Shrimp Cocktail

Granite Lady

My husband asked me to post this: How big is the Shrimp Cocktail on NCL?

We just got back from a Carnival Cruise & when he got his Shrimp Cocktail he looked at me & said " this looks like bait". We are hoping the food will be better on the Epic.

It still looks like bait, but bait for BIG fish! :D

That is one of my favorite suite perks on NCL, the Shrimp Coctails in Cagney's!

No matter what else I order at Cagney's (either lunch or dinner) I always have the Shrimp Cocktail! (okay....I admit it...once I ordered it at breakfast!)

The ones I had in the Garden Buffet were not as big as Cagneys, but I buy bags of medium shrimp at Aldi for shrimp salad and a Yin Yang shrimp salad (we loved it at Bubba Gumps, so I figured it out and made it :D) and they were comparable to them. I consider them a nice size....certainly not tiny baby shrimp.

It still looks like bait, but bait for BIG fish! :D

That is one of my favorite suite perks on NCL, the Shrimp Coctails in Cagney's!

No matter what else I order at Cagney's (either lunch or dinner) I always have the Shrimp Cocktail! (okay....I admit it...once I ordered it at breakfast!)

That will make him very happy!

We just got back from a Carnival Cruise & when he got his Shrimp Cocktail he looked at me & said " this looks like bait". We are hoping the food will be better on the Epic.

Granite Lady,

My most recent NCL cruise was last May on the Spirit. Before that, I sailed the Dawn one year ago. OP is correct..If you go to Cagneys, one of the surcharge restaurants ($25.00PP) the shrimp cocktail has big shrimp.

In the main dining room on the Spirit and Dawn, the shrimp cocktail consisted of the tiniest shrimp I have ever seen resting on a bed of iceberg lettuce.

When we cruise NCL, DH and I always budget to eat in Cagneys and LeBistro

at least four nights out of seven

When I was on the Pearl the MDR did have the shrimp cocktail with the little bay shrimp I think they called it. I have had the bigger shrimp cocktail when I have cruised other lines and really look forward to it. Can you ask for the bigger shrimp in the MDR? Or can you only get it at Cagney's?

MDR, yes, they are small baby shrimp but these shrimp have as much if not more flavor than the big, fat guys. Mbisson is right. And yes, if you eat in the speicailty dining rooms the shrimps are the overweight fat guys.

Nita

British perspective coming up.

In the UK a shrimp is always small. That is because it is a shrimp and shrimps are baby prawns.

If I ordered a shrimp cocktail I would expect to get shrimps less than 1 inch long. Prawns are bigger and depend on the species. A tiger prawn would be about 3 inches and over here costs £££'s.

Do you have prawns? Or do you just call everything shrimp?

Last year on the Pearl, the shrimp cocktails in the buffet had the larger shrimp. They had a server there making them up, so sometimes you had to wait. One time, the server put out 8 cocktails and the lady in front of me took all 8!! The server just shrugged her shoulders and made one for me.

The MDR cocktails were the bay shrimp size (itty bitty), but flavorful, if a bit salty. As far as having lettuce in the shrimp cocktail, I remember as a child (60 years ago), that it was common to have a bed of chopped lettuce and celery at the bottom of the cup, so I was not taken aback by the lettuce. Mix up the cocktail sauce with the lettuce and enjoy afte the shrimp are gone.

In the UK a shrimp is always small. That is because it is a shrimp and shrimps are baby prawns.

If I ordered a shrimp cocktail I would expect to get shrimps less than 1 inch long. Prawns are bigger and depend on the species. A tiger prawn would be about 3 inches and over here costs £££'s.

In my experience in the U.S., most people call them all "shrimp". Those who live in areas where there is active shrimp fishing are a little more definitive and use the term "prawn" for the larger varieties. We can buy tiger prawns in our stores and they are typically labelled as such.

Just off the Spirit 1/3. In the MDR on the menu every night they are called Baby Shrimp Cocktail and they were extremely tiny (if an inch long I'd be surprised) and piled on lettuce in a serving dish. Could easily call them bait. As someone said can always order more than 1 appetizer.

Just off the Spirit 1/3. In the MDR on the menu every night they are called Baby Shrimp Cocktail and they were extremely tiny (if an inch long I'd be surprised) and piled on lettuce in a serving dish. Could easily call them bait. As someone said can always order more than 1 appetizer.

I happen to like the cocktail you are talking about, the sause is awesome, but to me, it really isn't a shrimp cocktail it is more a small salad. I am glad you have pointed this out, many are disappointed because they expect a regular shrimp cocktail.

Nita

First NCL cruise on Pearl over New Years. Shrimp coctail in MDR were very small salad shrimp, but not awful. Upstairs in the buffet, they had larger shrimp cocktails on the two nights that we happended to walk thru. I expect they were available every night.

When I was on the Pearl the MDR did have the shrimp cocktail with the little bay shrimp I think they called it. I have had the bigger shrimp cocktail when I have cruised other lines and really look forward to it. Can you ask for the bigger shrimp in the MDR? Or can you only get it at Cagney's?

On this side of the pond, we pretty much call them shrimp.

The large ones tend to be called 'Jumbo Shrimp'. :)

When you're measuring shrimp, are you including the head? A one inch(with head)shrimp would hardly be worth bothering with. Unless you eat the heads, which I don't but have witnessed. A 3 inch shrimp tail is a touchy thing as it's very prone to over-cooking. and getting tough.

Truth be told, over here the only time they're called prawns is in a pretentious setting. Even then, they're more likely to be called 'Colossal Shrimp'.:eek:

Everything is shrimp in my area of the country. Shrimp used to be very expensive when we were kids so it was a big treat growing up.

Granite Lady,

My most recent NCL cruise was last May on the Spirit. Before that, I sailed the Dawn one year ago. OP is correct..If you go to Cagneys, one of the surcharge restaurants ($25.00PP) the shrimp cocktail has big shrimp.

In the main dining room on the Spirit and Dawn, the shrimp cocktail consisted of the tiniest shrimp I have ever seen resting on a bed of iceberg lettuce.

When we cruise NCL, DH and I always budget to eat in Cagneys and LeBistro

at least four nights out of seven

We had not been on a cruise in 10 years since this Dec....things changed.

I am going to take your advice. Our teenagers ditched us the whole trip anyway. laughing.gif My husband & I will enjoy the upgraded dinners & they can eat at the buffett

On this side of the pond, we pretty much call them shrimp.

The large ones tend to be called 'Jumbo Shrimp'. :)

When you're measuring shrimp, are you including the head? A one inch(with head)shrimp would hardly be worth bothering with. Unless you eat the heads, which I don't but have witnessed. A 3 inch shrimp tail is a touchy thing as it's very prone to over-cooking. and getting tough.

Truth be told, over here the only time they're called prawns is in a pretentious setting. Even then, they're more likely to be called 'Colossal Shrimp'.:eek:

I thought as much that shrimp was a sort of generic term. The measurements I gave are cooked and peeled, no heads included!

I think I get it now. What I call a shrimp is also a shrimp in the US but what I call a prawn is a shrimp in the US too.

Shrimps and prawns are quite expensive over here, well fresh ones are. The frozen ones from Thailand and Indonesia are actually pretty cheap. Saw a programme on BBC last year about how these are farmed and processed so that we can buy them so cheaply. Ultimate in slave labour!

As others have noted what was called shrimp cocktail in the MDR was really what you would find at at fast food restaurant as shrimp salad or crab salad and not what I generally think of when I think of a shrimp cocktail.

I thought as much that shrimp was a sort of generic term. The measurements I gave are cooked and peeled, no heads included!

I think I get it now. What I call a shrimp is also a shrimp in the US but what I call a prawn is a shrimp in the US too.

Shrimps and prawns are quite expensive over here, well fresh ones are. The frozen ones from Thailand and Indonesia are actually pretty cheap. Saw a programme on BBC last year about how these are farmed and processed so that we can buy them so cheaply. Ultimate in slave labour!

My Husband & I went to a lecture given by Wayne Dyer last year. He is a wonderful man.

Yes, the shrimp served in Cagneys are exactly what you would call Prawns.

I cannot comment on those served in the MDR.

Archived