Earthquakes

tarheel04

Since the earthquake in Haiti and all the afterchocks that have been occurring ( Grand Cayman yesterday, Haiti today ), does anyone think Carnival will change any of the iteniaries in the next week or two? We cruise on the Liberty on the 30th. Just wanted to see if anyone had heard of any such possible changes?

Since the earthquake in Haiti and all the afterchocks that have been occurring ( Grand Cayman yesterday, Haiti today ), does anyone think Carnival will change any of the iteniaries in the next week or two? We cruise on the Liberty on the 30th. Just wanted to see if anyone had heard of any such possible changes?

To my knowledge, earthquakes cannot be predicted. So.....how could they possibly change their itineraries? They're not telepathic.

just pray that Tsumani doesnt' spawn in your direction after a quake in the ocean..that scares me a little.

In the open ocean most tsunamis would go unnoticed by everyone but the most acutely aware of the sea conditions. Tsunamis become destructive when they come into shallow water like beaches.

The writers, lol. Actually I think it was a massive wave and it was just a movie.

according to the movie it was a massive wave triggered by an undersea earthquake....again it was just a work of fiction...which I know.....but I have to admit that I expected the Haiti aftershock to come sooner than it did.

I doubt any cruise ships will ever be affected by this earthquake...except for port damage at their calls...if any.

Dont cruise in the Winter...too cole

Dont cruise in the summer....hurricanes

Dont cruise over Christmas break...KIDS

Dont cruise if there is a possibility of fog...

Dont cruise from Mobile....rednecks

Dont cruise....you might catch some sickness

and...now dont cruise because there might be an earthquake,

which could create a Tsunami....even though a 7 earthquake in the

middle of the Carribean did not cause one....of course that is because

tsunamis dont occurr in the Carribean, especially in the Western...

and of course...IT'S ALL CARNIVALS FAULT

We were on the Carnival Freedom - Ft Lauderdale - 6 Day Western Caribbean when the first quake hit Haiti. We had departed Grand Caymen and were sailing to Jaimica. According to the ships status info on TV, speed, direction, and location overlay chart, we were sailing basically directly towards Haiti. CNN reported the quake, and were trying to make it newsworthy, while they had really little news, other than the quake occurred and the magnitude. We listened for about an hour, wondering about the time it occured, concerned about a tsunami. It took an hour for them to report the event time. Geez Lousie! It happened two hours ago. Tsunami's travel fast about 600 mph. At that rate, if there was one, either we sailed over it, or we are going to get hit soon. With the semi-rough sea, swells and small waves we noticed no change. Later we learned that a seismic wave had occured by it was less than a foot high at the shores. Even the large ones are not a big event at sea; it is when they hit land when the damage occurrs.

There would be no reason for Carnival to change plans. As mentioned they do not have any port calls in Haiti and so far their port calls have no effect. There is no cruise ship dock in the Caymens. There they tender passengers for the port call.

I am a travel agent. I spend hours everyday reading travel industry news and no where have I see anything written hinting of Carnival changing anything because of the quake and after shocks. On the other hand Royal Carribean does call on their privat island in Haiti and they are waiting for permission to resume sailings to it. Personally I would not feel right going to Haiti for fun and recreation, knowing the current situation in their country.

My understanding (being there twice) is Labadee is on a peninsula and not an island...;)

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu6RXLFhLqSYA3kZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyNGJmYmZrBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0RGRDVfODM-/SIG=11oq8ag4i/EXP=1264156119/**http%3a//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labadee

...And RCCL is already going there.....:cool:

On the news they said the ppl on one of the military ships felt yesterday's big aftershock. I guess a lot of them thought the ship might have run aground, but it hadn't, it was the earthquake. I've only experienced one earthquake and that was on a mountain in the Alps, so I didn't realize you'd be able to feel it at sea.

Archived