tender process

jackiedanny

i am going on the volendam to new zealand and will have to take the tender to shore in the bay of islands my mother is 79 and not exactlly nimble could someone answer the forllowing questions please

are there steps into the tender boat or is it like a ramp?

if there are steps, are they like climbing a ladder or like proper steps?

are they steep? eg how many

thanks

jackiedanny:confused:

Its not an easy process, but the benefit is you get to see ports that dont have piers. If you use a chair or other assistance device, you will be well catered to. The crew are well trained and go out of their way to aid passengers with special needs. Best advise is to not aim for the first groups as everyone is rushing. Hold off a bit and let the hoards go, then you can take your time... New Zealand is amazing. Don't miss out just because of that little hurdle...

:D:D:D

I find that the crew of HAL ships cater very well to grandma's and grandpa's. They are brought up to respect their elders. They are very helpful to those hesitating about getting into the tenders. If you mother is mobile but just a little slow and not nimble, they will help her in and out very carefully. Just take all the time she needs; no rushing inspite of those in back of her who are in a rush. The boat will wait!! The only concern would be in rough seas and then they just might cancel the port. You can have perfectly calm seas getting off the tender but coming back the wind can pick up. You need to be careful in ports also because walkways and streets can be uneven, cracked or holey.

When we were in the Bay of Islands a year ago the water was very calm, this is a very protected stretch of water thus making the tender operation relatively easy. The bigger issue may be the steps in the tender itself. Once again there are crew to help you.

When we were in the Bay of Islands a year ago the water was very calm, this is a very protected stretch of water thus making the tender operation relatively easy.

Thank you for that piece of information. It was very reassuring.

We have just returned from 20th Dec NZ & Australia cruise on the Volendam, several of the ports were by tender. At present I have mobility issues as I'm recovering from a seriously broken leg and only have praise for the tender crews for the assistance they gave me both up an down the steps to the tender and getting in and out of the tender.

Russell where you will tender into in the Bay of Islands is very protected and you would be very unlucky to have any problems. Its a beautiful part of NZ so enjoy.

i am going on the volendam to new zealand and will have to take the tender to shore in the bay of islands my mother is 79 and not exactlly nimble could someone answer the forllowing questions please

are there steps into the tender boat or is it like a ramp?

if there are steps, are they like climbing a ladder or like proper steps?

are they steep? eg how many

thanks

jackiedanny:confused:

Hope this helps giving you a visual as far as what's involved in tendering! This is a pic of Zaandam, Volendam's sister, during tender ops off Belize. You can see the tender platform where the sailor (in the orange life vest) and the Bev steward assisting him (a collateral duty) are standing. That platform is hydraulically lowered from the side of the ship's hull.

There are approx. fourteen-fifteen steps, that you can see, that passengers have to climb (or descend going the other way to the tender) in order to get back "in the ship". Decending to the tender via the same steps and once standing on the tender platform, crew members will assist elderly, children, mobility-impaired, or others who need it, into the tender. One crew member will usually position himself inside the tender. This process usually involves one additional step into the tender itself (sometime the yellow "step stool" you see the Bev steward leaning on is used).

Obviously, tendering is subject to the elements, i.e. swells, wind, etc. If it's calm, it's a pretty straightforward process. If there's increased movement, it can be difficult for the persons mentioned above. If it becomes too much of a safety issue, the captain will cancel the tender operation and the port of call. Have a great time!

IMG_2400.jpg?t=1263427701

IMG_7544.jpg?t=1263427643

thankyou , all wishes of luck gratefully recieved, as someone said above bay of islands near russel is a protected stretch of water because of the islands so hopefully it will be calm, i showed mum the pic and she feels she could handle it slowly

thanks again for all the advice

jackiedanny:)

thankyou , all wishes of luck gratefully recieved, as someone said above bay of islands near russel is a protected stretch of water because of the islands so hopefully it will be calm, i showed mum the pic and she feels she could handle it slowly

thanks again for all the advice

jackiedanny:)

Great to hear JackieDanny!:) Have her take her time! The crew assigned to the gangway & tendering is there to assist if she/you needs it. Have a great cruise with Mum!

Archived