The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

Okay, I need some help. We just booked a cruise for the week of 3/30, so we are getting a late start. We are a family of 5 that is looking for a park & cruise deal. Most hotels allow us 2 shuttle passes & then extra charge for other 3. I tried calling a few places real close to the port, Radisson & Country Inn & prices were pretty high, especially paying for 3 extra family members. I tried Hampton Inn & it was the same thing. Can anyone suggest a hotel that might work better for us? Am I better off not using the shuttle & paying for a taxi? We stayed at Comfort Inn last time & did not really care for the place.

Try the Residence Inn. It's located between the Raddisson and Country inn. Most if not all the rooms are suites. You can call them to see if they have a single accommodation that can take 5 people.

As I indicated earlier, personally I prefer taxis over shuttles just for convenience.

This is a great thread. We are still deciding between the the Glory and the Dream for our next cruise, so I was looking for info on Orlando/Cape Canaveral. One of the main reasons we were leaning toward the Glory was we already know a lot about cruising from Miami (and Ft. Lauderdale) since we've done it multiple times, but we know nothing about Cape Canaveral other than the airport is a good distance from the cruise port. The logistics of it all just seemed like too much hassle, but this thread may be changing our minds a little. I'm particularly interested in the fly-cruise-snooze packages. The other option we had in mind was staying near the airport and then getting a limo service on the morning of the cruise to take us to the port, but I think I like the package idea better because I'd much rather stay near the ocean than at the airport.

Lisa

For what it is worth, it is not much further (time wise) from the Orlando airport to the pier than it is from the Miami airport to the pier at least in traffic. As I recall, its a 20-25 minute trip from MIA to the port. PC is only 45 from MCO. If you decide to take the plunge, look into a rental - for us it was always the cheapest and gives you wheels for the evening you are in Cocoa.

Have a great cruise!

Can anyone comment on the process of checking in on carnival using terminal 6. I like to be prepared and precise details will be appreciated. It's been years since I have cruised so I know some things are different.

After dropping off luggage and going into building I think you need to show your boarding pass and passport... Correct?

Then do you go through security next? How many security lanes are there?

Then you wait to be checked in at the counter where they give you your sail and sign card and all that jazz?

Do you then sit and wait to be called to board and do all your pics as you proceed to board or do you do pics before you sit and wait to be called? Thanks so much!

Can anyone comment on the process of checking in on carnival using terminal 6. I like to be prepared and precise details will be appreciated. It's been years since I have cruised so I know some things are different.

After dropping off luggage and going into building I think you need to show your boarding pass and passport... Correct?

Then do you go through security next? How many security lanes are there?

Then you wait to be checked in at the counter where they give you your sail and sign card and all that jazz?

Do you then sit and wait to be called to board and do all your pics as you proceed to board or do you do pics before you sit and wait to be called? Thanks so much!

We just cruised out of terminal 6 last month. Be prepared for a long walk. You will give your bags to the porters outside the terminal. Then go inside the terminal to go through security where you need to present your passports and cruise documents.

Once you are done with security you will proceed to check-in to get your sail and sign cards. (DEPENDING ON WHAT TIME YOU GET TO THE PORT YOU WILL BE ASSIGNED A ZONE BOARDING NUMBER). Once you have your sail and sign cards you will get your picture taken then head upstairs to have your picture taken. If you have to sit and wait for your zone to be called then this is where it would occur.

When we went last month from the time we got out of the shuttle van to the time we stepped onboard was about 20 minutes but we also had VIP boarding

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked Country Inn & Suites with a great rate through Hotwire... We had originally thought we would stay in Cocoa Beach, closer to more restaurants and shopping...

So now we are trying to decide on evening plans upon our arrival... We are considering Grills or Old Fish House for dinner... Other recommendations?

By the time we get to our hotel it will be pushing 6:30, 7 pm... Does Grills take reservations?

We will not have a car as we are taking a shuttle from the airport... Anyone know taxi rates or other transport options in the area for the evening?

We are cruising from Terminal 18 on Allure Feb 3-10. Upon return to Fort Lauderdale on the 10th we will be boarding Silhouette at terminal 25 for a cruise Feb 10 -17. My question is, can we walk from terminal 18 to terminal 25 with our luggage? if yes, what is the approximate distance?

We are cruising from Terminal 18 on Allure Feb 3-10. Upon return to Fort Lauderdale on the 10th we will be boarding Silhouette at terminal 25 for a cruise Feb 10 -17. My question is, can we walk from terminal 18 to terminal 25 with our luggage? if yes, what is the approximate distance?

Hi shrek, Your on the wrong board. Your departing from Port Everglades not Port Canaveral. But I wouldn't try to walk from Terminal 18 to 25, it's only about a third of a mile distance but not walker friendly.

Hi shrek, Your on the wrong board. Your departing from Port Everglades not Port Canaveral. But I wouldn't try to walk from Terminal 18 to 25, it's only about a third of a mile distance but not walker friendly.

Thanks for the info. :)

It is so chaotic there that you could get run over. Guess you will probably have to take a cab.

I understand there is a public bus (or shuttle) stop just out side the port. Does anyone know the exact location of the stop? One of its destinations is Cocoa Beach.

I've never seen a SCAT bus at a terminal during my 6 cruises out of Canaveral. They may have a stop outside the port, but that could entail a VERY long hike.

Edit: I just took a look at the online maps for Space Coast Area Transit and the closest to the port looks to be Route 9. I'd guess it to be at least a mile (maybe further) from the RCL terminal; even further from Carnival.

Edited by richardb

Can anyone recommend a reputable parking company near the port? thanks

We used park n cruise when we were there last august. Very efficient. They shuttled us to the port and when we came back from our cruise they were at the port waiting to take passengers back to their car. Much cheaper than parking at the port.

How convenient is it for a relative to drop off and pick you up from a Royal Caribbean cruise from Port Canaveral? I have a cousin that lives right there in Cocoa Beach and has offered us a ride but I remember from several yrs ago it was real slow going getting in and chaotic after a cruise when we cruised out of there several yrs ago. It would be the Monarch. Thanks

Have a question, if part of my travel group and all luggage dropped off at cruise terminal, then someone returns rental car and then comes back on rental car shuttle, can you enter terminal separately then meet up inside before checking in? Just want to make sure if we do this i am not standing outside terminal waiting for my husband to arrive back there on car rental shuttle. Thanks for specifics from anyone who has done this.

How convenient is it for a relative to drop off and pick you up from a Royal Caribbean cruise from Port Canaveral? I have a cousin that lives right there in Cocoa Beach and has offered us a ride but I remember from several yrs ago it was real slow going getting in and chaotic after a cruise when we cruised out of there several yrs ago. It would be the Monarch. Thanks

Drop off is no problem, done it for the FOS. I hesitate to comment on pick up, but I don't think it will be a problem for the Monarch. Being a smaller ship, it also has a smaller crowd. Sure it is hectic, but if you wait for the crowd to thin out (you don't have a flight to catch, do you), it won't be a problem.

Weird question:

I am coming into Port Canaveral directly from a business trip and meeting my wife at Orlando Airport. We're coming in two days before our cruise leaves because we want to see the space center. I will have business stuff (dirty dress clothes, laptop etc) that I won't want to take on the cruise.

Any lockers available at the port (we're taking Freedom of the Seas - Royal Carribbean)?

If not, do you think the hotel would hold a suitcase for me for a week?

thanks.

Edited by euphio

Have a question, if part of my travel group and all luggage dropped off at cruise terminal, then someone returns rental car and then comes back on rental car shuttle, can you enter terminal separately then meet up inside before checking in? Just want to make sure if we do this i am not standing outside terminal waiting for my husband to arrive back there on car rental shuttle. Thanks for specifics from anyone who has done this.

YAY a question I can help answer.... We just got back last week from our 1st PC cruise!

We rented a car from budget to get around pre-cruise. I did not want to juggle all of our luggage, kids and such on the shuttle so I had my husband drop us off first. I assumed we would have to wait outside for him and enter together. When we pulled up to the porters and dropped our luggage. The porter was super helpful and was giving my DH directions on how to get to the parking area. We explained that we had a rental so he pointed me in the kids in the direction of the check in area and told my husband to make sure he had his correct ID's with him so he could just meet up with us on the ship. I admit I was a bit leary of this but I took the carry ons and kids and we went to check in. Once there I asked every person if it was OK for us to go through and have my DH meet up later. Everyone said yes. So we proceeded through security and on to the check in desk. I explained to the CCL rep again my husband was dropping of the rental and will be boarding later and is it OK we just go through w/o him. He said yes it was fine all he needs to show is his ID's and he will be fine. So me and the kids boarded the ship w/o him. We kept in contact via cell phone. He had no issues getting through security and checking in with just his ID's. He said it was probably the easiest time he has ever had boarding - meaning he was not stuck helping with carry on's, kids, etc. He breezed through everything! It did take him maybe an hour or so from the time we left him at the porters til we met up later. For me it went super fast as it took time to get through everything. And once on board we found a spot to sit and wait for rooms to open. For him it went fast to as he was busy return the car and such. HIGHLY recommend this to everyone.

Post cruise we again had a rental waiting for us. This was more of a hassle to get back to the rental company. We all left the ship together to gather luggage and waited for the rental shuttle. The shuttle waiting area was a ZOO! Ppl standing everywhere, bags everywhere nothing clearly marked to where to wait for what. We saw budget vans coming and going but never over to our ship (3 ships all together where in port). My DH was told to flag them down if you can and they will make sure to come to your ship. He was finally able to flag down a empty shuttle who came over but parked away from us to another group jumped on and filled the shuttle. So back to waiting we went, as my DH was getting fired up. Finally another shuttle did come around and have room for us. It was a long process. I would recommend if possible to have whoever get off the ship early and get the rental car and come back for your group. Much easier to fit and navigate the shuttle w/o luggage in tow as well. They do have porters who will help with luggage if you need it. Even if we all would of disembarked at the same time and I had to sit and wait w/ the kids would of been better than what we went through fighting through crowds, confussion of where to wait, etc all while lugging our suitcases.

Agree with your advice regarding post cruise. On our last cruise, six of us shared a minivan back to MCO. The driver went through customs without any luggage (each of us only had one bag so it wasn't a big deal for his partner to handle his for him) and got on a rental shuttle while the rest of us schlepped the luggage. We were cruising NCL so we went through the tunnel to the parking lot and waited there for him to pick us up. We were a little worried that the parking guard might make him pay a whole day's worth of parking and were ready to march across the parking lot (in the rain:eek:) if need be, but the guard said no charge for the first 15 minutes (or something like that) so it worked out fine. He pulled in, we loaded up and off to the airport we went. He said because he had no luggage, he was able to get off the shuttle first when they go to the Budget office and was first in line to get a car from his shuttle.

I continue to believe that renting a car is the easiest and most economical way to get from MCO to PC and back.