HAL Maasdam vs. NCL Dawn -- help, please!

jimbug

My husband and I are looking to go on our first cruise together since our Alaskan honeymoon 6 years ago (all my other cruises have been girls-only trips). :) Anyway, we were originally looking at this itinerary:

NCL Dawn 9-night

Samana, Antigua, Tortola, Barbados, St. Kitts

But then, I saw the following HAL itinerary:

HAL Maasdam 10-night

Nassau, San Juan, St. Barts, Antigua, St. Thomas, Half Moon Cay

So, now I need help big-time. I've been on HAL before (Zuiderdam), and LOVED it. Loved the intimate service, the smaller crowds (and I realize Maasdam will be even smaller), the food (esp. Pinnacle Grill), and of course, Half Moon Cay. It's a pretty easy sell, if it were just me or the girls....Maasdam all the way. An extra night, plus visiting St. Barts? Sweet.

However...the husband is the perfect customer for NCL. He hates dressing up, having to go to dinner at a set time, etc. (Although I think I might have seen where Maasdam has open seating now??)

But, in HAL's favor, we would probably not take advantage of all the "extras" a mega-ship like NCL has. We're there for a romantic getaway, and would probably frequent the spa and would enjoy the culinary arts center. We don't care for the flashy entertainment, and don't really hit up the night clubs. So, HAL is fine for us. (We're only 28 years old, by the way.)

Can someone help me make a decision? :)

Maasdam is a little more expensive, but I also like that we wouldn't have to pay for all the extra dining (except for 1 night in Pinnacle Grill), and the fact that it wouldn't be *crowded* is an awesome idea to both of us.

Any suggestions, comments, input, etc.? Thanks!

What kind of cabin are you signing up for? We loved the Maasdam and the verandah cabins. Not sure anyone can beat the larger Maasdam cabins or their beds, storage space and decor for the same price. This could tip it one way or the other. I don't know what the other ship's cabins are like.

Larger ships have larger impacts on their port stop and may have more problems unloading larger numbers of passengers which could make a difference too.

I just love the layout of the Maasdam and would sail with her anywhere. And the recent good news is they are not going to ruin her with some major "upgrading" in dry dock so enjoy her while you can before they turn her into one more boring sea going mass people package.

Thanks for the input. We are probably looking at just a standard outside cabin. As much as I'd love to get one of the verandah suites, I am sacrificing cabin space for a longer cruise. Hubby is fine with an inside, so the room isn't very important to him.

I really like the idea of an intimate, small ship experience. I also like that Maasdam has a piano bar, which I absolutely adored on my 2 Carnival cruises. (Yes, I realize that HAL's piano bar experience is probably a bit more sedate, but it's okay.)

1 Extra day at sea is always better! We spent 14 nights on the NCL Dawn Repo from NYC to Miami and had a wonderful cruise. We didn't take any type of "dress up" clothes. Very nice and relaxing cruise with lots of R&R. We didn't eat at any of the upcharge restaurants. The MDR was fine with us, and the food at Blue Lagoon was great for snacks and a change of pace.

We also spent 30 nights on HAL Ryndam to Hawaii & Tahiti. It was with the dress up (6 nights) and was smaller ship. We enjoyed this trip more, even though it cost more, over twice as long too. The intimate surroundings on the ship is nice.

If DH doesn't care to dress up, you can always to to the buffet those nights. HAL does tend to be lots more on the formal side than NCL. It is very hard to compare the 2 cruises, since they are different types of experiences. Write down the pros and cons of each cruise, and compare them. Go with the one with the most pros for you, and be sure you can cruise with the cons.

Hope this helps you out some.

There will be three formal nights on a 10-day cruise. Your husband will only need to wear a jacket w/tie over a collared shirt, with Dockers to meet the code. Surely he can manage that for three nights. The other nights he would only need to be in a collared shirt with slacks. Even clean, neat, pressed jeans would meet that code.

And as another poster said, there's always the Lido, or for that matter room service, if he can't meet those standards.

Are you kidding to compare NCL with HAL? There is no question...I would do HAL! On NCL you will get nickeled and dimed to death and I just wonder when they stard charging for the air you breath. Food on NCL is many categories lower then on HAL and basically you need to go for the pay up Restaurants to get something eatable. Service is so much better on HAL as well and not to forgett the bigger rooms, more storeage and comfi beds and sheets! Also the Maasdam is half the size then the Dawn and is easy to navigate! Just do not do NCL!

Are you kidding to compare NCL with HAL? There is no question...I would do HAL! On NCL you will get nickeled and dimed to death and I just wonder when they stard charging for the air you breath. Food on NCL is many categories lower then on HAL and basically you need to go for the pay up Restaurants to get something eatable. Service is so much better on HAL as well and not to forgett the bigger rooms, more storeage and comfi beds and sheets! Also the Maasdam is half the size then the Dawn and is easy to navigate! Just do not do NCL!

Haha...okay, I realize comparing NCL to HAL is definitely apples to oranges...BUT...

They are both slightly longer (for me) cruises with comparable itineraries. I kind of give the edge to NCL Dawn on the itinerary, to be honest (Barbados and Tortola REALLY interest me...). However, St. Thomas and Half Moon Cay are two of my favorite places on the planet. So, it's kind of a toss-up, I guess, itinerary-wise.

I agree that HAL's food will likely be a cut above, even as compared to NCL's upcharge restaurants. I can probably get DH to dress up for 2 formal nights, and perhaps on the 3rd, we'll go to Pinnacle or the buffet.

Truth be told, I think I'm sold on the Maasdam cruise. Just have to convince DH...although I think letting him know that we don't have to host Thanksgiving this year may just be the icing on the cake. :) (The Maasdam cruise leaves the day after Thanksgiving...woohoo!)

100% agree with you.

Having sailed on the ship twice, most recently in November, I would say the choice is obvious. Get on that DAM ship as often as you can afford to. The crew is wonderful. Say hello to Captain Boogie in the Piano Bar who has his lead sheets on a tablet PC. On several nights he has theme nights such as 70's and 80s tunes. Take a late fixed seating in the upstairs MDR and be lucky enough to have Ketut and Ariyanna as your table strewards. Sit by the pool and listen to Rachel and the HALCats play and sing tropical tunes, especially at the aft pool during sail aways. If she starts a Conga line, get on it and enjoy yourself. And of course, when you are tired and done for the day, go back to your cabin and find out what kind of towel animal is waiting for you. I hope you choose the Maasdam and I wish I could be with you and your DH to enjoy it.

Maasdam it is. :)

I couldn't be more excited. Now I just need to update my signature below.

Thanks, everyone for your input. All the positive info about Maasdam reaffirmed my decision to want to switch. I realize I'm going to get a pro-Maasdam view on the HAL board, but I also know if she was an aging and dilapidated ship not worth sailing on, SOMEONE would pipe up and tell me. Right? ;)

I can probably get DH to dress up for 2 formal nights, and perhaps on the 3rd, we'll go to Pinnacle or the buffet.

The Pinncale follows the dress code for the ship, and most people pull out all the stops when they dine there.

If your husband does not want to dress for the third formal night the Lido (or room service) is the alternative.

I just wanted to give a little update. Talked to the hubby tonight....presented him both cruises (Dawn and Maasdam), gave him pros and cons of each, tried to be very unbiased either way. He looked at me and said, "Why in the world would I want to pay to eat in all those extra restaurants on Norwegian? And I don't care about the bowling alley and all that flashy stuff. Easy choice."

Ohhh yeah, Maasdam it is, officially! :D

I just wanted to give a little update. Talked to the hubby tonight....presented him both cruises (Dawn and Maasdam), gave him pros and cons of each, tried to be very unbiased either way. He looked at me and said, "Why in the world would I want to pay to eat in all those extra restaurants on Norwegian? And I don't care about the bowling alley and all that flashy stuff. Easy choice."

We had such a good time on the Maasdam. Our favorite. Someday hope to get back on for the Voyage of the Vikings. That would be a dream trip. There was a NCL Jade I believe in port with us and it just towered over everything and disgorged what looked like thousands and thousands of dazed tourists.

Plus it had all that glitzy paint on it bragging about their "Freestyle cruising' and the silliest little balconies I think I have ever seen. We were so glad we were on the Maasdam, but I bet those on NCL looked at us as totally unhip and fusty. Being a normal ship and all.

I have learned to love our bold, blue hull and how we sneak into harbors among all those behemoths and quietly go about our business. May the HAL small ship tradition continue.

Ha ha!!! You worried over nothing. Good choice. For the 3rd formal night you could always do a room service and have a romantic dinner in your room?!!! (tell him that way he doesn't have to get dressed at all)!!:eek:

Make sure you let us all know how he liked the cruise when you get back. Have a wonderful time.:)

Archived