Formal Night Dress

MamaPuggle

There is nothing in the Princess guidelines that says a tie is required or necessary.

This is a direct lift from Princess. Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual - Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal - When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

So Formal is formal and smart casual is smart casual. People are going to do what they want. Go for it!! Why do we waste so much time trying to rationalize what you or someone else should or would wear.

What is unnerving is that you read the rules and try to comply. So you bring suits and the proper attire and then you see the bozos who think rules don't apply to them. On every cruise I have been on I have seen people who just disregard the rules. They are never enforced. Never. So there you are in your formal attire and here comes the classless slob in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops and nothing is ever said or enforced. Look, I am not a snob and only wear suits and tuxes at Weddings, Funerals and Formal nights. I just wish the cruise lines would either do away with formal nights completely or strictly adhere to the rules. It is not fair to the people that lug that extra baggage with them for formal nights then see that the rules are not enforced. Some restaurants on land have dress codes. You know that they will not let you in. For some reason some people just think that the rules don't apply to them. Is it that hard to dress up for 2 out of 7 or 10 nights? The ladies look lovely and it is very romantic. Doesn't your lady deserve to be treated to an elegant affair? Then there are the people who like to bring their kids in the "Adult Only" pool when there are 3 other pools on the ship. Just plain disrespectful. Especially when they fake like they don't understand english to justify it. Don't get me started...LOL

Is a tie for men really necessary for formal night? Would a collared sweater under a sport coat suffice?

Maybe I am interpretting your description wrongly, being from a different continent, but I would say what you describe is not "formal".

It certainly does not actually mention tie in the description of formal and I have seen men in formal type shirts that do not need a tie but I think a sweater is a long way from formal.

This is only my opinion of course.

What contitnent you are from doesn't matter. Formal is formal. Now to different cultures what formal dress is, does vary. I have no problem if what you are wearing for your culture is formal for you. It makes for a cultural experience to see what classy people look like from around the world. What is a problem is that the cruise lines lay down these "rules" then don't enforce them. Either do away with formal nights completely or strictly adhere to the rules. I'm tired of seeing bozos in t-shirts, jeans, and flip flops in the dining room on formal nights on EVERY cruise. It's just rude and disrespectful.

What is unnerving is that you read the rules and try to comply. So you bring suits and the proper attire and then you see the bozos who think rules don't apply to them. On every cruise I have been on I have seen people who just disregard the rules. They are never enforced. Never. So there you are in your formal attire and here comes the classless slob in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops and nothing is ever said or enforced. Look, I am not a snob and only wear suits and tuxes at Weddings, Funerals and Formal nights. I just wish the cruise lines would either do away with formal nights completely or strictly adhere to the rules. It is not fair to the people that lug that extra baggage with them for formal nights then see that the rules are not enforced. Some restaurants on land have dress codes. You know that they will not let you in. For some reason some people just think that the rules don't apply to them. Is it that hard to dress up for 2 out of 7 or 10 nights? The ladies look lovely and it is very romantic. Doesn't your lady deserve to be treated to an elegant affair? Then there are the people who like to bring their kids in the "Adult Only" pool when there are 3 other pools on the ship. Just plain disrespectful. Especially when they fake like they don't understand english to justify it. Don't get me started...LOL

It sounds as though your cruises have been mostly on Carnival because on Princess ships people do not wear shorts, T shirts & flip flops on formal evening in the DR or casual evenings for that matter.

... Either do away with formal nights completely or strictly adhere to the rules. I'm tired of seeing bozos in t-shirts, jeans, and flip flops in the dining room on formal nights on EVERY cruise. It's just rude and disrespectful.

It would seem that your answer to the problem is let the slobs win and cancel formal night. We disagree. The evening is designated formal and those that insist on crashing the affair should not diminish our enjoyment. They are what they are and as long as we understand that we should be able to take from the evening the fun and enjoyment that the ship had intended for us.

Cancelling it is not my "answer". The answer is enforce the rules or don't have the rules. You can't bring booze on board, they enforce that. You can't smoke in the dining rooms, they enforce that. They enforce a whole littany of rules but for some reason "dress code" doesn't seem to matter.

Wrong! Have seen it on EVERY Princess cruise (4 times). Even seen it on HAL! They just don't enforce it. You just have been lucky enough not to witness.

We've been on many, many Princess cruise ships and never has there been a head waiter that allowed someone dressed the way you portray on formal evenings. They may have been dressed somewhat less that formal but never in shorts, T shirts & sandals. Your imagination must have been running wild because of the lack of strict enforcement.

Cancelling it is not my "answer". The answer is enforce the rules or don't have the rules. You can't bring booze on board, they enforce that. You can't smoke in the dining rooms, they enforce that. They enforce a whole littany of rules but for some reason "dress code" doesn't seem to matter.

Smoking in the DR affects all people around you immediate vicinity as far a comfort & health reasons. My dress affects no one but myself. There's a big difference between the two.

Is a tie for men really necessary for formal night? Would a collared sweater under a sport coat suffice?

You would surely be welcome at my table in that attire. I've got better things to do than judge you by what you wear.

Wow, what a first post MamaPuggle. Sure came a long way from tie or no tie. If you dont feel under dressed with other table mates wearing gowns or a tux no big deal. Just bring one incase you get invited to dine with the Captian. Dont ask me how I know.

Ties on men are not required and in fact not even mentioned in the suggested clothing. Everyone ASSUMES it mean ties. A collared sweater will work fine. It is perfectly permissible to wear a suit and not tie and some do it.

The actual requirement for men is pants (not jeans), a dress shirt and shoes (not shower shoes). I have read accounts on cc where a short sleeved shirt was not acceptable and others where it was. You will see men dressed in anything from a tux to pants with open collared shirt. I think next time I am going to wear my kilt.

Ties on men are not required and in fact not even mentioned in the suggested clothing. Everyone ASSUMES it mean ties. A collared sweater will work fine. It is perfectly permissible to wear a suit and not tie and some do it.

The actual requirement for men is pants (not jeans), a dress shirt and shoes (not shower shoes). I have read accounts on cc where a short sleeved shirt was not acceptable and others where it was. You will see men dressed in anything from a tux to pants with open collared shirt. I think next time I am going to wear my kilt.

As long as you don`t wear your kilt with a sweater, collared or otherwise, you will be suitably attired.:p

It seems simple to me. Princess states in the brochure and website what is required for the dining room on formal night. There are plenty of alternative eating places onboard if you do not want to dress up.

I wonder why Princess even addresses Formal wear? Apparently there is no such thing as Formal since many people consider Smart Casual acceptable for Formal nights.

Maybe we all need to identify what Formal means.

This is a direct lift from Princess. Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual - Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal - When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

So Formal is formal and smart casual is smart casual. People are going to do what they want. Go for it!! Why do we waste so much time trying to rationalize what you or someone else should or would wear.

On Crown Princess recently I did see a gentleman pulled up at the restaurant door for wearing shorts on a smart casual evening. At least someone was doing their job.

On the other hand, on the Crown last month (same staff, I'm assuming) I saw a man in shorts make it past the assistant headwaiter on a casual night. When I asked (not grouchily, I hope) about it, the ass't. headwaiter - who started to pursue the guy, then turned back - said "Well, they know what the rules are. It's in the Patter."

I later discussed this with the (very nice) headwaiter, whose response was basically, "Well, I wish people would follow the rules, but..."

Given the vulnerability of staff to the complaints of miffed pax, I can understand the reluctance. On the other hand, I later saw the headwaiter go over to a table where all the men were in T-shirts and jeans (one pair "tattered"), and a couple of days latrer, all those men showed up on formal night properly dressed. Whether there was cause and effect, I know not.

I was on the 12/12 cruise. You?

I really like it when people come to formal night dressed in attire that does not conform to the requirements. It lets me know at a glance who is a self-absorbed illiterate of low intellect. That way I can be sure to avoid any contact and not have my evening ruined by inane conversations with boors trying to justify the behavior of their ill-mannered children. Said children having been left unsupervised in the cabin of strangers to throw forks off the balcony while mom and dad in their flip-flops and t-shirts attend formal night wondering aloud "wha's with all the fancy-schmancy dress'n up folks and how come Cap'n wants to done kick us all of'n his big boat??"

If you have to ask if it's 'necessary' to wear a certain item of clothing deemed applicable to 'formal attire' you are best partaking in a different event for the evening. Trust me - no one will miss you.

I really like it when people come to formal night dressed in attire that does not conform to the requirements. It lets me know at a glance who is a self-absorbed illiterate of low intellect. That way I can be sure to avoid any contact and not have my evening ruined by inane conversations with boors trying to justify the behavior of their ill-mannered children.

I don't think it's possible for someone to make more of an idiot of themselves than you've managed in your first day posting here. Really, you're superficial and judgemental enough to believe that someone showing up in the MDR in dress slacks and a dress shirt is "illiterate and a low intellect", "boors", or even parents? You can flame away with your inane stereotypes, however you obviously have some serious deficiencies accepting differing opinions and characteristics. While other people consistently defend the true definition of the formal night requirements, at least they're capable of doing it in a civilized manner unlike you. Clothing tells you nothing about a person, actions (and stereotyping like you've done) provide all details necessary.

Archived