First Time On Carnival - Review

LSEA

DH and I (early 40’s) have enjoyed multiple cruises on HAL, Princess, Celebrity and Costa. Celebrity is my fave but I have the most sailings on HAL. This was our first short cruise, our first Carnival cruise and the first time we have been able to drive to an embarkation city. Having recently relocated to the southeast we were excited to try Mobile.

We had a great time. For the price we thought is was an outstanding value. Met tons of nice people. Enjoyed the food. Loved not having to fly in the day before.

Here are a few detailed observations -

Food – We had the any time dining option and only once had to wait a very short time for a table for 2. Excellent experience. I really enjoyed the free range chicken breast w/wild berry sauce that was served on night #3 and the Indian vegetarian entrée from night #4. I had a slice of cheesecake on night #1 that was very good and the chocolate almond cake on night #4 was delish. I wasn’t blown away by the lasagna, warm chocolate melting cake or the flat iron steak. All well prepared and edible, just can’t say they were really good. There was a pasta dish on the lunch menu on the last day that was tasty. Sushi was good. Breakfast in the dining room was consistent and very satisfying. Wine list was fine and prices very much in line with what we pay elsewhere. Didn’t try much from the buffet except my husband had a bowl of spicy beef and noodles from the Mongolian section and really enjoyed it. I did try the turkey wrap from the deli and thought it was pretty good. Never got around to trying the soft serve and regret it. Don’t know why we didn’t get to it as we both love ice cream.

Room Service – excellent. Always on time and always appropriately hot / cold. Every morning we had fruit, croissants and coffee delivered. I did try the Rueben and didn’t like that. It was well prepared but I thought the corned beef was blah.

Cabin – we booked the cheapest category available. We ended up with U233. Our cabin attendant was Richard. Fantastic in every way. Room was super clean and he was a nice guy. Missed having a balcony but since the weather was bad and this was a short trip we felt like we made the right choice.

Crew – very friendly. Not one bad experience to report. Bar and dining room service was very good.

Entertainment – we didn’t attend the shows so I can’t comment. The people that we talked with enjoyed what they saw.

Ship – didn’t really like the Fantasy. I thought all of the public areas were too public if that makes sense. They all seemed to be out in the middle of a passage way. I enjoy some of the more “private” public spaces that I find on other ships. I didn’t really find any pubic area where I could sit with a book and watch the ocean go by. In all fairness though the weather on our trip was horrible so the indoor spaces were crowded. I enjoy the Crows Nest and Navigator lounges on HAL and Celebrity and didn’t find anything like that on the Fantasy. I also like ships that have a promenade deck where you can walk an entire lap (outside) around the ship. Again though the weather was horrible so I probably wouldn’t have spent much time out there anyway.

All in all this was a very good experience. I thought maybe a 4 night cruise would be too short to be worthwhile but in truth it was very relaxing and refreshing. Perhaps if the weather had been better I would have felt like I didn’t have enough time. I will absolutely consider Carnival again. I would like to try a different ship and I guess something new will be coming to Mobile later this spring? Honestly though I would even consider the Fantasy again if that is the only thing that fit into my schedule.

Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the review. I always like to read responses from a first timer. I like the Fantasy class quite a bit and I feel they usually provide a good value. I did a solo on the sister ship Imagination in August and spent a lot of time alone reading. I wish the weather would have been better for you. Usually, during the day, the Promenade Deck is pretty quite and you can sit in the big windows there and read. Also the Serenity area on the back was a perfect quite place to enjoy a good book day and night. Thanks again.

Thanks so much for the honest review! The Fantasy is my favorite ship (I have sailed her 3 times and am looking to sail on her one more time before she departs Mobile... lol). I like her because of her size.

I suspect had the weather been better, you would have found some very nice, quiet areas for you to relax and watch the world pass you by! (My very first cruise on her, I was able to "hide" from my mom and sister for almost a full day... hahaha. I needed some ME time after a week of togetherness.. lol)

Also the Serenity area on the back was a perfect quite place to enjoy a good book day and night. Thanks again.

Indeed it is. The first day at sea the weather was tolerable for just a few hours and we relaxed / read out there and enjoyed a fabulous bloody mary. I knew it would quickly become a favorite spot if only mother nature would have cooperated.

thanks for your review:)

we are going on our first carnival cruise in less than 80 days, so i love to hear everything i can;)

dave

Where you goin? What ship? What other lines have you sailed on? Please post a review!

Thanks for your review and welcome to Carnival. Next time your on a Fantasy Class ship, keep your eyes open for the library, I never see anyone in there. Not for nothing, but I didn't have the soft serve until I was on my 5th cruise.

The library was quite busy. Lots of folks having fun with the games. It still would have been a nice place to read though, I should have given it a chance.

I suspect had the weather been better, you would have found some very nice, quiet areas for you to relax and watch the world pass you by! (My very first cruise on her, I was able to "hide" from my mom and sister for almost a full day... hahaha. I needed some ME time after a week of togetherness.. lol)

Well I think you have hit the nail on the head there. People really were confined to the indoor spaces. It was so cold and windy you didn't dare step outside sans jacket.

So Fantasy class ships have no outside deck to walk on,,,doesn't have to be around the ship but nothing like a promanade deck?

Keep in mind it was horrible weather and I am sure I didn't see every bit of outside space.

Yes, there are many outside spaces for a stroll and there is a small jogging / walking track. I am just particularly fond of the promenade deck on HAL / Princess ships. At least the ones I have sailed on.

Very well balanced review. One of the things that I really like about the Fantasy is all the out of the way private places to relax and read a good book. Next time you cruise on her wonder around on some the different floors and check out some unmarked outside doors. You might be surprised at the nice private places that you stumble on to.

Very well balanced review. One of the things that I really like about the Fantasy is all the out of the way private places to relax and read a good book. Next time you cruise on her wonder around on some the different floors and check out some unmarked outside doors. You might be surprised at the nice private places that you stumble on to.

Well that settles it. You all have convinced me to try Fantasy again. The news was reporting it was the coldest weather in 131 years. What are the odds of that happening again.

LSEA,

I've done 7 cruises on HAL, 3 on Carnival. Prefer HAL, but you can't beat Carnival for what you get for the price. A great value in my book. Your experience with food and service on Carnival mirrors mine.

Roz

Thanks for the review! I, too, enjoy reading ones from first timers. If you ever get the chance, I think you would really like the Spirit Class vessels. There is an area at the front of the ship (on the Miracle it is called Gatsby's Garden... I'm not sure about the other ones) that has tons of space to sit and look out at the ocean. It is always a nice and quiet place to read or relax, and I have hardly ever seen anyone else there.

MiracleGatsbysGarden1_a.JPG

(not my picture, one from Google)

The Spirit class are my favorite also. I love the layout and the way you can walk through all the decks without any dead spaces that you have to go over or under to get around.

Roz

LSEA,

I've done 7 cruises on HAL, 3 on Carnival. Prefer HAL, but you can't beat Carnival for what you get for the price. A great value in my book. Your experience with food and service on Carnival mirrors mine.

Roz

Hi Roz,

I think I recognize your screen name from the HAL board. I never post a review on that board but since this is my first experience on a Carnival ship I thought I would give it a go over here. Of course I will be back on HAL at first opportunity but I can now say the same about Carnival. And I really want to get back on Celebrity but the itineraries just aren't working for me right now.

Hi Roz,

I think I recognize your screen name from the HAL board. I never post a review on that board but since this is my first experience on a Carnival ship I thought I would give it a go over here. Of course I will be back on HAL at first opportunity but I can now say the same about Carnival. And I really want to get back on Celebrity but the itineraries just aren't working for me right now.

Thats how I ended up here too. I really love HAL but my home port is Long Beach (about 20 minute drive) so I thought I'd give the Fun ships a try. I will miss the promenade deck though,,I love doing 8-10 laps around the ship.

Thats how I ended up here too. I really love HAL but my home port is Long Beach (about 20 minute drive) so I thought I'd give the Fun ships a try. I will miss the promenade deck though,,I love doing 8-10 laps around the ship.

Oh yes, but so close to San Diego and the Oosterdam. I would love to do something on your coast but the long flight holds me back. We have sailed Alaska from Vancouver but that is a long haul for us so it isn't something we are going to do often.

It's good to read so many HAL fans also enjoy CCL..

I am going to give them a try because HAL took the Noordam out of NYC.. I love being able to drive to port.. The Spirit class seems to be very similar to the Vista class of HAL..

I think it is good to try different lines as long as you go with a open mind.. It would really take alot of bad for me to have a bad cruise..Love the sea days on a ship..

Bulldog

LSEA, yes that's me, I consider HAL to be my home board, but I read and post in others.

San Diego is my favorite port to sail out of. I've done the 7-day Oosterdam to the Mexican Riviera and the 12-day Carnival Spirt to Hawaii ( you actually sail out of Ensenada, but check-in at San Diego and board a bus). Fortunately, Nashville has non-stop service on SW to San Diego, so the travel time is actually shorter than closer ports that require plane changes.

Roz

Archived