Hull Paint

world~citizen

Thanks Philip

I think the one that really gets me is people taking the elevator one or two flights - DOWN. We always walk up and I undestand some people can not or will not. But going down? Give me a freakin break.

actually sometimes for me going down is harder....reconstructive knee surgery and i am sure its harder for other people...and hey MAYBE ONE DAY you will be the ONE that cant go down a flight...DONT BE SO QUICK to post something like that:(!!!

actually sometimes for me going down is harder....reconstructive knee surgery and i am sure its harder for other people...and hey MAYBE ONE DAY you will be the ONE that cant go down a flight...DONT BE SO QUICK to post something like that:(!!!

I think somebody needs a cruise quick! :)

Don't take it so personally.

I'm sure garycarla was talking about obviously able-bodied people that are simply too lazy to walk up or down a flight of stairs. People with legitimate disabilities/challenges are (or should be) exempt from all such sarcastic comments.

Thanks Philip

I think the one that really gets me is people taking the elevator one or two flights - DOWN. We always walk up and I undestand some people can not or will not. But going down? Give me a freakin break.

How did we get from hull art to elevators and stairs?

Wow...why so judgmental? In the post you are railing against, it plainly states: "I undestand some people can not".

What do you want?:rolleyes:

On the subject of stairs...where I used to work (current building is just one floor), the policy posted in and near the elevators was

"Up One, Down Two"

What this meant was you were to take the stairs if you were going up one flight or down one or two flights...other than that use of the elevator was allowed.

Of course, exceptions were always made for those with needs.

Is it just me, or are the graphics on the bows of NCL ships just plain silly? :eek:

I like them, fun, festive, bright and best of all; when I see the ship and it's artwork; it just means that I'm walking on board. :D

Thanks Philip

When I was 17 yrs old I was in an accident that left my left ankle totally crushed, many nerves were severed and damaged; I have pins, plates and screws holding together my foot & ankle and many days I use the elevator to go down even 1 flight of steps because I have to walk slow and take each step one at a time, therefore holding up those behind me and because several nerves were damaged I have limited feeling in my foot and it just flops when going up/down stairs so it is dangerous.

I love the NCL artwork!!

My favourite cruiseships based on looks alone are Disney.... followed by NCL.

We saw an Aida cruiseship on our last cruise..... thought it was horrible..... didn't really understand the lips thing!

I love the hull art, I think it adds to the cruise ship. The hull art adds excitement when you see it at the dock. Not that anyone would need to be more excited to be on a cruise. I just like the fact I am set apart from the norm on a NCL cruise ship.

I've read at least one post where the person commented that they may be interested in looking at NCL cruises because they liked the hull art. So who knows how many other people are attracted to the line after seeing one of the ships.

I had this happen at my work.

I had a picture of the Jewel as my background wallpaper and the IT guy came over and started chatting, turns out he really want to take his family on a cruise so I answered some of his questions. I also told him the differences of the cruise lines and that they might suits his needs better depending on what he was looking for.

As soon as I started talking about other lines he stopped me and said "no, no, we're going on that" and points to my wallpaper of the Jewel. He went on to explain how much he loved the fun and festive hullart on the ship lol.

So it does happen. :D

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but which ships give more of an impression of fun and festivity simply by their looks? :cool:

I see no harm in the hull art. ;)

Thanks for the pics. When looking at the ships side by side, you hardly even look at the RCCL ship because of the colours and paint work on the Dawn and Sky.

The hullart sure does work in grabbing attention!

Side note, I've always wonder how they paint the hullart on. Do they have a template that the shipyard "tape" onto the hull and have the painters come in after? Or maybe it's somehow guided by a computer. Would be interesting to find out.

Some hull art is more attractive than others. I think the Sun's hull is just about perfect, and is my favorite. I also like the Sky's Hawaiian flowers, though it no longer matches the ship's name. The Spirit and Star aren't terrible, but don't do much for me. I think the Dawn's hull has way too much stuff painted on it, and the newer ships look pretty cartoonish. One person's opinion--feel free to agree or disagree as you wish.

Me too. Especially when you're parked next to the Flat Black and White of HAL.

It took me a long time (5 years) before I would cruise on HAL because of the exterior colors, what a big mistake, it's the inner beauty that really matters. Don't let the hull colors / art keep you from cruising any cruise line.

Each NCL ship hull art has a story to tell if you look deep into it, each person will see something different. Enjoy what you see and enjoy your cruising.

Thanks for the pics. When looking at the ships side by side, you hardly even look at the RCCL ship because of the colours and paint work on the Dawn and Sky.

The hullart sure does work in grabbing attention!

Side note, I've always wonder how they paint the hullart on. Do they have a template that the shipyard "tape" onto the hull and have the painters come in after? Or maybe it's somehow guided by a computer. Would be interesting to find out.

Not painted on at all....think of them a big giant decals.

You can see the Star's hull art being applied in this album: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/155024086ZHOVtV

You can see the Star's hull art being applied in this album: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/155024086ZHOVtV

Thank you for the link, this one, out of that series

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1155026396056775672VLTebG

really catches them in the act. You can see the bottom edge not rolled down yet.

Wow thanks! I've always thought it was paint!

They totally fooled me. :o I was checking out the Jewel's hullart up close before and I would have never guessed that it was decals. Some very tough materials too, to have to survive the elements and seas like they do.

I'm not a big fan of the hull paint. I don't have that kind of artwork on my car either! I vote to have NCL take it all off. But if they don't, that's find with me too. No biggie!

Interesting that you feel this way about the hull art.

Everyone on this board has the signature option on their account (much like every cruise line has the option to paint the ships however they please).

Some people choose to have no signature at all....just like some cruise lines who don't decorate their ships at all.

Some people just have a plain signature for each post...just like some cruise lines who have basic decorations for their ships.

And some people are very expressive with their signatures...just like NCL is with their ships. I see people with photos, countdown clocks, quotes, lists of past sailings, various fonts and colors, etc....

For example....look at your own "fancy" signature....;)

I think the Pride of Aloha (now the Sky) may have been painted because when we were on it in 2008 I was really checking it out when we were being tendered to shore at Kona and I remember thinking it needed a touch up because the paint was peeling???

Archived