Porter Tipping

Sunbreez

When we disembarked in Port Canaveral last November they had signs in the baggage claim area that said something to the effect of "Porters are salaried. No tipping necessary". I asked the porter that was helping us about the sign & he told us that it was to keep the porters from hassling passengers about tips. I appreciated his honesty & gave him a good tip anyway.

I apologize if this is a stupid question but what does a porter do for the cruise? They take your bags from you (when?) and deliver them to your room?

No, they don't deliver them, they just take them. But you want to make sure they do get on the ship.

I can't take my own bags to my room?

Yes you can if they are small enough to fit through the xray machine. Most bags are not.

This tipping thing over there is mind blowing. Don't you ever get sick of having to tip for every little thing.

I hope we get it right when we visit next month. Wouldn't like to offend anyone' date=' don't want anyone running after us yelling at us. :eek:[/quote']

Eileen, I know tipping in Australia is not the rule, but please tip the handlers when they take your bags. :D

Yes you can if they are small enough to fit through the xray machine. Most bags are not.

Eileen, I know tipping in Australia is not the rule, but please tip the handlers when they take your bags. :D

Thanks one last question. Were taking the train from anchorage to whittier and I guess the train forwards your baggage to the ship automatically. Would the porters still be involved?

1st time crusing so again I apologize

it doesn't matter how much you give, it will not get there any faster nor handle any easier.

It gets chucked onto a steel carriage with over 800lbs on top of it, then pick up by a Union Dock worker who belongs to the longshoremen union who forklift it over the ramp into the ship a million miles an hour and dropped like a ton of bricks.

Its then grabbed at a million miles an hour and thrown in different location on the floor that is sorted thru by steel flat deck ,then assigned from your tag , off to the front elevator or mid ship elevators or aft elevators. Its then broken up again and thrown on a dolley with other roughed up baggage and sent up the elevators to a waiting room attendant on the deck your cabin is assigned.

put 3 eggs wrapped in your luggage and see how well they take care of your luggage.

Thanks one last question. Were taking the train from anchorage to whittier and I guess the train forwards your baggage to the ship automatically. Would the porters still be involved?

We checked in for the train in Anchorage and left the bags at the check in stand under a canopy, there was no porter involved. We did not see the luggage again until it arrived in our cabin.

Don't worry Pia, we will probably tip people we don't need to tip. I have already got wads of crisp brand new $1 notes stashed away. :D:D

This tipping thing over there is mind blowing. Don't you ever get sick of having to tip for every little thing.

On the one hand, the system of underpaying employees and then expecting they will make it up in tips is screwy. (Ok, the longshoremen aren't underpaid, but they are an exception.)

On the other hand, a colleague of mine from Australia said that the difference in service between the US and Australia was remarkable, especially at more casual restaurants. While there are waiters that suck the world over, he said that on the whole, wait staff in the U.S. were far more attentive then their Australian counterparts.

SirWired

On the other hand, a colleague of mine from Australia said that the difference in service between the US and Australia was remarkable, especially at more casual restaurants. While there are waiters that suck the world over, he said that on the whole, wait staff in the U.S. were far more attentive then their Australian counterparts.

SirWired

Well, seeing as we have never been to the US before I can't comment. I will, however, take note of the levels of service whilst I am there and will make an informed judgement on our return.

Having said that, I generally don't like being fawned over when I am at a restaurant and good service anywhere should not be based on whether they think they will get a good tip or not.

Again, we will be tipping when we are in your country as is expected of us. If you come to our country, please follow our customs and DO NOT tip as we do not want to turn our hospitality industry into one that relies on tips for a living.

I will get off my soapbox now and I will get into my fire retardant clothing........ :D

put 3 eggs wrapped in your luggage and see how well they take care of your luggage.

Not even necessary, I'm fully aware of how the bags are handled. I've had the framework broken well beyond repair in two fairly nice suitcases over the last three years. Once while flying from Thailand and once after departing Alaska, both times heading back here to Florida.

I hope we get it right when we visit next month. Wouldn't like to offend anyone' date=' don't want anyone running after us yelling at us. :eek:[/quote']

Hear, hear! We cruise from Southampton a lot and we never hear of anyone tipping the porters there. This tipping thng is getting out of hand!

I piggy back my bags and never use a porter, thus never tip a porter. I figure why have the wheeled, piggy back bags if you don't use them. I may be 65 but am still quite capable of taking care of my own bags.

I just have to relate this and I'm not telling my story to get a response and/or argument. Just something that happen to us in Australia.

We scheduled an Australian/New Zealand cruise with a trip from Sidney to Carins before the cruise. DW and I went in a few days early and wandered and enjoyed the sights in Sidney. Having read about not tipping in Australia we didn't.

After several days we met up with our tour director and she very specifically told our group that the wait staff did expect a tip. So I felt a bit embarrassed but what was done was done. No worry for us but when we off loaded from the bus to board the ship she was right there with her hand out.

We Americans are not too wise are we? Well, when in Rome...

Just a chuckle for us.

Well' date=' seeing as we have never been to the US before I can't comment. I will, however, take note of the levels of service whilst I am there and will make an informed judgement on our return.

Having said that, I generally don't like being fawned over when I am at a restaurant and good service anywhere should not be based on whether they think they will get a good tip or not.

Again, we will be tipping when we are in your country as is expected of us. If you come to our country, please follow our customs and DO NOT tip as we do not want to turn our hospitality industry into one that relies on tips for a living.

I will get off my soapbox now and I will get into my fire retardant clothing........ :D[/quote']

Well' date=' seeing as we have never been to the US before I can't comment. I will, however, take note of the levels of service whilst I am there and will make an informed judgement on our return.

I will get off my soapbox now and I will get into my fire retardant clothing........ :D[/quote']

I have been reading all the posts about tipping. It sounds like we have to tip everyone in America. Maybe that is true but I never have. When we do eat out we leave a few dollars for a tip. These are the casual restaruants, we don't go to the "hi buck" ones as we prefer our home cooking. I do tip my hair dresser as I have been going to her since 1977 and she has become a friend. I don't do a percentage, just give her what I have and I am sure many times it has been over 20%. I traveled with a job for over 20 years and never left a tip in my room for the maids.

You folks from Australia, don't be worried about tipping here, you will still get good service and you can choose to tip or not. I personally think this tipping thing has got way out of hand. I do use the automatic tipping on the cruises as I feel it is just a part of the cruise.

The Alaska Railroad has luggage handlers at the luggage tent in Anchorage. Just make sure that the Cruise Tags are your luggage and they will put them off to the side for the Cruise Luggage Truck. If you do not have your Cruise Tags on your bags, your bags will ride the train all day to and from Whittier. If you don't get them off the baggage car.

After your train leaves, the ARR crew helps the Cruise Staff with loading of the luggage onto the truck.

I don't know if anyone tips them or not, but they do provide a great service. The baggage car on the train would be swamped with luggage and everyone trying to get their bag off the train on the other end.

I just have to relate this and I'm not telling my story to get a response and/or argument. Just something that happen to us in Australia.

We scheduled an Australian/New Zealand cruise with a trip from Sidney to Carins before the cruise. DW and I went in a few days early and wandered and enjoyed the sights in Sidney. Having read about not tipping in Australia we didn't.

After several days we met up with our tour director and she very specifically told our group that the wait staff did expect a tip. So I felt a bit embarrassed but what was done was done. No worry for us but when we off loaded from the bus to board the ship she was right there with her hand out.

We Americans are not too wise are we? Well, when in Rome...

Just a chuckle for us.

LOL, boy did you get suckered in by her! NO-ONE expects a tip. That is just downright wrong, her saying that. If I had been there I would have reported her! That is just praying on the overseas visitors especially you Americans. How wrong is that!!! :eek: I apologise on behalf of my no good lying countryman!

When not cruising, I have the good fortune to be able to work at the pier in San Francisco as part of the "Meet & Greet" staff. Sometimes my duties take me to the curb where the arriving passenger first encounters the task of what to do with their luggage. The porters are normally in great abundance and ready to help with the luggage. Most do an outstanding job of informing the passengers of their options. They do expect a tip, even though there are signs up that state "Porters are salaried;No tip required". Some porters can be intimidating, while others just go about their way. Most often heard term: "I am the person that makes sure your luggage gets aboard the ship". I have seen porters try to intimidate folks that seem to be from a different country (And I have turned them in).

All that being said-I have gotten into discussions with the various porters and it was pointed out to me that they 1. Go to the union hall and hope to get selected for that day-Not all get to work and 2. It is not like there is a passenger ship in every day. When they do work, they are paid around $35 per hour but it is not steady work.:)

Billy and Charlie's Mum,

I love that answer thanks for the laugh. Tipping or not that trip is one of our favorites and Everybody we encountered were absolutely great.

I just had some difficulty flying several hours North and the weather became tropical and hot. We have to go South for that to happen. :)

As mentioned by another poster when you visit the USA don't worry too much about tipping. Tip if you like don't tip if you don't want to. You will still get good service. Of Course the service people DO appreciate your tips.

Don't worry Pia' date=' we will probably tip people we don't need to tip. I have already got wads of crisp brand new $1 notes stashed away. :D:D[/quote']If you're sailing out of Florida you will see "no tipping required signs" because these longshoremen make an unusually high salary, better then most of the cruisers!

When not cruising, I have the good fortune to be able to work at the pier in San Francisco as part of the "Meet & Greet" staff. Sometimes my duties take me to the curb where the arriving passenger first encounters the task of what to do with their luggage. The porters are normally in great abundance and ready to help with the luggage. Most do an outstanding job of informing the passengers of their options. They do expect a tip, even though there are signs up that state "Porters are salaried;No tip required". Some porters can be intimidating, while others just go about their way. Most often heard term: "I am the person that makes sure your luggage gets aboard the ship". I have seen porters try to intimidate folks that seem to be from a different country (And I have turned them in).

All that being said-I have gotten into discussions with the various porters and it was pointed out to me that they 1. Go to the union hall and hope to get selected for that day-Not all get to work and 2. It is not like there is a passenger ship in every day. When they do work, they are paid around $35 per hour but it is not steady work.:)

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

Billy and Charlie's Mum,

I love that answer thanks for the laugh. Tipping or not that trip is one of our favorites and Everybody we encountered were absolutely great.

I just had some difficulty flying several hours North and the weather became tropical and hot. We have to go South for that to happen. :)

As mentioned by another poster when you visit the USA don't worry too much about tipping. Tip if you like don't tip if you don't want to. You will still get good service. Of Course the service people DO appreciate your tips.

Feel free to come back :D That's where I live, up north in the tropics. :)

Archived