LAFFNVEGAS'S First LIVE From a Princess Ship The Crown

LAFFNVEGAS

Thanks for your review Lisa, and I loved your excitement. You are right that the spa on most of Princess ships is very similar to the Crown. I don't really care for the layout of the spas, feels like I have to walk thru a lot of open (public) areas in my robe to get a massage - like when they do it in the Sanctuary.

We just spent 17 nigths on Princess and really enjoyed the food. Now sure there were a few items that were not up to what we like, but somehow those extra 6 pounds came from somewhere. :p

I love the International Cafe, and Vines for wine flights. I hate the Horizon Court for monings, but getting food and heading to the aft near the Cafe Caribe where we normally found a table easily.

thanks again

happy sailings

I will be on the Crown in March (thankfully-warmth :)!!) and I will report back on my observations about the meat. We cruise Princess once or twice a year, usually with two or three more couples, and have overall been pleased with the food quality, and especially the quality of beef at the Crown Grill.

As for trying Princess again well from what I have read all the Spas Thermal Suites are about the same so until they turn them into something better than going down to a dungeon and unless someone can guarantee me the meats are a much better quality I doubt I will be running back to try Princess any time soon.

I agree with the OP,,,,,,u really should have brought it to the attention of someone in the Crown Grill. I would never eat at an expensive restaurant and leave unhappy (having paid good $) because my meat was of poor quality :(

Sorry u had many disappointments. We have cruised HAL and found the lines very comparable, but as mentioned in previous posts - different in a few aspects. We would cruise either one of them again gladly.

Anxiously awaiting our Crown Princess cruise in April !

Happy Cruising.........

DonnaF :D

As for trying Princess again well from what I have read all the Spas Thermal Suites are about the same so until they turn them into something better than going down to a dungeon and unless someone can guarantee me the meats are a much better quality I doubt I will be running back to try Princess any time soon.

Didn't know how to put one paragraph as a quote from Lisa - trying again, bear with me :p

Trying to learn more and more about this site. Thanx for your patience !

Happy Cruising....

DonnaF :D

I know that writing a "Live From" thread is a hugh under taking. It takes time from your cruise as well as $ from your pocket ! Thank you for doing both of those ! I read you posts daily and waited eagerly for your final report. I think you're right, cruise lines can be compared to shoes. I also think that you should stick with your HAL shoe, but I shall stay with the Princess slipper !

Hi All,

Why do folk say one cruise line is better than another, they should be if

they charge different prices. What I am looking for is good value for my

money, if I pay $50 a day for a cruise, I do not expect the same service

quality as $200 a day. That said I would like to hear from folks on board

the Crown are they happy with the service for the money paid.

yours Shogun

I really had no intention of posting to this thread, but since we just got off the Crown yesterday felt I needed to comment on the Grill. Four of us ate there, three had the beef; all different. They all loved it; perfectly cooked and tender. I had lobster so can't comment first hand. But when three out of three are satisfied, bashing the Crown Grill brings question marks to my mind. :confused:

BTW, I wear my black card on a lanyard during the day, but would never think of having it hang there when dressed for dinner at night.

Hi All,

Why do folk say one cruise line is better than another, they should be if

they charge different prices. What I am looking for is good value for my

money, if I pay $50 a day for a cruise, I do not expect the same service

quality as $200 a day. That said I would like to hear from folks on board

the Crown are they happy with the service for the money paid.

yours Shogun

I'm with you, on this. We were in a mini suite for the ridiculous price of about $110 p/p/, per day. Our pre cruise hotel ran us almost $200 and did not include food or entertainment or transport anywhere.

My best guess is that the average booking for the most common cabin type probably ran closer to $75 p/p, per night. I tend to use my own best guess of the average base booking as a guide for the experience.

I was delighted with the service and entertainment, regarless of price point, and had the best cabin steward, ever. The lido and outdoor pool areas were maintained exceptionally well, despite that at least 1000 people were eating something, at all times.

Never did get the feeling of sailing with too many people. There is too much going on all over the ship for too many to be in one place at a time.

We all have different points of focus when we cruise. Lisa loves spa time and was disappointed. Tom likes his beef and was disappointed. I am an ants in the pants kind of cruiser and like pools, a lot of activities and entertainment options. I was not disappointed. I am not a foodie and to tell you the truth, have issues with most meat on cruises and so I tend to avoid it other than hamburgers and a shot at specialty dining. I do not expect a 3 star dining experience from a cruise ship when the average cabin is selling for what most cabins do. And yet, every cruise, every cruise line, manages to surprise with something that could easily compete, with the best on land.

Thanks for your report. I've sailed Princess cruises in the past and they are good but I must say HAL is, for the most part, superior. After your description of Roatan am looking forward to my first time visit to this port in April.

Thanks for your report. I've sailed Princess cruises in the past and they are good but I must say HAL is, for the most part, superior. After your description of Roatan am looking forward to my first time visit to this port in April.

Since I haven't sailed HAL and perhaps down the road I will, could you please tell me why you think HAL is "superior"...just curious:confused:

Even though I pay the single supplement, for the most part, I still think a cruise is the best bargain going. For the price I pay I could not travel to Florida or California, rent a car, have a change of scenery, and dine at a restaurant 3 meals a day for what a cruise cost. All I care is for the food to be well prepared, I do not expect the best of the best.

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients." Julia Child

I too was not going to post, but I have to say, I was very impressed with the 'live from the Crown' that I have followed this thread with interest at the comments made. I am a 'Princess' cruiser and will be taking my first ever cruise with HAL in April. As was already mentioned, different people cruise for different reasons, itinerary, food, company, entertainment etc. I will try to do a 'live from Noordam' in April using Lisa's findings as my base.

Thanks for an amazing journey! :)

Oh, and I read somewhere here on CC, that one of the Princess ships now has a kiosk where you can slide your cruise card and get a printout of your bill... I hope that gets pushed out fleet-wide! :)

Sapphire Princess is the first to get one of those kiosks! I'll be sure to check it daily! ;)

It's so interesting, how tastes can vary....we too are cruising on all the different lines to find the one that fits best.....

I love HAL, my DH not so much and for the very reason that Lisa loves them. My DH really doesn't like the food on HAL. He felt that every dish he tried was dry/undercooked/bland or cold when it should have been hot and vice/versa!

He really disliked the desserts and thought the pizza was the worst.

He's a true "foodie".....he's also a gourmet cook. He likes the food on Princess best [he doesn't eat meat so he's not a good judge of the steaks that Lisa's hubby hated.] He thinks that the soups/desserts/fish/chicken and pasta's are excellent on Princess! He goes for the pizza everytime there's a little bit of room in his stomach.

He drinks the coffee and prefers the Horizon Court to the Lido.

Such a subjective subject. I want to cruise on HAL again because I love the art/decor/beds/entertainment and staff. We'll see, if I can convince him.

Lisa, thank you for sharing your trip and pictures.

Lisa

I've really enjoyed your thread! Thanks for doing it! I did a Live thread a few weeks ago and it was time consuming. I respect your opinion on your experience even though mine was different.

We ate at the Crown Grill and although I don't eat red meat, I really enjoyed the lobster and the shrimp. My son had the Porterhouse and he loved it. The people at the table next to us were enjoying their 3rd dinner in the Crown that week! I'm sorry yours was bad. I agree with the others who said you should have complained.

I wear my black card on a lanyard and it gets a lot of comments from crew and passengers. I don't flaunt it and I've never tried to "get" anything other than what we are entitled to.

Since I haven't sailed HAL and perhaps down the road I will, could you please tell me why you think HAL is "superior"...just curious:confused:

Hope I don't come across as a snob but in my opinion these are some things that make HAL superior:

1. A service staff (Indonesian and Phillipino)that always seems to have your best interest at heart and who genuinely enjoy serving you to the extent that they even remember your name.

2.Larger cabins

3.Little extras like the Yum Yum man ..a gent who hands out post dinner treats.

4. The freedom to bring as much wine and beer aboard as you can haul up the gangplank.

5. Very few passengers who can't handle their liquor..at least not in public rooms.

6. Outstanding cuisine.

7. A variety of lounge music from string ensembles to rock.

7. An overall elegance and style

While everyone is entitled to their opinion - I must say my first HAL cruise was not "superior" to any others I have taken. The cabin & beds are wonderful but no one ever called me by name - we found the food so-so - service was extremely slow most times.... Well let me stop here and just say, we always enjoy our cruises but our Princess cruises we enjoy the most!;)

It's been a few years since I cruised HAL, but the Yum-Yum man was in a uniform with a small round hat and handed out mints on the way out of the dining room. I seem to remember that in the morning he went around the dining room with the pastry tray.

While I respect the person above's opinion, most of us on the Princess boards probably prefer Princess, myself included. In reality I find most of the mass market lines very similar to each other and would not agree that one has "superior food" over the other.

While I respect the person above's opinion, most of us on the Princess boards probably prefer Princess, myself included. In reality I find most of the mass market lines very similar to each other and would not agree that one has "superior food" over the other.

I agree...and I've sailed on HAL a lot.

Archived