruise. We almost have to fly in early for east coast departures due to flight time and time zones. For most ports we'd prefer to stay in HAL hotels with HAL transfers. HAL's hotel choices are more upscale and pricey than we really want and also usually twice what it costs to book the same hotel yourself. I do understand that HAL's price does include transfers, gratuities, luggage handling, HAL rep at hotel and sometimes an excursion on the way to or from the port, and of course a profit for HAL. I only need a hotel that is pleasant, convenient. safe and has a moderately priced restaurant that is open all day. And, of course, the transfers, HAL rep etc. This is especially all we need when the flight arrives late afternoon or early evening and we'll be embarking the next day. We then are just interested in dinner, at good night's sleep, breakfast and transfer to the pier. HAL needs to offer both a 5* and a more moderate hotel at most ports plus also an airport hotel.

I think what you are looking for is similar to what we want. We learned a long time ago we could better do this for ourselves vs rely on the cruiseline. So we book our own air, hotels and transfers. Have done this for many years now. We have cruised a lot of places all over Europe, the Mediterranean, Middle East and here too in the US to Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico and the Carribbean.

Many people don't want to search out their own hotels or flights or excursions. We are comfortable booking our own hotels in some ports, but not in others. However, it is really more relaxing, much easier and more seamless to have the transfers and hotels with HAL. HAL's hotel prices, though, are usually way too high. I prefer to book my own flights, but some are more comfortable with HAL's flights. We do HAL shore excursions. We are more comfortable with them and almost all have been at least very good.

My point was excursions need to be out earlier for the one-time or occasional cruise. I think HAL would benefit by making their hotels just slightly more reasonable. When getting to and from a cruise is easier or more comfortable to a prospective passenger, they are more likely to book.

I feel they pay a good deal of attention to the logistics of passengers getting to the point of embarkation. That's probably one reason they don't sail out of Galveston. Although a few ships of other lines do, it's a bit more of a challenge getting there from Houston than other ports.

I'd agree that Galveston, while a great port for us Texans, is not the easiest to get to from other parts of the US. There also are some limitations to the variety of ports they can easily visit out of Galveston because of the sailing distances. I do believe that HAL, and probably every line, have some standard metrics they apply to ports, destinations, overall itineraries, and so on to determine what are viable and attractive cruise packages.

I am new to Holland America and although I haven't sailed yet,I am giving them a thumbs up! We are on a new itinerary 14 Night Alaska Cruise on MS Amsterdam,I feel that they researched this itinerary before offering it to the public.They have worked with most of the local Vendors to offer us the same tours for the same price as booking independently.I feel this is a win win situation.I suppose they just want to promote this new itinerary.So far I give them an A.

Archived