Which night is the most formal?

sparkle56

Cool Beans; a dress code thread!:cool:

To the OP; HAL is/has been inconsistent in enforcing "da code" at the dining room entrance but, yes, males have on some occassions been turned away for not wearing jackets so you are always trowing the dice:eek:. Luckily, if that were to happen to you (please come back with a jacket, Sir), the Lido restauarant provides for a "casual dining experience".

As far as which one of the two formal nights "is more formal?" I have always thought the night when they put the white slipcovers over the chairs to be the more formal one but that's just me

Finally, enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the small stuff!:)

As far as which one of the two formal nights "is more formal?" I have always thought the night when they put the white slipcovers over the chairs to be the more formal one but that's just me!:)

On both the Eurodam and the Westerdam, we have seen the white slipcovers on BOTH formal nights...

For those of you who have been on a HAL Alaska cruise; would we be "overdressed"?

It's hard to be overdressed when you are dressed to code. There may be others who are underdressed, but if anyone should feel out of place, it should be them---not you.

On our most recent HAL cruise (Eurodam), our tablemates told us that they had to return to their cabins for jackets before they were admitted to the Pinnacle on one formal night.

We also witnessed a group of young men (sport shirts, no ties or jackets) who were turned back from the dining room on another formal night. First time I've witnessed this on HAL.

Some of these threads on formal nights are getting rather long and very booring. If you don't want to wear a shirt and tie, don't go to functions that request/suggest patrons dress accordingly. It's that simple is it not.

We are going on a 16 day cruise and we are not into dressing up. I have no intentions of taking a suit, shirt, tie. Ditto for the other half on cocktail dress/gown. Matter of fact we don't want to be near those who are dressed formally as vacation cruise time for us is relaxing time - not fashion statement time. We won't attend the 3 formal dining nights and will have dinner at the other venues which I know we will enjoy better.

On our most recent HAL cruise (Eurodam), our tablemates told us that they had to return to their cabins for jackets before they were admitted to the Pinnacle on one formal night.

We also witnessed a group of young men (sport shirts, no ties or jackets) who were turned back from the dining room on another formal night. First time I've witnessed this on HAL.

On our last Westerdam cruise, we were waiting for the elevator on the 2nd formal night to go down to the dining room when a large group of people came along. A room steward passed by and noticed that one of the fellows was not wearing a jacket. He informed him in front of everyone that it WAS formal night and that he would not be allowed in the dining room without a jacket, so he better go and change. They should promote that room steward to maitre d'. ;) The gentleman left to go change but his wife/girlfriend got on the elevator with us. Another gentleman in the elevator commented that at least she was dressed for formal night and did not have to change. She was wearing a SUN DRESS :eek: I guess formal means different things to different folks!

While it does not state 'REQUIRED", the HAL website does state:

"Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week."

You may or may not be turned away, but why take the chance. I bought my husband a jacket at the Salvation Army for $12 just for the cruise. It's the only time he has worn it, and probably won't wear it again, but I wanted photos on formal night.

Archived