Do Singles Get Double Credit?

Purrfect

Hi All,

I have decided to try Carnival after RCL pissed me off this morning (a very rude call center agent).

I was wondering if single passengers get double credit for their trips? I booked category 1A.

Also, how do 1As look? Mine has a twin and a pull out single couch. Can't find photos of that.

Any help would be appreciated.

No double crdit. But you do only pay one set of port charges.

I hate the 1A's they are the worst cabins on the ship. Did that one and not even when I travel solo I book a balcony. If I am going to vacation I refuse to be miserable in the cabin.

Hi All,

I have decided to try Carnival after RCL pissed me off this morning (a very rude call center agent).

I was wondering if single passengers get double credit for their trips? I booked category 1A.

Also, how do 1As look? Mine has a twin and a pull out single couch. Can't find photos of that.

there was a "recent" John Heald Blog on this subject; try searching for it? ken

Hi All,

What ship, they all look very different. Im guessing perhaps a conquest class ship, since you mentioned the couch. No pull out couchs. They are the same size as a twin bed, and the pillows on the back of the sofa come off (the cabin steward just put them on the floor at night) and you sleep on it. Doesnt pull out. I think you heard convertible sofa, and assumed it pulled out?

I have some links to pictures but it would help to know what ship.

PS I think only RCL has any cabins and lengths they give double and triple credit to pax for booking. RCL has max of 3 credits is probably why you ask.

Carnival, everyone gets 1 credit mo matter what they book or how long the cruise is.

Hi All,

If you're talking OBC for ES Price drops - there was a recent John Heald Blog with a response from Carnival Management that solo cruisers paying 200% supplement are intended to also get double OBC (the situation for those paying 150% supplement wasn't specifically addressed). Having said that, I'm not sure thathat there are many/large price drops on CAT 1A's? ken

Anyone have a link for this? I looked over at his blog, but my searches did not seem to bring up the topic.

I copied the below excerpt, but cleverly didn't copy the link:

Kathy Asked:

Hi John, Please, Please Reply.

I have been wondering about something and I think that you will be the only person who can give me the correct answer. When a person cruises solo as I do, why is it when the Early Saver Program only gives us the OBC for one person when we in fact are paying the same price as two people. I feel that is discrimination against solo cruisers. Why can’t we get the same credit as if there were two people in that cabin instead of one. I just don’t feel this is fair to solo cruisers. Maybe you could ask one of the men with the beards what the reasoning is behind this.

John Says:

Hello Kathy,

This is a good question and so I asked one of our VP’s for the correct answer and I am happy to say she told me that if a single guest books they should get the OBC based on double occupancy since he paid two cruise rates. So, I will have someone contact you next week and we will adjust accordingly and if anyone else has a problem with this please let me know.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Best wishes,

John

If you're talking OBC for ES Price drops - there was a recent John Heald Blog with a response from Carnival Management that solo cruisers paying 200% supplement are intended to also get double OBC (the situation for those paying 150% supplement wasn't specifically addressed). Having said that, I'm not sure thathat there are many/large price drops on CAT 1A's? ken

I know, since the OP is only paying 150% supplement, its doubtfull they could get 200% for price drops. Id think that doesnt apply to 1As myself. You cant get money back you didnt pay?

I know, since the OP is only paying 150% supplement, its doubtfull they could get 200% for price drops. Id think that doesnt apply to 1As myself. You cant get money back you didnt pay?

I'm thinking it might be proportionate??? ken

I copied the below excerpt, but cleverly didn't copy the link:

Kathy Asked:

Hi John, Please, Please Reply.

I have been wondering about something and I think that you will be the only person who can give me the correct answer. When a person cruises solo as I do, why is it when the Early Saver Program only gives us the OBC for one person when we in fact are paying the same price as two people. I feel that is discrimination against solo cruisers. Why can’t we get the same credit as if there were two people in that cabin instead of one. I just don’t feel this is fair to solo cruisers. Maybe you could ask one of the men with the beards what the reasoning is behind this.

John Says:

Hello Kathy,

This is a good question and so I asked one of our VP’s for the correct answer and I am happy to say she told me that if a single guest books they should get the OBC based on double occupancy since he paid two cruise rates. So, I will have someone contact you next week and we will adjust accordingly and if anyone else has a problem with this please let me know.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Best wishes,

John

So how do I get this adjusted? My mother in-law is solo paying for 2 and I would like her to get the full credit.

W

PS I think only RCL has any cabins and lengths they give double and triple credit to pax for booking. RCL has max of 3 credits is probably why you ask.

Carnival, everyone gets 1 credit mo matter what they book or how long the cruise is.

For passengers sailing solo but paying double, Princess gives double credit in its past passenger program. In other words, you receive credit for two cruises.

I just copied the John Heald entry into an email and sent it off to my travel agent. We are cruising late February and my son is in his own cabin. He already has $50 OBC from Carnival and I'd sure like to get him this doubled!

http://johnhealdsblog.com/2009/11/19/a-blog-on-the-metro/#comments

. Can you post and let us know how this goes? thanks, Ken

To get the additional OBC I would assume you would need to call Carnival, your PVP or TA. Keep going higher up the chain until you find someone who is aware of this blog/update as it may not have filtered down to all the PVP's yet.

By way of an update:

I forwarded the excerpt from the John Heald blog to my travel agent. She had one of her people call Carnival. According to the folks they talked to at Carnival, they had never heard of John Heald and said they could not give any additional OBC.

I tried putting the question on the Heald blog and also his Facebook messages. I don't know if I will hear anything!

If you are a solo' date=' you do NOT pay double port charges.......[/quote']

I am confused by your post. My TA breaks down all charges on our invoice. So, for example the basic cost of the cruise, taxes and fees. The amounts total the same as on the Carnival site, but the taxes and fees include port taxes and government fees.

My understanding is that now all the cruise lines make passengers pay the port taxes, as they include them in their total for the cruise, and if a person is a single, but paying double, he pays twice the port charges, but the government fees shown on the invoice from Carnival as fees, is not doubled.

I don't believe that only $56 or whatever small amount shown on the invoice as government taxes/fees includes the port taxes.

I am going to give an example. On Glory for October.

My sister and brother in law paid $1218 for the cabin fee and $132.22 taxes/fees, according to the Carnival invoice.

My dad as a single paid $1218 for the cabin fee and $66.11 for the taxes/fees.

The breakdown from the TA shows the cruise price as $900 and the taxes/fees as $384.11 for my dad and $900 for my sister and brother in law, but taxes/fees are $450.22.

So it seems to me that the port taxes are charged double even if the passenger is traveling solo, but the government fees/taxes are not. I think this was changed a couple of years ago.

I know that the port taxes and government fees are not commissionable to the TA, so I think that's why it is broken down like this. If I am wrong, perhaps you could explain what the fees are other than the government fees/taxes.

I read on Cruise Critic Facebook that NCL is coming out or came out with a ship that caters to a larger solo crusing community...

The Epic.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3634

Has the solo cruiser's ship finally come in? At a reveal event today aboard Norwegian Gem in New York City, Norwegian Cruise Line announced that its soon-to-launch prototype Norwegian Epic. will feature an unprecedented number of cabins designated for solo travelers. All 128 of its studio cabins will be priced for single occupancy -- with no supplement whatsoever -- from $799 per person.

No double crdit. But you do only pay one set of port charges.

I hate the 1A's they are the worst cabins on the ship. Did that one and not even when I travel solo I book a balcony. If I am going to vacation I refuse to be miserable in the cabin.

Now I am just the opposite...love my 1As.:) I try to book the 1As with the porthole when at all possible...but as a single I love the price of a 1A. As for being miserable in the cabin..I am not in my cabin long enough to be miserable.

I read on Cruise Critic Facebook that NCL is coming out or came out with a ship that caters to a larger solo crusing community...

The Epic.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3634

Has the solo cruiser's ship finally come in? At a reveal event today aboard Norwegian Gem in New York City, Norwegian Cruise Line announced that its soon-to-launch prototype Norwegian Epic. will feature an unprecedented number of cabins designated for solo travelers. All 128 of its studio cabins will be priced for single occupancy -- with no supplement whatsoever -- from $799 per person.

I am looking at booking info on Epic and there is no mention whatsoever of the singles rate? do I have to look directly at NCL's website?

If you are a solo' date=' you do NOT pay double port charges.......[/quote']

for almost a year, when I solo..this years cruzes, the are a little less..when I asked CCL PVP, (dont use her reg tho), she said "YEP" thatz what it is..so I stay w/ online Dude. Hate it, but love cruzin..at least for Gtee, 1A's..but now GF's think it's time to go w/ me so that helps..

Archived