Explorer Delayed from Drydock

Tyler80

Delay - Explorer of the Seas

January 13, 2010 12:00 p.m. E.S.T

s.gif

Explorer of the Seas' departure from dry dock in Freeport, Bahamas was delayed. Because of this, Explorer of the Seas is expected to arrive in Bayonne, New Jersey on Thursday, January 14 later than originally scheduled.

We ask that guests who are scheduled to sail on Explorer of the Seas on Thursday not arrive at the port before 3:00 p.m., but no later than 7:00 p.m.

The delayed departure is not expected to have an impact on the scheduled itinerary.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do

They probably still have things to finish up at the dock in NJ that didn't get done..They will make up the time during the night to get you to your first port on time..We had the same problem at Port Canaveral a couple of years ago and there was no delay getting to any of the ports on our schedule..Enjoy your cruise..We will be on the Explorer on 2/5..Let us know what they did to the ship to improve its condition..Thanks

My mother is on this cruise. She said they had to stand at the dock in the freezing cold for hours before they were allowed to board. She said a woman passed out right next to her from standing in the cold so long.

Freezing cold is a bit of an exaggeration. It was over 40 degrees today. I doubt the "cold" caused anyone to pass out.

Freezing cold is a bit of an exaggeration. It was over 40 degrees today. I doubt the "cold" caused anyone to pass out.

After our experience on the Christmas / New Year Cruise I won`t cruise out of New York again. The people who turned up before they were supposed to, 11.30-12.00 seemed to get aboard relatively easily - I even read one person who mentioned drinks and cookies !

Arriving at 1.00pm it was a two and a half to three hour ordeal in the freezing cold and we have priority boarding supposedly!

No, you are herded like cattle and for me it set the tone for much of the cruise being a busy one with lots of kids. Had the embarkation gone smoothly I think we would have accepted the on board queues and waiting in line more easily. As it was you stepped aboard in a bad mood and it left a lingering undertone, especially when all the information you waited in line to provide got "lost" somewhere between the pier and the purser on board.

It reminded me of Miami 15 years ago. And native New Yorkers aren`t exactly famed for their charm !!

H.

My mother is on this cruise. She said they had to stand at the dock in the freezing cold for hours before they were allowed to board. She said a woman passed out right next to her from standing in the cold so long.

what time did they arrive...when were they allowed on board?

After our experience on the Christmas / New Year Cruise I won`t cruise out of New York again. The people who turned up before they were supposed to, 11.30-12.00 seemed to get aboard relatively easily - I even read one person who mentioned drinks and cookies !

Arriving at 1.00pm it was a two and a half to three hour ordeal in the freezing cold and we have priority boarding supposedly!

No, you are herded like cattle and for me it set the tone for much of the cruise being a busy one with lots of kids. Had the embarkation gone smoothly I think we would have accepted the on board queues and waiting in line more easily. As it was you stepped aboard in a bad mood and it left a lingering undertone, especially when all the information you waited in line to provide got "lost" somewhere between the pier and the purser on board.

It reminded me of Miami 15 years ago. And native New Yorkers aren`t exactly famed for their charm !!

H.

What you experienced was not the norm. I'm sure you are aware of that by now. Your embarkation was affected by a snow storm. Our experiences with embarkation at Cape Liberty have been better than many experiences we've had in Fort Lauderdale.

The last time we cruised out of Cape Liberty the lines were so long for priority embarkation we used the regular line and sailed right through. That's not Cape Liberty's fault. It's Royal's loyalty programs fault.

It may not be to you, but to an elderly person, or a person with limited mobility, neuropathy, etc., 40 degrees can be VERY cold, especially if it is breezy. I can do 40 plus, but my feet would still freeze! :eek:

My parents took a cruise out of NY years ago, and they had to stand out in the freezing cold and rain for a cruise sponsored bus to take them to the airport. It was delayed and they ended up in this bad weather for a few hours. My mom ended up in the hospital with pneumonia a few days later.:(

It may not be to you, but to an elderly person, or a person with limited mobility, neuropathy, etc., 40 degrees can be VERY cold, especially if it is breezy. I can do 40 plus, but my feet would still freeze! :eek:

My parents took a cruise out of NY years ago, and they had to stand out in the freezing cold and rain for a cruise sponsored bus to take them to the airport. It was delayed and they ended up in this bad weather for a few hours. My mom ended up in the hospital with pneumonia a few days later.:(

I think any rational person would agree 42 degrees can never be described as "freezing cold."

My mom ended up in the hospital with pneumonia a few days later.:(

Oh, let's not start THIS old wives tale! Everyone knows that "cold weather" doesn't actually make someone sick. And it certainly didn't give mom pneumonia.

Cold weather makes people sick when prolonged exposure leads to hypothermia and other complications. But the notion that standing out in the cold gave someone pneumonia is absurd.

We have cruised out of Cape Liberty four times, once on the Connie and thrice on the Explorer. When the weather is normal, people dribble in all day long and there are no real backups, such as the Oct 2005 Connie and the May 2007 Explorer trips. With bad snowy conditions, such as the Dec 2008 and Dec 2009 holiday Explorer cruises, everybody tries to get to the pier early and there are massive backups. Both times, we inched forward for close to an hour before reaching the terminal building. At least we were in the heated car and sitting. And yes, the Diamond program has been so successful that the lines are frequently longer then the regular pax lines.

Oh, let's not start THIS old wives tale! Everyone knows that "cold weather" doesn't actually make someone sick. And it certainly didn't give mom pneumonia.

Cold weather makes people sick when prolonged exposure leads to hypothermia and other complications. But the notion that standing out in the cold gave someone pneumonia is absurd.

Excuse me!!! I am not starting anything. Do you know what happened to my mother? Were you there with her - at the port and in the hospital? :mad: My mother has a lung condition (similar to bad asthma) and the cold weather caused her to have breathing problems and lung complications that turned into pneumonia. She almost died! :(

I think any rational person would agree 42 degrees can never be described as "freezing cold."

Well, my mother is a "rational" person and she thinks that our house (set at 65 degrees) is freezing. Heck! My toes are frozen right now. :D

Anyway, how did this thread get turned into an argument over what someone perceives as "freezing" and getting sick by the weather? :rolleyes:

Archived