Last minute questions - first family cruise

HoustonTodd

Ok, the wife and I have been on a few cruises but we are under 2 weeks until our first cruise with all of our kids and so we have some questions we haven't encountered before:

1. We have two rooms. In order to book we had to put my wife in one room with 2 kids and myself in the other with my oldest. Obviously we aren't going to sleep that way though, it will be the kids' room and the room for my wife and I. The question is ... can we request extra keys/key cards so that the wife and I can both have access to both rooms? Is there any way (above or bellow the table) to accomplish this?

2. We are thinking about bringing on some sodas for the kids. We never bothered before because the wife and I don't touch any carbonated drinks (at least without liquor in them). I was thinkin of 3 or 4 twelve packs in a duffell bag. Would this be safe to check with some of our luggage, or would I have to carry that heavy thing around as a carry on?

Thanks for any input!

Sure, the purser's desk will give you extra key cards, that do nothing but open the door.

3 or 4 twelve packs of soda, thats a lot!!! Too heavy for me to carry. But if you can carry it, you are allowed. We might bring one a day on, for my sister who drinks soda.

Ok, the wife and I have been on a few cruises but we are under 2 weeks until our first cruise with all of our kids and so we have some questions we haven't encountered before:

1. We have two rooms. In order to book we had to put my wife in one room with 2 kids and myself in the other with my oldest. Obviously we aren't going to sleep that way though, it will be the kids' room and the room for my wife and I. The question is ... can we request extra keys/key cards so that the wife and I can both have access to both rooms? Is there any way (above or bellow the table) to accomplish this?

Yes. Once you're on board, just go to the purser's desk, tell them who is sleeping where, and how many keys you need for each room, and it'll be taken care of while you wait. You might also want to put a $$ limit on the kid's keys, so they're not buying stuff way beyond your budget! :)

2. We are thinking about bringing on some sodas for the kids. We never bothered before because the wife and I don't touch any carbonated drinks (at least without liquor in them). I was thinkin of 3 or 4 twelve packs in a duffell bag. Would this be safe to check with some of our luggage, or would I have to carry that heavy thing around as a carry on?

That's a lot of soda! Some folks have had success buying a case (of 24), slapping a luggage tag on it and it was delivered to their room with the rest of their luggage...

Thanks for any input!

Have a great cruise!

In regards to the kids cards - I always block charging ability on the cards. If they want something, they can ask me for it. Also, keeps them from blowing money on video games and drinks!

You might also want to put a $$ limit on the kid's keys, so they're not buying stuff way beyond your budget! :)

Oh, that's taken care of. We have 3 kids (9, 11, 16). Only the oldest has any access to buy things, and he knows not to be stupid, and he works so if he goes over budget, he will be paying for it himself.

We went on a cruise in November and took some drinks aboard as well. We used an insulated bag cooler (large Sam's club type) and filled it with plastic 16oz bottles of water and soda. We then put a luggage tag on it and that was that. Our room steward kept ice in it everyday so we had cold drinks the entire cruise. I hope this helps!

Kim

That's a lot of soda! Some folks have had success buying a case (of 24), slapping a luggage tag on it and it was delivered to their room with the rest of their luggage...

Have a great cruise!

I would do what you planned and put them in a carry on. Too many have been rejected by the porters, why chance it, even is "some folks" have been able to get away with this. Put it in something with a handle as you planned.

At Galveston, they also have been extra picky about oversize coolers, so chances are they are picky about people slapping luggage tags on cases of soda.

We tried this on our last cruise but were unable to get a separate card. But, we never really had any problems, and it worked well for us to be able to get in the kids room when we wanted to. Plus, the kids could get to us if they needed to.

Have you thought about getting them the soda cards? We got this for our kids last time and it was much easier than keeping up with sodas and the extra weight that goes along with it. Plus, they can get juices and other stuff on the card. And, if you're crafty, they can get sodas for you and your wife on them too, just not at the same time as they get theirs.

Thanks for any input!

Enjoy. I am sure your kids will LOVE it. Ours do.

I would do what you planned and put them in a carry on. Too many have been rejected by the porters, why chance it, even is "some folks" have been able to get away with this. Put it in something with a handle as you planned.

At Galveston, they also have been extra picky about oversize coolers, so chances are they are picky about people slapping luggage tags on cases of soda.

How do you answer the questions like this? The red in OP post. I just tried and it didn't work.

We always take a case of water with us in a suitcase...When the water is gone' date=' we have an extra suitcase to put our souvenirs that we have bought in...It works out really well for us...[/quote']

...and if you leave some of the waters out or in a collapsible cooler, the steward will often keep them on ice when they clean the room. Extra tip points!!

How do you answer the questions like this? The red in OP post. I just tried and it didn't work.

Click on quote in the post you want to respond to. Go the the last [ /quote ] and put the cursor in front of it - hit enter to get it down a couple of lines.

Get to the part of the post you want to respond to, pick your font color and start typing. You have to make sure you leave the [ /quote ] things in or it won't work right.

Also, the board will act like you haven't entered a message cause it doesn't count the part you write in the quoted area. You have to add something after the quoted part, like this.

Can you split up the sodas... put on case in each suitcase? It won't be too heavy and each will be "padded" with clothes...

Yes, easy to get a key. I got one for Mom's room, in case something happened... And they give you a "room only" key with no charging privledges... hee hee hee -- I just laughed at that, 'cause like you, she was on my credit card!!! :rolleyes:

I'm on the Conquest the following week -- so be sure to leave me some FUN FUN FUN!!!

Oh... please say hi to Chris Jefferson, your Cruise Director, from Lambie!!! I can't wait to sail with him!!! He makes it all FUN FUN FUN!!!!

Thanks for any input!

You can have porters bring on luggage with soda in it. Depending on your itinerary, it's easy to buy more 6 paks very reasonably along the way.

I think 3 /4 12 packs may be viewed as excessive by carnival. I've gotten a mixed 12 pack on each of my 3 cruises with no problem, but the literature talks about "excessive" soda being taken away.

Well, there are 5 of us on this trip. The wife and I don't drink soda (or any carbonated beverage really) at all. But 3 kids, 2 drinks a day for 7 days, that's 42 sodas right there. That's why I figured 4 12 packs and we'd be good.

there is also the "soda card" might be worth it...instead of carrying around soda..

$100 for a soda card and then the kids also drink much more than we like them to of that. We try to limit their intake of that sort of junk. We don't normally even keep any in the house. The flip side, is $10-12 for 4-12packs.

I have considered the drink card though.

Thanks for any input!

We had two different rooms too DH and I in one with two DD and Grandpa and our two DS on the other. We just told them at the purser’s desk that we would like an extra for each room. We put the extra key in each opposite room some either room a had a key to the other room.

Thanks for any input!

We had planned on getting extra key cards made, but ended up not even needing it. We left the connecting door open all the time, so as long as we had a key to get into one of the rooms, it wasn't necessary to be hassling with the duplicate set.

You can check the soda through at the port, but I wouldn't fly with it.

some of our cans of soda burst and stained our clothes as well as got on some other people luggage!

We put it in right at the cruise terminal too. If I brought soda again I would put it in my wheeled carry on and bring it on that way.

Can you talk the kids into just enjoying the free lemonade and not worry about it at all?

Room key cards- We just went to the pursers desk and asked them for extra cards so all four of us had cards to both rooms. We had them punched and each of us had two cards on a lanyard.

We do the rooms the exact way when traveling w/our kids and guest services will gladly provide extra keys. On the Dream, they offered a different color card so we'd know which key was for which room (helpful).

Also, I've seen sodas burst in others luggage more than once. We let each of our kids bring a 12 pack and they put it in their wheeled carry on. I usually bring a 12 pack of diet ginger ale in mine, along w/my wine ;)

Never purchased soda cards and the lemonade gives my son ulcers in his mouth if he drinks very much. This seems to work for us and we can spend the extra money on fun stuff

Archived