cruise tour

calas

hi has anybody done the the cruise tour on radiance of the seas and then the wilderness express we are looking for some guidance on what happens with your luggage once you get on the land tour and looking for the easiest way to manage your luggage

Hi. We did this in June 2007. They recommend that you pack so that

you only have one suitcase per person. Luggage works much like the

ship in that you put luggage out at night or morning and some one picks

it up and moves it the bus. They will provide you with all of that info

when you start your cruise tour. It was very efficient. You have a guide

and a bus driver who stay with you during the land tour. The bus driver

does not go on the train with you.

I am not sure of all of the details. Perhaps someone who had done this

recently will remember.

If you have not booked your cruise yet, I would recommend doing the

land tour first then the cruise. The land tour is intensive and you travel

every day. You can relax on the ship.

Have a great time.

hi has anybody done the the cruise tour on radiance of the seas and then the wilderness express we are looking for some guidance on what happens with your luggage once you get on the land tour and looking for the easiest way to manage your luggage

Just as Luvscruising2007 said. Works very efficiently. You live out of your suitcase for the week. After the first night we packed all of our clothes for the cruise in one suitcase and that stayed on the bus. The last night of the land part we got the suitcase back. It was then send to the ship the next morning.

I do find that information for the cruise/tour is lacking. I did tons of research and couldn't find that much info for RCI.

We did the land part first and wouldn't change that.

Check out the Alaska forum as it has a wealth of information.

I loved Alaska and plan on going back soon. The scenery was spectacular.

Enjoy

Denise

I know the land tours are very popular... the one we're on has been sold out online for quite a while.... also agree that the boards are the best source of information where this is concerned... there's nothing on the website that explains the luggage process at all.

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing the landtour first. We are bringing a suitcase each and a carryon each. I don't quite understand what we are to do with luggage, while on land tour. Maybe somebody could explain it to me with more detail. I'm a little slow. ha.ha.

Wonder if those of you who have done the cruisetour can explain the difference between the one that takes you on a motorcoach thru Denali and the one that takes you on train? We booked a 10 or 11 night with the land part first (I think the date is Aug 31 for it to start) and just realized we won't be on the train. We're disappointed as that high dome is part of our reason for booking the cruisetour.

Can you anyone tell us more?

It appears most of you would benefit from more information, as there seem to be a lot of unknowns.

It is not "always" best to book the cruisetour first, and cruise last. MORE important is to go for as long as you can afford. Avoiding shorter cruise tours, is a significant enhancement. What most people do not realize, is the time in transit and where stuff is. RCI, has Seward, which is an excellent touring location. Loaded with plenty to see and do. FEW cruisetours allow it, unfortunately.

Some factors to keep in mind- There is nothing special about the train Anchorage/Denali Park, this just about parallels the Parks Highway. The greatly superior train to consider is Seward/Anchorage. BUT cruise contracted trains are poorly timed, and cost about 30% more.

Denali Park- this is the highlight of cruisetours- understand everything about it fully. Most people do not. You do not "train" into Denali Park, you "train" to Denali Park, or bus to Denali Park. From the point of being at Denali Park- you HAVE to get INTO Denali Park- for the scenery and wildlife. The Park Road is 90 miles, into Denali Park. NEVER get a cruisetour with the Natural History Tour- bottom line, unless you don't care, and know about the differences in tours. This "tour" goes 16 miles, on the public road. NOT even getting "into" the park, so, you are missing out on all the scenery, and wildlife.

The Tundra Wilderness tour is the only choice to make, IF the scenery and wildlife is what you want to see. It is always better to have 2 nights at Denali Park, it's loaded with activities.

Budget 50% more for meals than you would at home.

You want a Denali Park visit- AT the earliest, end of May. So in this case, a northbound cruise is definately superior. Same with Sept. It is far better to have the crusie first in this timeframe, as Inside Passage, weather and daylight, drop off significantly, where interior Alaska, remains good touring.

Wonder if those of you who have done the cruisetour can explain the difference between the one that takes you on a motorcoach thru Denali and the one that takes you on train? We booked a 10 or 11 night with the land part first (I think the date is Aug 31 for it to start) and just realized we won't be on the train. We're disappointed as that high dome is part of our reason for booking the cruisetour.

If you are "disappointed" then why aren't you changing this?? You are months outside of going.

Sorry, but if you are referring to 10/11 nights total, this likely is a poor choice and not what you think it may be. Many times, most of the time is in transit, with little time at destinations.

We did the Alaska cruisetour in 2007 and you keep one suitcase for the tour - 4 days I think - and your other luggage is stored and you will see it again outside your door on the ship. The tour was great and the accomodations were wonderful!

If you are "disappointed" then why aren't you changing this?? You are months outside of going.

Sorry, but if you are referring to 10/11 nights total, this likely is a poor choice and not what you think it may be. Many times, most of the time is in transit, with little time at destinations.

We just realized the error? Changing to what? That's what I asked!

Are you saying 3 night land and 7 night cruise is not long enough?

If you have read many of BudgetQueen's invaluable and informative posts offering advice on Alaska cruises and cruisetours, you would recognize that she does not feel a 3 or 4 night cruisetour is sufficient to provide you with a good taste of interior Alaska. As she has stated on numerous occasions on such brief cruisetours you end up spending more time in transit going from one point to the next than you spend in the locations that you actually want to visit and experience.:)

Hi,

I've had a quick look at the Radiance itineraries. There is a choice of cruisetour leaving on the 31st August for 10 days. Have you looked at the other options which DO include the train and change the booking over?

Change to something else?? :) Sorry, but, it is RARE, if ever, to have anything worthwhile with a cruise tour with this short timeframe.

As I note above- cruisetour descriptions all sound good on paper. Problem is, unfortunately this doesn't match up with the reality.

Yes, some people will have a good time on anything. BUT, they clearly may be missing significantly. With the costs of these trips, and the time and effort getting there. I am an advocate of informed choices.

IF three days is all you have, then strongly consider not taking the cruisetour. You would get a LOT more out of interior Alaska, if you stayed in Seward a couple days. Plenty to see and do, with Kenai Fjords boat tours a top tour choice. Loaded with varied wildlife and close up glacier view. Far superior to anything seen from your cruiseship. There is Exit Glacier, Alaska Sealife Center, Seavey's Sled dogs, etc to consider. THEN take the train to Anchorage. This segment is the most scenic of the Alaska RR, BY FAR. Last day, tour Anchorage- if an option, a car rental can offer you a great touring day. Otherwise there is plenty to see and do in Anchorage. http://www.anchorage.net

Denali Park, needs three days on it's own, and better with more. 2 transit days, and at least a full day to get into the park. Going independent, offers the 1/3 priced shuttle buses, going farther. ALWAYS- farther equals more.

Hi,

I've had a quick look at the Radiance itineraries. There is a choice of cruisetour leaving on the 31st August for 10 days. Have you looked at the other options which DO include the train and change the booking over?

Thank you! We've done some further research also an it appears we need to do a 12 day to get the train vs. bus which gives us an extra 2 days in Denali + the 1 particular tour which Budget Queen recomended. Now we have to figure out if we want to spend $400 each for the extra 2 days or just make this a "first trip - look/see" with the idea of coming back again later.

Have emailed the TA for more info and downloaded the Alaska book from RCCL's website. Will make a change to include the train since that is what we thought we were booking.

Appreciate your input and time to look it up!

Change to something else?? :) Sorry, but, it is RARE, if ever, to have anything worthwhile with a cruise tour with this short timeframe.

As I note above- cruisetour descriptions all sound good on paper. Problem is, unfortunately this doesn't match up with the reality.

Yes, some people will have a good time on anything. BUT, they clearly may be missing significantly. With the costs of these trips, and the time and effort getting there. I am an advocate of informed choices.

Denali Park, needs three days on it's own, and better with more. 2 transit days, and at least a full day to get into the park. Going independent, offers the 1/3 priced shuttle buses, going farther. ALWAYS- farther equals more.

Thank you for the input - much appreciated! Please remember though that you have been there many, many times. Maybe there is nothing wrong with an inexpensive "first look" as an overview. Then plan a return trip for more in depth discoveries? We've been to many of the ports on our cruises multiple times and enjoy going back with a little knowledge of the area and a better idea of what we want to do and see.

Going independently is not a choice for us on a first time visit to Alaska, but thank you for the suggestions.

Archived