CNN Breaking News--5.8 Earthquake off coast of Cayman Islands

Kre8tiv1

A 6.9 hit in California 10 days ago; a 7.0 in Haiti 7 days ago and now this one at 5.8. All in a span of 10 days. The globe is shifting and its scary to think what could come next or where.:confused:

That is scary when you put them all together like that.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and we frequently get cluster earthquakes. A 6.5 would be significant. All new buildings and homes have mandatory earthquake building codes. And those living on faults have earthquake insurance. It's becomes part of your life, it you want to live in this area. I've never anywhere else, so I'm not as fearful as people that have never experienced a large earthquake. Hurricanes aren't my cup of tea.

There are 'earthquakes' daily that are felt by us. Just today, there were 3 in the Soloman Is (near Australia) that were above 5.0 - these were clusters that started on 16 Jan.

Just part of life for those, such as our friend in SF area, that live on the Ring of Fire. As our 'tectonic plates' we live on shift, we get earthquakes, most we don't 'feel'.

There is a major fault just south of the Grand Caymans. Lots of websites show you the daily activity all over the globe. Neat.

try earthquake.usgs.gov

Denny

There have been 3 earthquakes in Argentina the last 3 days , including one in the Drake´s Passage , where will be going in 2 weeks...6.3 on the Richter scale. And a cluster (3 I think) druing the last few days in Mexico.

A bit daunting!

Kim

Denny your are a well of knowledge. Does this go back to the love of rocks?

I got a degree in Geology in the mid-60's, about the time that Plate Tectonics was being understood. It completely changed the science and how we understood the world.

Still read on it - I guess you are referring to my comment on the cruise through the Beagle Channel where my wife and traveling friends got a bit exasperated at me taking 100's of photos of the cliffs and stuff - she said 'Den, it's just rocks!'. I almost had a heart attack. Just Rocks!?!?! Do you say, 'its just a Rembrandt???'

oh well.

Denny

Quake rattles buildings, nerves in Cayman Isles

By Alan Markoff and Shurna Robbins

Reuters

Tuesday, January 19, 2010; 11:41 AM

GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands (Reuters) - Buildings and homes shook in the Cayman Islands on Tuesday as a 5.8 magnitude earthquake rattled the Caribbean hedge fund center, but there were no reports of injury or damage.

Minor temblors are common in the region, but Cayman residents were mindful of the 7.0 earthquake that devastated much of the capital of Haiti, Port-au-Prince a week ago.

"The whole building was rocking," said Junior Elliott, 30, who was delivering water bottles to a four-story office building near the harbor in George Town, the capital.

"Everybody scrambled, trying to get out. They couldn't use the elevators, so they went down the stairs."

The earthquake hit 30 miles southeast of Grand Cayman Island at 9:23 a.m., Cayman Islands Chief Meteorologist John Tibbetts said.

"I have heard no reports of any damage in Grand Cayman. There have been no calls to 911 or Hazard Management. It appears to be just a shaking for us," Tibbetts said.

Some phone systems were temporarily out of service but the quake had not caused major disruption, residents said.

Under Cayman building codes, homes and commercial structures must be built to withstand hurricanes as well as earthquakes. Grand Cayman lies just north of a very active fault line called the Oriente Fracture Zone, which roughly follows the northern edge of the Cayman Trough, the deepest part of the Caribbean Sea.

Grand Cayman experienced a 6.8 magnitude earthquake on December 14, 2004, just three months after being devastated by Hurricane Ivan. But that earthquake caused only minor damage to some home foundations and swimming pools

Quakes up and down the coast in California are not unusual whatsoever. As children, we went through many drills (duck and cover). Our local newspapers have daily updates as to where they occur and what the seismic measurements are. If you're not use to it, it can rattle you.

Weather is crazy today. I live in Southern California where we had tornadoes today, along with blinding rain and mudslides. Thought we escaped the tornadoes when we left the midwest 40 years ago. I grew up in Florida so I've now experienced the Holy Trinity: hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes. All part of Mother Nature I suppose. But here I am tonight, safe, sound, and cozy in my house in Pasadena, which, is very close to all of the seismic gurus at Cal Tech. So we feel somewhat connected to the earthquake knowledge and revelations.

Denny, one of my favorite cruises was in the Mediterranean visiting Corsica, Malta, Greece and Turkey. Each night at dinner we were riveted by our dining companion who was a retired geologist. He made all of our experiences come to life. Tell your wife, rocks rock.

The USGS has a world map of all the earthquakes, you can narrow it down to the last hour and zoom into different regions.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/

earthquake dot usgs dot gov

We had an earthquake at work about 2 weeks ago and everyone was on that site in minutes to see what it was on the Richter scale. (4.1).

I have only felt one earthquake in my life. The center was about 20 miles from my home in Ottawa, Illinois. I don't remember the size of the quake but it happened around 2 AM. We live on a great fault, I am about 100 miles southwest of Chicago. We are more apt to have tornadoes. As a matter of fact that same year 2004 a tornado went about 7 miles north of me and killed 7 people in Utica, Illinois.

Archived