First time on Azamara, what should we expect?

tawcat

Hello, we are seasoned cruisers but never have taken this class of line or ship.

A bit stumped over all the dining options and reservations etc. Also, the dress code is still very vague to us. Resort casual? Does this mean a coat at dinner for the guy?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Hello, we are seasoned cruisers but never have taken this class of line or ship.

A bit stumped over all the dining options and reservations etc. Also, the dress code is still very vague to us. Resort casual? Does this mean a coat at dinner for the guy?

Coat not required and dining is casual but many dress because it is such an elegant venue. Specialty even more elegant. Main dining just go when you are ready. Best kept secret is Breezas ...food is wonderful and great variety. Enjoy!

I understand your problem. When I took my first Azamara cruise, I was also perplexed. Somebody on this site told me to think Coldwater Creek, Chicos. They were right on. Daytime I'd be very casual...LLBean or Landsend. Leave the logo tees home. Daytime, jeans, shorts, warmups are great. Nightime I like dark pants and a nice shirt. No jackets. There will be some folks who will wear ties and jackets. If it makes them happy, it's okay. However, most people do not dress that way. We met some folks who did a 2 week cruise with only a carryon....laundry is open and useful. Just think relaxed and comfortable, After this cruise, you'll never want those formal night cruises with assigned tablemates again.

My husband brings a jacket but no tie. He'll usually wear the jacket two or three times.

There is something that just makes sense about eating when you're hungry rather than at a preassigned time.

One of the best parts of open seating is meeting people from other countries, cultures, or backgrounds. I can't imagine going on a cruise with assigned seating.

You'll love Azamara. We leave on our 6th Azamara cruise next month with another booked for September.

Coat not required and dining is casual but many dress because it is such an elegant venue. Specialty even more elegant. Main dining just go when you are ready. Best kept secret is Breezas ...food is wonderful and great variety. Enjoy!

What is Breezas?

I understand your problem. When I took my first Azamara cruise, I was also perplexed. Somebody on this site told me to think Coldwater Creek, Chicos. They were right on. Daytime I'd be very casual...LLBean or Landsend. Leave the logo tees home. Daytime, jeans, shorts, warmups are great. Nightime I like dark pants and a nice shirt. No jackets. There will be some folks who will wear ties and jackets. If it makes them happy, it's okay. However, most people do not dress that way. We met some folks who did a 2 week cruise with only a carryon....laundry is open and useful. Just think relaxed and comfortable, After this cruise, you'll never want those formal night cruises with assigned tablemates again.

We are not bringing jackets this trip. We will be in China prior and can only check one 44 pound bag each. That leaves out the Suiter (3rd bag) we normally bring with suits/jackets.

Wow. Haven't they only been around for 2 or 3 years?

Yes. We took our first Azamara cruise in February 2008. On that cruise we met another couple (lonestarsteve) who will also be on the cruise next month. For them it will be cruise number 8.

We decided to try Azamara after three cruises on Oceania and three on Renaissance. We love the ships. Sailing on Azamara has been a great cruise experience and a great value. We love the people we've met, both passengers and crew and staff. The itineraries have been fantastic. I never imagined that I'd get the chance to visit Ukraine - and that Black Sea cruise itinerary was amazing.

Thanks to Liesl Smit, Ngawhira Fleet, Niyazi Korkmaz, Brian White and many others, when we board the Journey or the Quest we feel like we're at home. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Took the Best of Italy in June Fabulous sky suite which I recommend to all I loved the casual dress Nice pants and shirt for men Ladies mostly wore long comfortable skirts and tops or dress pants and tops Nothing sequined Although there were a few people very dressed up but they were definately in the minority We are thinking of the Norwegian Fjord cruise in May Have you been to that area

I am going to go on the Journey for 12 days (Jan 19,2010) and when I come I will post some tips for you. It will be my first time on board of this ship and I can wait for the experience. My friends did a 2 week trip in Europe on the Journey and loved it. I will try to get back to you around Feb. 01.

Hi Tawcat !

You will find that Azamara features outstanding service, great cuisine, and a wonderful atmosphere, mostly due to the ships smaller size. Also, limited smoking areas (for us) was very welcome. We are avid Celebrity Cruisers, and We loved the smaller ship experience, and how the crew worked so hard to make sure you had a great time. Make sure to try Aqualina and Prime C, Azamara's Specialty Restaurants, as they offer an incredible Dining experience.

As others mentioned, a Jacket at dinner is not a must, but you will see some men wearing them. On my sailing, I would say the majority did not wear a Jacket.

If you have additional questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy your Cruise !

We will board Quest in Singapore for our first Azamara Cruise to Hong Kong in just 37 days. We thought we were in our "CAN'T WAIT TO GO" mode already but this thread just made it worse. And made our decision to cruise on Azamara (can we get a letter for them, like we have X for Celebrity:D) sound a whole bunch better.

We are long-time X cruisers and love them a bunch but our Solstice cruise last March told us we wanted a much smaller ship. Galaxy, Century and Mercury have been good to us so why not try something smaller.

Keep posting these great comments. It only makes the waiting both harder and easier.

Tawcat's DW here. I also appreciate all the input! I started cruising over 20 years ago when the ships were not trying to be super theme parks and floating cities. I am very excited to experience a more personal cruise again. We are sailing the last week of February to those lovely smaller ports in the Caribbean. Have fallen in love with the cruise around the cost of Italy so that will be next on our agenda.

Tawcat's DW here. I also appreciate all the input! I started cruising over 20 years ago when the ships were not trying to be super theme parks and floating cities. I am very excited to experience a more personal cruise again. We are sailing the last week of February to those lovely smaller ports in the Caribbean. Have fallen in love with the cruise around the cost of Italy so that will be next on our agenda.

hi are you on the feb 24 sailing on the journey? if so, so are we:D can't wait!

Hi Susiefay !

I wish I was on your sailing, as I need a cruise :). I'm bummed that I do not have an Azamara Cruise booked for 2010. Have you checked out your Roll Call ?

Have a wonderful time on Journey !

susiefay, yes we are on the Feb 24 sailing. As HostAndy said, check out the roll call board if you haven't already done so. See you onboard.

Whereabouts in Massachusetts? I was born and raised in the little town Chicoppe Falls.

Could someone please help me sort out all the extras that Azamara Club are offering?

I am somewhat thinking of a cruise in November and the prices look fair. Do they include all the new perks such as wine at lunch and dinner, gratuities, dinner at the specialty restaurant and free laundry service. I also heard (read) about complimentary flowers in the room- this could be the one that wins me over.:)

Thanks.

Could someone please help me sort out all the extras that Azamara Club are offering?

I am somewhat thinking of a cruise in November and the prices look fair. Do they include all the new perks such as wine at lunch and dinner, gratuities, dinner at the specialty restaurant and free laundry service. I also heard (read) about complimentary flowers in the room- this could be the one that wins me over.:)

Thanks.

Hi Blue Lagoon !

Here is a link to Cruise Critic's article, which outlines the new features. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3583

One item to note from your post - Dinner at the Specialty Restaurants will not be complimentary, unless you are in a Suite. The charge will be 15.00 per person, effective April 1st. I hope this helps. Enjoy your Cruise !

When we booked and because we are sailing prior to the April changes, I believe we are able to do advanced reservations for the two specialty dining rooms for the two complimentary seatings that we will have in February.

I remember something about the time frame to do this...Host Andy, et all - can you share that with us? Is it 30 days? 60? Would love to get these booked!

We are also signed up to do the cooking excusion - which we hope will be as super as ones we have participated in before on other cruises. Has anyone does this with Azamara?

When we booked and because we are sailing prior to the April changes, I believe we are able to do advanced reservations for the two specialty dining rooms for the two complimentary seatings that we will have in February.

I remember something about the time frame to do this...Host Andy, et all - can you share that with us? Is it 30 days? 60? Would love to get these booked!

We are also signed up to do the cooking excusion - which we hope will be as super as ones we have participated in before on other cruises. Has anyone does this with Azamara?

Yes we are on the roll call, but haven't seen you, hence the reference! We live in Longmeadow, originally from NY, i know exactly where Chicopee Falls is! Small world!

Andy, I know just how you feel, hopefully the time will pass quickly for you, except for the 12 days we are onboard:D

Also what cooking excursion? This is our first time on Azamara and we are beyond excited!!

Hi Susifay!

I am super excited and ready to pack! Just not looking forward to the flight - I just don't find it fun anymore

I copied this from the Azamara site - it's the only ship sponsored excursion we are taking. Come join us! I will also double check the roll call - that's something the DH always does, buy apparently missed it this time ;-)

Cooking Caribbean, Rum and Nature - RO66 - Roseau, Dominica

Join 2 of Dominica's hottest culinary experts for a unique food experience in local cuisine! Learn how to produce and present traditional Caribbean dishes as well as prepare desserts and delicacies utilizing Caribbean foods and spices. Afterwards, have the wonderful meal that you have just learned to cook.

Approx. Duration: 3 hour(s) 30 minute(s)

*Current Price: Starting from

89.00 (USD) - Adult

89.00 (USD) - Child

0.00 (USD) - Infant

Activity Type: Cuisine Tours | Wilderness & Wildlife Tours | Sightseeing and/or City Tours | Adventure Tours

Activity Level: Mild

Advisements:

Restrictions: Maximum weight: 300 pounds.

Minimum age: 14 years old.

We are on Quest in February and we have already called and made Specialty restaurant reservations. You have to be a member of the Captain's Club with either Azamara or X or Crown and Anchor on RCL. There is an entire sticky on it at the top of the Azamara board.

Jim

Archived