"Naughty room" for 2 airplane bottles of rum!

sprockie

Would the cabin attendant do something about it if I had a firearm or an explosive in plain view? After all, it's not his job, right?

Rules are rules. Contraband is contraband. Why ignore one and not the other?

Your position is full of holes, and you're baling fast, but still sinking.

I'd rather have liquor smugglers than firearm/explosive smugglers on board. Someone suggling liquor is PROBABLY doing so for pleasure. Someone smuggling firearms/explosives is PROBABLY looking to harm others.

I don't agree with your analogy but you are entitled to your opinion.

I'd rather have liquor smugglers than firearm/explosive smugglers on board. Someone suggling liquor is PROBABLY doing so for pleasure. Someone smuggling firearms/explosives is PROBABLY looking to harm others.

But you are missing the context of the message that badlands replied to. g'ma said prohibited items are prohibited items, no matter what they are. According to her, alcohol is the same as dynamite, guns, or scissors.

That is why g'ma's arguement falls flat on its face. There is a HUGE difference in bringing alcohol on board and bringing plastic explosives.

Hey I was just pointing out the flaws in G'ma's thinking. She's the one who maintains "It makes no difference if it's cocaine, knives, surfboards, irons, weapons or alcohol......they are ALL prohibited."

If RCCL tends to ignore one of the items on the contraband list, why should I be expected to take the rule seriously? Clearly they do not.

"Well... because a rule is a rule."

It's a silly rule and it's not enforced, yet some of you question my integrity for not adhering to it? As if it even has any effect on you at all.

Chair hogging = rude to fellow pax

Improper dress in the MDR = inconsiderate to other diners

Loud, unruly children (or adults for that matter) = annoying to anyone around

Bringing a box of wine to my cabin = has no effect on you whatsoever

I don't know why I'm even in here debating this. I don't even drink. I just smuggle a box of wine for my wife.

G'ma - i do believe that you missed a few people, perhaps you should go back and make a few more posts. And it warms my heart to know that there are still people in this world that are perfect, i was giving up hope. Im sure you have never gone 5 mph over the speed limit, changed lanes without using your blinker, gone into the ten items or less lane when you have 11 items, etc, etc.

I was called down to the naughty room on my last Adventure cruise. I had Juice boxes in my suitcase for my dd(4.5). They had me open my suitcase and show them the juice boxes. They were very apologetic for calling me down and sent my luggage right up to my cabin.

Lisa

I'm sure RCI staff have heard every excuse under the sun when pax are called down about alcohol that has been smuggled.

For some people playing stupid comes naturally and they are probably much harder to catch because they are so believable.;)

Some people aren't playing. That is why they are so believable.

I wonder why RCI continues to irk so many passengers when it has so many huge ships and berths to fill?

Because they aren't having any serious trouble filling huge ships. Just saying, my cabin for Oasis in October has gone up by $900/person since I booked it last year. My cabin for Enchantment has gone up by $100/person since I booked it. That and hearing many other similar stories, tells me they aren't having any trouble filling ships.

I wonder why RCI continues to irk so many passengers when it has so many huge ships and berths to fill?

Our ship last week was full..... so not sure they are having trouble. When I look at prices for this year they are not slashed. Must be doing ok....

You are quite good at generalizing. My smuggled booze is consumed in my cabin. If I didn't have it, I wouldn't leave my room to get a drink or order from room service. How does that affect other cruisers? I await your witty response.

Somehow I think it won't answer the question but will moralize on whether or not I have integrity or ethics or some such blather.

As I said, there is no moralizing....just observation...

There are rulebreakers and those who attend to the rules. It's not a moral dilemma.

It matters not the reason why someone smuggles booze....it is about the person who feels quite comfortable excepting themselves from the rules they don't like and feeling quite entitled to do so.

We see it every day in almost every walk in life.

I'm always amazed....even at my age.....

:cool:

Because they aren't having any serious trouble filling huge ships. Just saying, my cabin for Oasis in October has gone up by $900/person since I booked it last year. My cabin for Enchantment has gone up by $100/person since I booked it. That and hearing many other similar stories, tells me they aren't having any trouble filling ships.

But it will be interesting to see if there don't end up being some price cuts before your cruise happens in October. It would make sense for pricing to be up now to see how well cabins sell. It doesn't mean that they are actually selling.

Would the cabin attendant do something about it if I had a firearm or an explosive in plain view? After all, it's not his job, right?

Yeah, like in Speed 2: Cruise Control, when Willem Dafoe has all those leeches and explosives in his stateroom...if his steward would have turned them in to the captain the Seabourn Legend would have never run aground on Antigua and the anchor would have never smashed that guy's Mercedes.

Thank goodness the steward didn't find those or else that would have made for a pretty boring movie.

But' date=' respectfully, still not the same. Your assertion is flawed. And you missed the op's point. [/color']

Not at all. It's about rules - who attends to them and who thinks they don't have to.

The same could be said to those who think they are entitled to bring irons - even though they are prohibited...with good reason. They believe they are so special that the rule about irons doesn't need to apply to them.....

Not at all. It's about rules - who attends to them and who thinks they don't have to.

The same could be said to those who think they are entitled to bring irons - even though they are prohibited...with good reason. They believe they are so special that the rule about irons doesn't need to apply to them.....

Have you ever exceeded the speed limit when driving your car?

..the movie 'Stripes' come to mind. I am one of those "rule-breakers". But I agree if I got caught, I wouldn't complain because i knew the rule going in. But the fact that I try doesn't mean I lose sleep over it;

...I jaywalk as well; I speed when I'm driving sometimes. If I get caught I pay the price and say shame on me; but I probably will do both again.

And those are LAWS, not just a corporate rule.

My point is, in my view; these are not MORAL dilemma's. It's a rule the cruiselines make to

encourage ship alcohol sales; it has nothing to do with safety issues.

..Now those who try to smuggle a weeks worth of beer and liquor in large separate luggage?

..LOL..well I always thought those folks are a little tacky and maybe "cheap"? But still not a moral issue in my view.

..Oh, and I always smuggle in smaller luggage that I carry through. These machines are less sensitive than the ones that do your checked luggage; and due to

thousands of folks going through; there is much less time to analyze every image.

But again, if I got caught, I would hand it over and apologize..no big deal.

It's a rule, not a law, and not a biblical commandment.

Mitch

So it's been 4 years since I was on the last cruise to Mexico from Long Beach. We had no problem bringing in 2 bottles of wine in the wine tubes in our luggage. Has it gotten a lot harder on security since 9/11? Is the Long Beach location harder on people. We'll be on the Mariner in March. I, too, just like a glass of wine while getting ready for the evening so I really wanted to bring at least 1 bottle with me. If they catch you, do you get it back at the end of the cruise?:confused:

So it's been 4 years since I was on the last cruise to Mexico from Long Beach. We had no problem bringing in 2 bottles of wine in the wine tubes in our luggage. Has it gotten a lot harder on security since 9/11? Is the Long Beach location harder on people. We'll be on the Mariner in March. I, too, just like a glass of wine while getting ready for the evening so I really wanted to bring at least 1 bottle with me. If they catch you, do you get it back at the end of the cruise?:confused:

Carnival and Royal Caribbean do not have the same rules.

Royal Caribbean has prohibited the bringing aboard of all alcohol only recently.

You can try to smuggle it, but if you are caught, please smile graciously, apologize, and take your suitcase to your cabin.

You can buy wine on board the ship, by the bottle and by the glass. You can arrange for the bottle(s) before you cruise, or on your cruise.

RC's policy is that if they take an unopened bottle from you, they will return it at the end of the cruise. If the alcohol has been removed from its original packaging and concealed in something else, they will not return it. Some people have reported not getting their bottle(s) back at the end of the cruise.

I guess I should clarify. We were in Visions of the Sea 4 years ago. Even then, alcohol was not allowed to be brought on. I learned from this great message board about bringing it on and we were fine. I'm just wondering if they've gotten a lot tighter now. I have to say I love this group....you all are full of great info!:)

Will they return your sword on the last night of the cruise?
Even though I assume this was tongue in cheek:cool:, I will answer:

No, they will not return the sword to you the last night, but there is a table of such contraband set up at the disembarkation pier luggage area where you can retrieve such items. The table is full of irons, knives, etc.

Thom

..the movie 'Stripes' come to mind. I am one of those "rule-breakers". But I agree if I got caught, I wouldn't complain because i knew the rule going in. But the fact that I try doesn't mean I lose sleep over it;

...I jaywalk as well; I ===

It's a rule, not a law, and not a biblical commandment.

Mitch

Really well said, Mitch. That would have been a great last entry. Ooops, I just wrote the last entry. until the next one.

Archived