If you could have your first cruise back...?

kdinkus1

I wouldn't change a thing, except to take pictures. It was 37 years ago, tiny ship, I had a single cabin in 'steerage' (but I did have a porthole), and the bathroom was down the hall. I thought it was such an exotic, romantic, decadent thing to do, couldn't believe I could afford it. Acquired a boyfriend in the crew, and sailed three more times in the next year. Those Italians! Ships have changed, improved, but good times haven't! EM

Would definitely not have worn panty hose and high heels on the 1978 Pacific Princess (Love Boat) Mexican Riviera cruise on shore! In July! (What the heck did I know?) High heels and cobblestones - not a great mix. No such thing as shore excursions back then. You just got off the ship and walked around. Sigh.

I would have definitely gone to the Welcome Aboard show. That might sound dumb but now when I go, it feels like I'm on a cruise again!! I also would have not been so apprehensive about ordering more than one appetizer, entree, dessert etc. Taken more pictures too. Also, I WOULD HAVE JOINED CRUISE CRITIC FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

My first cruise was on the NCL Norway in October 1999. It was a wonderful experience, and the only thing I would do differently if I could go back would be to take more photos on board the ship. Took lots of photos at the ports of call, but very few on board. Dont know why. I really liked the International lounge, the promenade area, and the theatre. Now the ship is beached somewhere in India, I think. So sad.

In 1985, we went on the Sunward (so small!) We were docked in Nassau & DH wanted to be "frisky"! Being much younger & new to cruising I said to DH "What if we rock the boat?" His come back was "We'll really be doin' somethin'!" We still get a laugh out of that today!! And I shouldn't have watched the "Poseidon Adventure" movie before leaving home. I was scared to death! Hey, do any of you remember back to ships like the Carnivale that had swimming pools in the VERY bottom inside the ship?!! Now those were spooky!!

It was 1976 and I was 25. I grew up in NY and didn't have any experience with Caribbean sun. The one thing I would do differently is wear more sun screen and sit in the shade instead of the sun.

The sunburn from that cruise caused skin damage on my right arm that has never disappeared.

Our first cruise was a 3 day cruise in the middle of February leaving from Los Angeles, going to Ensenada, on Viking Serenade [Royal Caribbean]...and we booked an inside room. Can you say BUDGET????!!! We now book balcony 7 day cruises and love them. If you can afford a balcony, DO go for it.

If I had it to do over again, I would never have booked a 3 day cruise in the middle of the winter. My opinion is that since the weather was so cold we didn't get to enjoy 1/2 the ship -- it was too icky being outside. And I'm now hooked on cruising anywhere warm. I know people rave about Alaska but I'm convinced I just need that sunshine, warmth and balmy sea breezes.

I still pack too many clothes but oh well!

129 days til our Southern Caribbean!

My first cruise was with HAL on a cruisetour in Alaska. I had been diagnosed with kidney cancer in January of 2004 so made the arrangements to go in August because I knew I would be dead within a year (6 years ago).

We spent 13 days using trains, busses, and boats (on a river) going through Alaska and the Yukon territories. The only thing I wish I had done was use a digital camera but at the time I had a 35mm with numerous lenses and it cost a fortune to develop something like 30+ rolls of film. Other then that it really was perfect. The last 4 nights were on the cruiseship. So my first cruise was only 4 nights long. but that sure hooked me

We made friends with 6 other people and remain so to this day, and 2 of the cruises of the 3 I had taken after that were with these people,,and we are all planning on doing a Nile River Cruise in 2012.

I had an assigned cabin for (4) on the Riviera Deck.

I booked through Singles World (1983) My friend and I had two roommates we didn't know.

We hooked up with the waiters and had a blast in the ports.

We all became good friends. I visited one of my new friends on my next vacation. She introduced me to a co-worker on New Year's Eve. We were married a year later.

This summer we'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary on the Valor. No Riviera deck for us - now we're balcony snobs. Ocean Suite this trip!

[quote name='F22Smitty'] BeerBuckets, great user name.:D [COLOR=red]Thanks! [/COLOR]

I would have patented my invention/idea and I would be a very rich man.
[COLOR=red]You would have my business sir..[/COLOR]

It was on the Holiday in 1992 (John Heald was our CD). Wha was our Lido deck waitress. I asked her if she could sell us a six pack of Silver Bullets and put them in a container with ice. She came back with two wine buckets with 3 beers in each covered with ice, [B]THUS THE INVENTION OF THE BUCKET OF BEER[/B].:D [COLOR=red]I believe that you should put this in your signature![/COLOR]

When the group of college guys next to us saw this, they ordered a case with ice over. Wha brought them a case of BUD in a bus boys tub. It became the thing to do the rest of the cruise.

The following year on our cruise they were selling buckets of beer at a reduced price.:mad:

As for the cruise, it took me 3 days to find the topless deck.:mad:[/quote]

That sucks about topless deck, do they still have those?

[quote name='Dana Deem'] Hey, do any of you remember back to ships like the Carnivale that had swimming pools in the VERY bottom inside the ship?!! Now those were spooky!![/quote]

I haven't read the entire thread, but had to chime in about the Carnivale indoor pool! It was dark and creepy in there! Hardly anyone ever swam in it when we were there in (around) 1978! I believe they had an indoor movie theater too. I was like 12 years old, so don't remember too much...

[quote name='Homosassa']It was 1976 and I was 25. I grew up in NY and didn't have any experience with Caribbean sun. The one thing I would do differently is wear more sun screen and sit in the shade instead of the sun.

The sunburn from that cruise caused skin damage on my right arm that has never disappeared.[/QUOTE]

Same here; being from the Southwest I'm very careful about not getting burned and always use sunscreen, but the sun reflecting off the water was intense. Never again will I get burned like that, to painful.

Wow...! My computer has been 'under-the-weather' since I started this post and I come back to find so many funny and heart-warming stories AND helpful 'hints' for the next new set of cruisers! Thanks CC'ers!

I agree about booking a balcony! We couldn't afford one until our 3rd cruise and I am now an 'official balcony snob' too! :D

And... here is another post idea. Since so many of you seem to have been cruising for many, many years... what are some of the most major changes? Actually, I think I will start a new thread as it looks like it might be very interesting! Thanks for the idea [U][B]Essiesmom and Dana Deem[/B][/U]! (plus others..)

NOTHING!!!!

Our first cruise, just the DW and I, was on Jubilee out of Tampa. It was a sign on bonus when she took a job at the University of Louisville Hospital. We paid to upgrade to a 4-day and to an ocean-view cabin.

The date was Sept 13, 2001. Yep......2 days after 9/11. We had airfare (pre-paid for as part of the package) from Louisville KY, to Tampa, but needless to say, that didn't happen. Instead we drove the 14 hours to Tampa, not even sure that the cruise would even be happening. Everything was so confused, and when we left KY, even Carnival wasn't sure whether or not the ship would be saining as scheduled.

Happily, it did. And despite the airlines being grounded, almost everyone who had booked the cruise made it to to Tampa on time.

We met people who had driven to Tampa from as far away as Ontario to make the voyage. For some reason, that made me feel better about everything.

We missed our first port call at Key West because of a tropical storm, but Cozumel was a blast. In fact, the ship filled any empty cabins with U.S. citizens who were stranded in Cozumel because their flights had been cancelled.

Even with all the drama and confusion surrounding 9/11 and the fact that it was our first cruise, we had a wonderful time.

We have done several cruises since then and we have no intention of stopping!! Personally I can't imagine a better way to vacation.

[quote name='WhenD']I would have gone with someone else! [/quote]

Double Ditto!!:)

Actually other than that I would not have changed anything. There was nothing like the First time magic you get not knowing anything about a cruise ship and actually how big it is. Mine was on the Fantasy in 1997

Archived