Sailing on budget cabins

Gugi

I have done 2 QMII crossings on inside cabins. There are a few disadvantages, the biggest one being for people prone to seasickness do better with a view of the horizon. There is no easy way of knowing what is happening outside, so you should bring a clock to be sure you get a feel for what time it is. They are slightly smaller than other cabins, but not a great deal. That said, you are on the same ship with the same access as about 90% of the passengers in more expensive cabins. There is so much activity available on the ship you likely will not spend a lot of time in your cabin anyway. I would much rather be in a budget cabin on a nice ship than have a balcony on a ship with constant commercial announcements and poor programs.

We are booked in an inside cabin for the Transatlantic and happy just to be on such a beautiful ship. Yes they are small but you only sleep there and yes i have a clock / night lite but my body wakes at the regular times anyway. I love balconies but for 6 days, I can handle an inside and nobody else knows where I sleep :D

I have sailed a few times (7ish) and I have had a porthole twice, and an inside cabin the rest of the time. I find it excellent. Peace and quiet and no daylight when I sleep - and the phone has an alarm to get me up in the morning.

Most of the day is spent around the ship, not in my cabin!

Admittedly I have no problem with sea sickness, so I leave comments on being able to see the horizon to those unfortunates who suffer.

Cheers

daneel

Depends whether you are prone to claustrophobia. I like an unobstructed view of a horizon that just disappears with the curvature of the earth. Buildings, mountains, trees in the way make me feel roped in. I spent one night in a D that our kids were staying in and even with a window overlooking the atrium it made me nervous until the lights were turned out.

Their room (5117) also had water supply pipes in the ceiling just inside of the door and you could hear the water rushing through. I don't know if that is typical of all inside but theirs had it.

But if you live in town and are used to traffic sounds and not being able to see more than a mile of 2 then you likely be OK.

I always book inside cabins as I would rather have two cruises/crossings in an inside than one in more expensive accommodations. Also, I sleep better in complete darkness, spend little time in my cabin, and seasickness has never been a problem for me. I would note that if you wish you can have a window substitute in an inside cabin. If you put on your TV before you go to bed and set it on the BridgeCam channel you will be able to tell if you awaken in the night whether or not it still dark outside. Also you will be able to tell, when you wake in the morning, something about the weather and whether the ship is docked! I can live with that.

Hi Gugi,

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the Cunard board. You can learn so much from reading these boards.

We have had inside cabins on the QM2 several times. We have had no problem with that type cabin. I see that you are considering a D6 which are located on decks 4 and 5. Deck 5 is a good location because you will have cabins both above and below you. There are some inside cabins on Deck 6, below the King's Court and other restaurants, that can be quite noisy late at night and early in the morning.

If you don't really care about the location of your cabin, you might consider a D6 guarantee. You might get lucky and get an upgrade. But if you prefer a certain location, I would choose a specific cabin.

I do not remember reading about the water problem reported by Ryancoke. I would guess this is a problem associated with the atrium cabins and possibly just that cabin.

Have a wonderful voyage.

Beth

I have had both inside and outside. Whilst from choice I would like an outside, if it comes down to doing the voyage or not, then an inside is fine. I usually leave the TV on bridge cam view to see what the weather and seas are like. Three of us shared a D6 last June and with a bit of organisation were just fine for 17 nights.

DSC_0001.JPG

Just got back from the Christmas cruise. We had an inside cabin on deck 6, right by the C elevator Bank. No noise at all from Kings Court.

Did hear from one couple on deck 6, who had a balcony to wards the aft, that in the morning, they were at times awoken by the runners on deck 7, but talked to another couple, also on deck 6, who had not heard the runners.

Have never had any visible pipes in any inside cabin, on any cruise line.

Have tried ocenaview cabins, just a tad to bright for us, like the darkness of the inside at night time.

Also done balconies a couple of times, find we never spent any time on the balcony.

Having said that, neither of us suffer from claustrophobia or seasickness.

Eva

A balcony on Transatlantic can be something of a waste. Different in the summer in the Med of course.

I always book an inside cabin for price, as another posters says you are not in there that much, there is so manyother things to do around the ship and no the so called "class" of your cabin does not affect 98% of the things to do and places you can go on the ship.

Darkness is good if you feel like a snooze in the the middle of the day. and you certainly can set your TV for the Webcam to see the outside if you wish.

Upgrades are "iffy" you can get a bigger cabin from an upgrade, but it could be in an area you prefer not to hae.so if the location is a big thing stick to getting an assigned cabin from the beginning.

Whatever you choose have a wonderful cruise

Thanks for the photograph Ships Cat. I think we could cope with those beds and as everyone says the cabin is only for sleeping in. By the way was that the QV or the QM? :)

That Photo was taken on the Qm2 (at least i hope so!;):)). Our first cruise we had an inside, and thought it was fine! The storage space above the bed provide good space to put some, misc. items (as seen in the above photo).:)

on our first cruise we roughed it on QE2 in an inside on deck 5, a little cramped and noisy at times, the second time I booked a similar cabin but was upgraded to a porthole, since then I have always booked the cheapest grade available at the time of booking and and have always been upgraded.

The cabins on QV are so much better than QE was, as they should be.

It depends if you spend a lot of time in your cabin.

We spent quite a bit of time in our cabins and really appreciated having he balcony and the view, especially sometimes in the afternoon with a nice cup of tea or coffee. Also spending time getting ready for dinner in the evening with the door open and fresh air was wonderful.

Archived