"Naughty room" for 2 airplane bottles of rum!

sprockie

For all of those in a tizzy because the infraction was 2 mini bottles; at what point is it okay to call them to the naughty room? Would my 1/2 pt of George Dickel have been sufficient it really isn't much more than 2 mini bottles? Or should you be called for a full pint or more? If it is zero telerance for alcohol detected then that is the level to be enforced.

Sometimes it really is a black and white world.

While the price for drinks, photos, etc have continued to increase, the price for the cruise itself has decreased. So the question is, how much were you really paying for the "free" soft drink? (also known to the purists as the no additional charge soft drink)

Actually, it doesn't really matter. Prices have not decreased because we are now paying more for on board services, they have decreased because the cruise lines can't sell cruises for what they used to charge. There are far more ships and cabins than there were 30 years ago. Suupply and demand dictate today's cruise fares. If the cruise lines could they would be charging what they were 30 years ago for fares and charging present day prices for drinks, soda, etc.

Oh' date=' yes, you are correct. I saw that last Nov. Whew! That must be what the poster means. He should have clarified that instead of panicking me. [/color']

NO that was NOT how it was explained to me as I sat stunned listening to their Representative repeat herself over and over as I could not believe my ears. If that were the case what would be the benefit to stating you would want to have the wine in your stateroom and wouldn't you simply go to the dining room, have them open it and then take it to your stateroom?

Strangely enough I got the concept.:rolleyes:

Actually, it doesn't really matter. Prices have not decreased because we are now paying more for on board services, they have decreased because the cruise lines can't sell cruises for what they used to charge. There are far more ships and cabins than there were 30 years ago. Suupply and demand dictate today's cruise fares. If the cruise lines could they would be charging what they were 30 years ago for fares and charging present day prices for drinks, soda, etc.

Which is in our favor as it broadens our choices of cruise lines based on how they treat their customers.

The contract says no alcohol. She got caught violating the contract she agreed to. I think it is pretty funny that anyone could be against the actions that RCCL took. She violated the contract by packing two small bottles in her suitcase. She was not denied boarding, a stipulation that is clearly stated in the cruise contract. So she had to go to the naughty room. Whoopee! If she had not violated the contract, she would not have been called to claim her bag.

For those against the actions by RCCL, what is the cutoff when the contract clearly states no alcohol is to be brought onto the ship? Is it 4 bottles? 6? A case of beer? Where do you set the limit as to when someone should be called down when a person violates a contract they agreed to?

I smuggle liquor. I know I may get caught. My wife and I enjoy it in our cabin. I don’t smuggle to save money and I find it laughable to claim what I do somehow costs them. I do not smuggle to save money. I would be very happy to pay for the privilege of having some liquor in my room for consumption. I have never taken over 32 ounces of liquor. That is all we need to have a few drinks in our cabin. But RCCL thinks they are going to get more money out of us by denying any alcohol. They are wrong when it comes to us. I’m not going to leave my cabin as we prep for dinner or have a drink to wind down our day. We’re not going to order from room service either.

The contract says no alcohol. She got caught violating the contract she agreed to. I think it is pretty funny that anyone could be against the actions that RCCL took. She violated the contract by packing two small bottles in her suitcase. She was not denied boarding, a stipulation that is clearly stated in the cruise contract. So she had to go to the naughty room. Whoopee! If she had not violated the contract, she would not have been called to claim her bag.

For those against the actions by RCCL, what is the cutoff when the contract clearly states no alcohol is to be brought onto the ship? Is it 4 bottles? 6? A case of beer? Where do you set the limit as to when someone should be called down when a person violates a contract they agreed to?

I smuggle liquor. I know I may get caught. My wife and I enjoy it in our cabin. I don’t smuggle to save money and I find it laughable to claim what I do somehow costs them. I do not smuggle to save money. I would be very happy to pay for the privilege of having some liquor in my room for consumption. I have never taken over 32 ounces of liquor. That is all we need to have a few drinks in our cabin. But RCCL thinks they are going to get more money out of us by denying any alcohol. They are wrong when it comes to us. I’m not going to leave my cabin as we prep for dinner or have a drink to wind down our day. We’re not going to order from room service either.

Yes you should not smuggle. However, while she was brought to "the naughty" room for her 2 teeny bottles, we all know there were others celebrating what they brought on without detection. Personally I think they should have passed her by - absolutely silly to bust a person for 3oz of liquor. 3 OUNCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you should not smuggle. However, while she was brought to "the naughty" room for her 2 teeny bottles, we all know there were others celebrating what they brought on without detection. Personally I think they should have passed her by - absolutely silly to bust a person for 3oz of liquor. 3 OUNCES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do you draw the line as to who gets called down when the limit allowed is none?

Where do you draw the line as to who gets called down when the limit allowed is none?

I know that the analogy has been made a bunch but I guess it's similar to speeding. If I was pulled over going 56 in a 55 I would be really annoyed, even though the limit is 55. If I was pulled over going 85 I wouldn't be as annoyed at the officer. If I was pulled over going 56 and someone passed me going 85 I would be uber-annoyed.

3 ounces......could have blown up an airplane!! The airlines won't stop you for 3 ounces........even in your carry on.

But the rules of a cruise line are different.........and they are bound and determined to carry out the orders of their supervisiors.

However, if you have booked a suite.......they will get you trashed every night......if you want to........on the house!! Go figure!!:eek:;)

Rick

However, if you have booked a suite.......they will get you trashed every night......if you want to........on the house!! Go figure!!:eek:;)

Rick

Not to mention the C&A Party, the Platinum/Diamond Party, the Suite Guest party, (missed the Captain's reception:() in addition to the Concierge Lounge.

I barely had a bar bill on my last cruise!!!!!:D

I don't think anyone can say with certainty what caused the 76 year old in the original post to be called to the naughty room. For all I know it may have had nothing to do with mini-bottles; security could have spotted what they thought was an iron, a sword:D, or a large bottle which contained mouthwash but might have been full of liquor. Anyway, once the bag was opened and the mini-liquors came out, what do you expect the security guard to do? RCI's policy is no liquor, so it seems obvious that at this point they can't just say have fun, but rather have to confiscate it.

I firmly believe that the primary purpose of this RCI policy is to increase their liquor sales, and as such I do not see violation of this policy as a major moral issue. But I think that it is childish to whine and expect RCI to apologize for actually enforcing the policy that was clearly spelled out prior to boarding.

Since so many have used the speeding analogy, I feel that RCI is letting everyone caught off with a "warning" rather than "prosecution". Not only are they not throwing you off the boat as allowed by the contract you agreed to, they are even returning unopened bottles to you at the end of the cruise. Currently the only downside to smuggling is that the rest of us have to listen to the whining of [some of] those who get caught.

Thom

Which is in our favor as it broadens our choices of cruise lines based on how they treat their customers.

I competely agree with you. I was simply commenting on the economics of the situation not whether it is a good or bad thing.

It's totally ridiculous. I was the one who pretty well assured her she would never be caught - especially with that piddly amount, and she's hauled in over 4 oz of rum. So she hobbles down to the pursers desk (she was in a handicapped room having just had a knee replacement) and they ask her for the booze. Nice.

Who died and left sprockie in charge!? "I was the one who pretty well assured her she would never be caught - especially with that piddly amount...". You knew the rules and got Granny busted. You need to suck it up and take the blame. I too do not agree with RCCLs policy concerning bring alcohol aboard to enjoy in my stateroom. But.if I do choose to “smuggle” any alcohol aboard ( of any amount) that’s the inherent risk I take and if I were to get busted, I’m to blame not RCCL.

I think Granny should have explained " that?...yea that's my rhematis' medicine....look at my knee...." and demand her "medicine" back.:D If not threaten to sick Jethro on them. That would put the fear of God into them. Also Granny should look at other lines that have different policies.;)

I think we all agree smuggling booze on board is a violation of several U.N. resolutions, various international treaties, numerous Commandments, and is forbidden without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

But say, theoretically, of course, for research purposes only, one were to attempt smuggling booze on board.

Again, theoretically, assume, for the sake of argument, that your "stash" of "bootleg" "hooch" is detected by the eagle-eyed security team.

It does not appear theoretical that you'll be called to the principal's office to explain yourself.

What should be the proper etiquette under these circumstances? Is a formal apology the best response? Does one hang one's head in shame, sob softly, sniffle, and promise to never do it again? Are you entitled to have a lawyer present? Do you get to make a phone call? Is there a chance you'll end up below decks, making license plates for the ship?

:D

In all seriousness, I assume the best thing to do is be humble and say, "Okay, ya got me. I guess I'm busted" and resolve it with a simple apology? I can't see any point in arguing or getting upset. Just collect your (liquor-free) bag and head for the nearest bar. Does that sound about right?

-Dito

I think we all agree smuggling booze on board is a violation of several U.N. resolutions, various international treaties, numerous Commandments, and is forbidden without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

But say, theoretically, of course, for research purposes only, one were to attempt smuggling booze on board.

Again, theoretically, assume, for the sake of argument, that your "stash" of "bootleg" "hooch" is detected by the eagle-eyed security team.

It does not appear theoretical that you'll be called to the principal's office to explain yourself.

What should be the proper etiquette under these circumstances? Is a formal apology the best response? Does one hang one's head in shame, sob softly, sniffle, and promise to never do it again? Are you entitled to have a lawyer present? Do you get to make a phone call? Is there a chance you'll end up below decks, making license plates for the ship?

:D

In all seriousness, I assume the best thing to do is be humble and say, "Okay, ya got me. I guess I'm busted" and resolve it with a simple apology? I can't see any point in arguing or getting upset. Just collect your (liquor-free) bag and head for the nearest bar. Does that sound about right?

-Dito

Right on!

This stuff is routine on NCL. Only boxes and rum runners seem to get thru.

When Celebrity started allowing two bottles of wine with no corkage fee (for drinking in the cabin) I took them up on it, but two of us didn't even consume one of the bottles!

Personally, I don't want the inconvenience of interrupting my first afternoon/evening on the ship by possibly having to go to the naughty room, so I don't do it any more. When I did do it it was sort of like having liquor in a dorm room in college (which at my school was outlawed) just for the fun of it. I rarely drank the total contents of my vodka w/green food coloring in it in a mouthwash bottle!

Who died and left sprockie in charge!? "I was the one who pretty well assured her she would never be caught - especially with that piddly amount...". You knew the rules and got Granny busted. You need to suck it up and take the blame. I too do not agree with RCCLs policy concerning bring alcohol aboard to enjoy in my stateroom. But.if I do choose to “smuggle” any alcohol aboard ( of any amount) that’s the inherent risk I take and if I were to get busted, I’m to blame not RCCL.
Ah, but sprockie carries booze smuggling to a whole new level. She knows its against RCI policy, so she sets Granny up to smuggle it. Then rather than have either her or Granny [or both!] accept any responsibility she blames it all on RCI.

Remember this story the next time people whine about [any] Granny being searched at airport security. If spockie would use Granny to smuggle booze, I certainly think that the bad guys might use Granny to smuggle bombs.

Thom

I rarely drank the total contents of my vodka w/green food coloring in it in a mouthwash bottle!

Gah! A pale blue or green vodka tonic just sounds so unappetizing - it would look like pool water. And I can't imagine dumping green rum into my Coke. That just sounds gross.

At least I drink whiskey, which is kinda yellowish... like original nasty-flavored Listerine. But somebody might wonder why I have a tiny travel can of shaving cream but a 1-liter bottle of mouthwash. ("No really, it's chronic halitosis. You want me to breath on you? Didn't think so. Can I have my bottle now?")

Is the "naughty room" new? We went on a RCCL cruise during spring break last year and our suitcases were delivered to our cabin without our small bottles of booze. Nothing was said, it was just confiscated. If I have to be embarrassed to go get my suitcase it would make me less likely to try to sneak in anything.

How can this thread have gone on so long?

I merely posted to let people know about how strict RCI's alcohol screening is - in case they were not aware. Had I read a thread like this one before she booked, I guess I would not have advised her in that way. I am accepting blame for breaking the "rules" and I realize I should not have advised her to bring her own few drinks. I am not whining or complaining, just merely pointing out how ridiculous I feel the policy is.

I have never sailed RCI, and never will because of this. Same reason I will never sail NCL. I have cruised several times with HAL, and have never had a problem bringing on liquor I intend to consume in my room (in fact, HAL allows you to bring a case of wine if you wish - openly because it's not against the "rules").

If I was at a hotel for a week on holidays, do the hotel regulations state that I cannot bring any outside liquor to my room so that they may profit from me buying drinks at their bar? I think not.

So many insulting and berating posts. I thought this board was to share information and gain knowledge, not make judgements from a high horse.

How can this thread have gone on so long?

I merely posted to let people know about how strict RCI's alcohol screening is - in case they were not aware. Had I read a thread like this one before she booked, I guess I would not have advised her in that way. I am accepting blame for breaking the "rules" and I realize I should not have advised her to bring her own few drinks. I am not whining or complaining, just merely pointing out how ridiculous I feel the policy is.

I have never sailed RCI, and never will because of this. Same reason I will never sail NCL. I have cruised several times with HAL, and have never had a problem bringing on liquor I intend to consume in my room (in fact, HAL allows you to bring a case of wine if you wish - openly because it's not against the "rules").

If I was at a hotel for a week on holidays, do the hotel regulations state that I cannot bring any outside liquor to my room so that they may profit from me buying drinks at their bar? I think not.

So many insulting and berating posts. I thought this board was to share information and gain knowledge, not make judgements from a high horse.

Well, as you wrote, if you had known before she booked, you wouldn't have given her that advice. Gain knowledge. That's what we're all about. :)

Ah, but sprockie carries booze smuggling to a whole new level. She knows its against RCI policy, so she sets Granny up to smuggle it. Then rather than have either her or Granny [or both!] accept any responsibility she blames it all on RCI.

Remember this story the next time people whine about [any] Granny being searched at airport security. If spockie would use Granny to smuggle booze, I certainly think that the bad guys might use Granny to smuggle bombs.

Thom

in her underpants, especially since Granny now relies on Depends. Lots of room for explosives.

Archived