Who has the better tasting food?

bek1235

I've never cruised before, and was wondering which has the better tasting food, RCCL or Carnival?

Doesn't it depend on what YOU like? You might like your food prepared differently than someone else. Doesn't make one better than the other. It's so subjective, the answers will be 50/50 I'm sure.

Altho...that being said, I see that in travel publications, authors are starting to compliment the changes (for the better) in Carnival's food lately. Most will say the two lines are pretty close to the same. And remember, if something isn't to your liking just return it and order something else!;)

I've never cruised before, and was wondering which has the better tasting food, RCCL or Carnival?

Who makes the better looking car, BMW or Jaguar?

Who makes the better tasting wine, France or Italy?

Who has the best weather, Malaysia or Indonesia?

Who has the better tasting cola, Coke or Pepsi?

All just a bit hopeless, don't you think?

I'm a bit unimpressed with cruise ship food overall, it doesn't seem to make much difference to me what line we're on.

It's all like wedding banquet food, pre-prepared and held until serving time. Sometimes you get something that tastes pretty good, most of the time it's a bit ho-hum.

Don't order poultry, it's gross.

But, I've never gone hungry on a cruise and I don't have to cook it, so that is a big positive!

I'm a bit unimpressed with cruise ship food overall, it doesn't seem to make much difference to me what line we're on.

It's all like wedding banquet food, pre-prepared and held until serving time. Sometimes you get something that tastes pretty good, most of the time it's a bit ho-hum.

But, I've never gone hungry on a cruise and I don't have to cook it, so that is a big positive!

I agree, but I understand that any kitchen serving thousands of meals at once is just not capable of producing what I consider to be really good food. I am happy with "good enough" food. I do like to see some variety on the buffets though,, not just potatoe salad and canned veggies..

There are always options, if you look hard enough. On Carnival Freedom, on the Lido deck, they had a prepare-to-order sandwich line. Hot and cold sandwiches - the vegetarian one I got was delicious! Carnival also has pizza. If you look at the options, and request one that is missing, they make it fresh, and you snag the first pieces. Or even a whole pizza. I think there is a fresh burger line, but that one was always quite lengthy at mealtimes. All of these are no-extra-cost.

I am a vegetarian, and the main dinner entrees were not always to my liking. However, a couple of appetizers, a salad, maybe soup, and the cheese plate they serve with dessert was a wonderful dinner.

I guess no one has tried the food on both lines. Hopefully, someone can give you a straight opinion.

Been on NCL and CCL. While I thought the food was fine on NCL, it was much better on CCL. But, that doesn't answer your question either, I'm afraid.

When we were on the Conquest (Carnival) 5 years ago, the food was amazing, but then it was our first cruise and the whole thing was amazing! It was also amazing how they could serve so many people at one time and still have it turn out ok. I do have to mention that the buffet food after a few days seemed to taste the same but there were so many choices--The dining room food what can I say--again Amazing! there wasn't ANYTHING that I tried that I didn't like! We were impressed each and every night! here we're used to eating at places like Golden Corral, Texas Roadhouse, and other inexpensive chains--so we were absolutely BLOWN away by the food! I also liked the omlet bar that they had at the buffet in the mornings. never really ate at the dining room although we could have. On RCCL the following year, we took our kids with us on a 4 day cruise. In some respects the food might have been a little better, however i was dissappointed that there was no pizza (unless you wanted to pay for it) or burger bar, no ice cream bar (unless you wanted to pay for it) I wasn't as impressed with the buffet choices --although the dining room food again exceeded our expectations (both cruises) I even got to try escargot that I never would try in a million years--it was INCREDIBLE! (that was on RCCL) don't know if Carnival has it or not or any other lines. I'm looking forward to what princess has to offer.

Don't choose a cruise based on what anonymous posters on a message board say about which has the best tasting food!

Sheesh. The food is good on both. It isn't gourmet, but it's good. You'll find plenty to eat that will make you happy.

And, yes, BEST is just totally and entirely subjective and it's pointless to ask these "which is best" questions.

Don't choose a cruise based on what anonymous posters on a message board say about which has the best tasting food!

Sheesh. The food is good on both. It isn't gourmet, but it's good. You'll find plenty to eat that will make you happy.

And, yes, BEST is just totally and entirely subjective and it's pointless to ask these "which is best" questions.

Gosh!, That was SO helpful!

Thanks for contributing!

I thought it was gourmet food at least in the dining room! it was more gourmet than i was used to anyway!!

We have only sailed RCCL once back in 2005, so this is of course just our opinion but we like CCL better.

Our personal food preferences: (so far:))

1 HAL

2 CCL

3 RCCL

4 NCL

I say of the lines I have cruised-

1-HAL

2-Celebrity

3-Princess

4-Carnival

5, 6- and 7 tie- Disney NCL and RCI.

I also say HAL is WAY ahead of the other lines. Their food is much better. I only gain weight on HAL! not enough temptation on the other lines! However, I must admit Disney, RCI, and NCL (in that sequence) have the better specialty restaurants- but-it seems they only give you great food IF you book the specialty. I think it is their way of getting extra money out of you.

I guess no one has tried the food on both lines. Hopefully, someone can give you a straight opinion.

Been on NCL and CCL. While I thought the food was fine on NCL, it was much better on CCL. But, that doesn't answer your question either, I'm afraid.

Yes, I have been on both lines. As well as Celebrity, Cunard, Disney, NCL and a couple of others. I still say that cruise ship food is not something to get real excited about, no matter the line. That is my own personal straight answer.

The only thing that may answer the OP's question is to try both lines to see if they can tell any difference. I do have to say that the food on NCL was worse than any other.

Edit to add, the food is not our number one priority when booking a cruise. We love to be on the ocean, we choose for itinerary much of the time...that is far more important than the food served.

After umpteen cruises, I really can't say which is better. To be honest, I don't remember what is on each cruise line's menu. To me, that says it is all the same. I have never had a bad meal on a cruise (well, once on NCL...but that was corrected by reordering another dish). CCL, RCI, whatever. The MDR food is all the same. It's all good.

I totaly agree with this. There is no way that you can feed a 1000 people at a time and have great food. But you do get a nice table settings and servers that know what they are doing for the most part. So in the end you get a nice meal and great service. This really bugs me about the dining room the lighting WHY is it so Bright I just don't get it.:(

I totaly agree with this. There is no way that you can feed a 1000 people at a time and have great food. But you do get a nice table settings and servers that know what they are doing for the most part. So in the end you get a nice meal and great service. This really bugs me about the dining room the lighting WHY is it so Bright I just don't get it.:(

I agree-when the ships were smaller, the food was much better. I firmly believe the smaller the ship the better the food. even Pricness, I have been on 2 ships, one had 3000 PAX, one 600 PAX, the 600 PAX had top notch food, the 3000, okay, decent, but not great.

But I also am pretty sure, the lines are not using the better ingredients as they did in the past because of the cheaper fares. I have a friend that is a chef. She says, it just does not "work" to substitute margarine for butter, milk or half and half, for heavy cream, an inexpensive mushroom for a truffle, an inexpensive wine for a cognac, etc.

Sure you can. If you spend enough money on food and talent, it's not a problem. But frankly, when I consider what NCL and CCL charged me for fare, I can't believe how good the food was. I was expecting Alpo at those prices.

A little background if I may. I've sailed the Carnival Victory in 2001 and the food was excellent, the Legend of the Seas in 2008 and the food was excellent, The Freedom of the Seas in Feb 2009 the food was excellet and Carnival Pride in Dec 2009 and the food was excellent.

All that being said; we, DW, DS and I thought the food service on RCCL was better than CCL. We did not have a hot meal in the MDR the entire week we were on Pride. Some if that was not the waiters fault as we had to contend with inconsiderant passengers who would show up 30 to 45 minutes late for dinner EVERY night. So, it's what you make it. We did enjoy the variety of food in the buffet of RCCL over CCL as well as the layout of the Windjammer.

Please remember, this is all my personal opinion.

Sure you can. If you spend enough money on food and talent, it's not a problem. But frankly, when I consider what NCL and CCL charged me for fare, I can't believe how good the food was. I was expecting Alpo at those prices.

LOL! Too funny and so true! Our mini suite on the NCL Pearl Thanksgiving 2008-which was considerably bigger than our HAL balcony rooms, was $750 for my husband and I, and $499 for our daughter. The only room we have had that was nicer, was on Disney Wonder. At that price, on a holiday week, with that great of a room, we did not mind forking out for the specialty restaurants.

Archived