Athens - Help! I'm a little confused

Cathy Maneri

I'm so confused on what tour to go with. I've been pouring through books and this site and I'm still confused. Here's what I would like to do:

Arriving port of Piraeus in May at approximately 7am. We have a party of 6 adults. We mostly want to see the Acropolis and some of the surrounding areas. We would like to visit Plaka as well before heading back to the ship.

We don't want to take a taxi or train from the ship to Athens.

Need to know if we do the "on your own" ship tour which takes you into Athens and drops you off at Syntagama Square, how do you get up to the Acropolis?

If we do a private ship tour with example Athens by taxi, does he drive you close to the Acropolis, wait for you, then take us to Plaka last?

Could someone explain the best way to tour Athens. I know there's a lot of walking and steps, but is most of the waling only after you arrive by the Acropolis and getting to the other sites. Can you walk from the Acropolis to Plaka?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I'm so confused on what tour to go with. I've been pouring through books and this site and I'm still confused. Here's what I would like to do:

Arriving port of Piraeus in May at approximately 7am. We have a party of 6 adults. We mostly want to see the Acropolis and some of the surrounding areas. We would like to visit Plaka as well before heading back to the ship.

We don't want to take a taxi or train from the ship to Athens.

Need to know if we do the "on your own" ship tour which takes you into Athens and drops you off at Syntagama Square, how do you get up to the Acropolis?

If we do a private ship tour with example Athens by taxi, does he drive you close to the Acropolis, wait for you, then take us to Plaka last?

Could someone explain the best way to tour Athens. I know there's a lot of walking and steps, but is most of the waling only after you arrive by the Acropolis and getting to the other sites. Can you walk from the Acropolis to Plaka?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Relax, Cathy, and narrow your focus in order to best enjoy Athens. It's a super big city of about 4 million people plus, but your two top priorities are the Acropolis Hill and the Plaka. They are right next to each other. I would avoid the ship tour that drops you at Syntagama Square. That location is at some distance from the Acropolis. Your ship might arrive at 7 am, but that doesn't mean everyone gets off of the ship at 7:01 am.

Why don't you want to avoid taking a taxi or train from the port? There are private taxi's you can schedule in advance which are more reliable. Tell us more. How long do you have on this port stop? What are your other interest, options being considered for Athens? The Plaka has lots to see and do after you do the climb to the top of the Acropolis earlier in the am before it gets too hot or crowded. Having a private guide will be a real plus when you do that visit. We had a super personal guide for that visit and it help us better understand what is there, why and how. Check some of the other postings on this board for other tips and ideas. Below are some visual samples for what you can see and enjoy there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Examing relics with our guide near the Parthenon:

AropWithGuide.jpg

From Acropolis Hill, a view towards the old Olympic Statium in Athens, other Roman ruins:

AthOlymStadium.jpg

Parthenon Museum historic art and other items:

AcrpMuseum.jpg

From the Parthenon, a view of Athens and another temple:

AcrHillView3.jpg

Outdoor dining in the Plaka. Lots of music and fun, plus good food:

PlakaDining.jpg

Enjoying a bright, sunny day in front of the famed Parthenon:

ParthenonPosing.jpg

Hi Wondering if 3 days before our cruise is too much time in Athens? we were there once before and saw many of the important sites, but we only had a day....suggestions welcome and hotel..probably near the Plaka. Need to get from Airport to hotel and from hotel to port...we will be traveling in Oct. Thanks...Saatchi

Two suggestions for Athens. First, and best, book a private visit with Paul or Nick of greektaxi.com. They will pick you up in a private van and be at your beck and call with good advice and expertise, answer all your questions and take you wherever you want to go. It will be simple and easy and you will be well taken care of.

Second suggestion -- Take the ship's "on your own." From Syntagma Square it is only one Metro stop to the Akropolis station. Begin at the Temple of Zeus and walk the Antiquities Promenade beginning to end, seeing all the principal antiquities of Athens as well as the Acropolis and the Acropolis museum. End up at the Thissio METRO station from which you can reach the Plaka or Monastrariki (sp?) square easily. Check our report and pictures at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html.

Third suggestion -- walk quite a distance from the ship to the METRO, take it to Akropoli station and then as above.

Hi Wondering if 3 days before our cruise is too much time in Athens? we were there once before and saw many of the important sites, but we only had a day....suggestions welcome and hotel..probably near the Plaka. Need to get from Airport to hotel and from hotel to port...we will be traveling in Oct. Thanks...Saatchi

PS...Loved your pictures

THANKS, Saatchi from Chicago, for the nice comments on the pictures! On whether three days before your cruise is too much, I can tell you our experiences there during our visit. We had three days, but in planning for our 2006 trip, we were quick to figure out that a day or two allows enough time to see the Acropolis Hill, Plaka, National Museum, etc. That's why we did a full-day tour with a private driver/car of the to Peloponnese area, including seeing Corinth, Mycene, Navplion, the famed outdoor theater with perfect sound, etc.

We stayed at AVA Hotel on Lyssikratous Street in the Plaka at the foot of the Acropolis near Hadrian's Arch. Athens is a large, large city, but most of the "good stuff" is more narrowly located in only a few areas. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I second the greektaxi idea. Keep in mind they are taxi drivers, not really licensed guides. Our driver did get us our ticket at Hadrian's Arch and it was good for I think 5 of the major sights (including the Acropolis).

It was great not to have to hassel with the local traffic, he knew where we wanted to go (from emails) had the day planned for us. Knowing the route, times, etc. He would park close to the attraction and wait for us to return.

Took us to a small family owned restaurant (that he & his family go to) outside the main downtown area, and joined us for lunch. He did the ordering and we had a fabulous lunch (gyros, pork, chicken & lamb, fries, salad, and wine) for approx. $8 pp.

We had gone to our roll call to share a tour, because there was only two of us, you won't have that problem with already having 6 adults. There were 4 of us, and our day was 55 EUR pp. They usually charge one set price per vehicle/tour, then you can divide up that cost between the 6 of you.

Have a great trip!

We booked a private tour for 4 of us last May. We were picked up at the pier and dropped off at the Acropolis. We called the driver on his cell when we had finished exploring. Then he took us to other sights in a very well thought out plan. I emailed the company and they knew what we were interested in. I am sure all of the tour companies would do the same, but we booked through Paul's. We were dropped off in Plaka at the end and had planned on taking the metro back. We negotiated with the driver and he came back to the Plaka for us after 2 hours. It was more pricey than other cities for a private tour, but this was an excellent way to see a lot of the city in a short time.

Thanks for in info....TLCOhio....will look into hotel and how did you arrange your day tour? Sounds like good things to do and see....we are not going to October but love planning ahead and looking forward to it....saatchi

Relax, Cathy, and narrow your focus in order to best enjoy Athens. It's a super big city of about 4 million people plus, but your two top priorities are the Acropolis Hill and the Plaka. They are right next to each other. I would avoid the ship tour that drops you at Syntagama Square. That location is at some distance from the Acropolis. Your ship might arrive at 7 am, but that doesn't mean everyone gets off of the ship at 7:01 am.

ParthenonPosing.jpg

Great Pictures :D

Saatchi, I echo the idea of concentrating your visit to a relatively small area in Athens, but would encourage you to see the countryside such as TLCOhio suggested. We did four days in and around Athens after a cruise on Serenity last Fall and we could probably have done 2-3 and felt fine, but there still is plenty to see outside of Athens.

Our tour guide was Dennis Kokkotos (his dad is the famous "George the Taxi Driver"). Google him and you'll find him easily. He is well educated, personable and a good driver. His rates were reasonable and he took us to places before the tourists arrived which we much appreciated.

We loved the Plaka district and stayed at the Electra Palace (we would not bother with hotels on large streets, such as Marriott and Intercontinental as they are located well away from the Plaka and many historical sites; the Bretagne, one of two recommended by Crystal Cruises, is okay but why spend all that money?). Plenty of good restaurants and tavernas and a bustling, walkable area of shops in the Plaka, and the Electra Palace was just fine. Fun!

See you onboard the Transpacific!

Chuck-

Thanks everyone for your input.

I've booked with Nikos with Private Greece Tours for a 1/2 day tour of exactly what we want to see.

I'm getting my feet wet with my first time in Europe and appreciate all your time and knowledge.

Happy cruising to all!

Second suggestion -- Take the ship's "on your own." From Syntagma Square it is only one Metro stop to the Akropolis station. Begin at the Temple of Zeus and walk the Antiquities Promenade beginning to end, seeing all the principal antiquities of Athens as well as the Acropolis and the Acropolis museum. End up at the Thissio METRO station from which you can reach the Plaka or Monastrariki (sp?) square easily. Check our report and pictures at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/athens.html.

Third suggestion -- walk quite a distance from the ship to the METRO, take it to Akropoli station and then as above.

Hi MercedMike,

A few questions to ask you please: Are you saying that once we docked at the port, then walk to the Metro (assuming it is a subway and cost?) for one station to Akropolis stn. How far is the walking and which direction once we exit the port, then all sightseeing will be there as everything is within walking distance? After that, do we take the same Metro back to the cruise?

We are very new to Athens and have no clue what to do for the day, my dh & I and 2 teenagers. We don't want to spend big money on excursions if we can do our own.

BTW, is there a Metro map of Athens available?

Many thanks.

Carrie

Hi MercedMike,

A few questions to ask you please: Are you saying that once we docked at the port, then walk to the Metro (assuming it is a subway and cost?) for one station to Akropolis stn. How far is the walking and which direction once we exit the port, then all sightseeing will be there as everything is within walking distance? After that, do we take the same Metro back to the cruise?

We are very new to Athens and have no clue what to do for the day, my dh & I and 2 teenagers. We don't want to spend big money on excursions if we can do our own.

Many thanks.

Carrie

I'm not Mike, but if you have a look at the link, you'll see my detailed plans for my DIY day in Athens in June with my teen son. It's not difficult. The key is to get a good map and do your research in advance.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22449730&postcount=2

Hi MercedMike,

Many thanks. Carrie

Cynthia and Mike have offered excellent advice. It seems confusing, but it can all come together fairly well as you do more reading and research. Things are "simple" in Athens as the two top attractions are right next door to each other. Lots easier than in many other cities.

This site gives a good map of their Metro system:

http://www.athensguide.com/metromap.html

I second the greektaxi idea. Keep in mind they are taxi drivers, not really licensed guides. Our driver did get us our ticket at Hadrian's Arch and it was good for I think 5 of the major sights (including the Acropolis).

It was great not to have to hassel with the local traffic, he knew where we wanted to go (from emails) had the day planned for us. Knowing the route, times, etc. He would park close to the attraction and wait for us to return.

Took us to a small family owned restaurant (that he & his family go to) outside the main downtown area, and joined us for lunch. He did the ordering and we had a fabulous lunch (gyros, pork, chicken & lamb, fries, salad, and wine) for approx. $8 pp.

We had gone to our roll call to share a tour, because there was only two of us, you won't have that problem with already having 6 adults. There were 4 of us, and our day was 55 EUR pp. They usually charge one set price per vehicle/tour, then you can divide up that cost between the 6 of you.

Have a great trip!

This sounds like great advice! Thanks

Hi MercedMike,

A few questions to ask you please: Are you saying that once we docked at the port, then walk to the Metro (assuming it is a subway and cost?) for one station to Akropolis stn.... then all sightseeing will be there as everything is within walking distance?

Not ALL sightseeing ... there are many many things to see in Athens. But the Antiquities Promenade that starts by the Akropoli station covers most of the major antiquities and is close to the Plaka which is famous for food and shopping. With a good plan and a good Metro map you can get to other things too.

We did NOT walk to the Metro from the dock so others can probably give you good advice on that. I know it has been covered often on this board.

We will also be in Athens in October and we decided on 4 full days.

Yes, we realize one can see the main attractions in 2 days but this allows us to take it very easy...important to us since my husband tires easily.

We are also going to a full day tour outside of Athens.

And when day 4 rolls around, if we feel we've seen and done enough, we'll take the new rail out to the beach and relax there for the day.

Kathy...did you send your request for this tour by email or fax to Nikos? Did you provide your cc number and 3 digit number from the back of card as well. I'm looking at booking with Nikos as he has been exceptionally helpful with organizing our tour...just nervous about giving out my cc info.

We will also be in Athens in October and we decided on 4 full days.

Yes, we realize one can see the main attractions in 2 days but this allows us to take it very easy...important to us since my husband tires easily.

We are also going to a full day tour outside of Athens.

And when day 4 rolls around, if we feel we've seen and done enough, we'll take the new rail out to the beach and relax there for the day.

Sounds like you've got a great plan and approach. That first day arriving Athens will be a little limited given the long air flight from NYC, the time zone changes, etc. Just sitting around in the Plaka is a super wonderful way to "pass the time" and doing all of the people watching, hearing the music, smelling the food, etc.

Kathy...did you send your request for this tour by email or fax to Nikos? Did you provide your cc number and 3 digit number from the back of card as well. I'm looking at booking with Nikos as he has been exceptionally helpful with organizing our tour...just nervous about giving out my cc info.

I would recomend www.greektaxi.gr/ we used this tour last March and it was awesome. Paul speaks fluent english and was great took us all over from the Acropolis to the Museum to the Plaka and we were always ahead of the cruise ship excursions. Larry

I would recomend www.greektaxi.gr/ we used this tour last March and it was awesome. Paul speaks fluent english and was great took us all over from the Acropolis to the Museum to the Plaka and we were always ahead of the cruise ship excursions. Larry

I wouldn't imagine that would pose any problem logistically as the Plaka is adjacent to the Acropolis and the Museum is just a couple of subway stops (or a short cab ride) away. :D

Archived