Porter Tipping

Sunbreez

What is the price of tipping of porters at dockside. I've been told it is $20 a bag? I know its been a few years since I've been cruising but it couldn't be that much.

Tell when to meet you and I'll take care of you're bags!:)

We usually will have two,sometimes three bags,$5.00 tip.

If you want your luggage to arrive in at least 1 piece then $2 per bag IMO.

It's always nice not having to duct tape your bag together after the porters run it over with the heavy equipment three or four times. On one of my cruises out of Port Canaveral I saw someone give a porter fifty cents for about 8 bags (it was a family of five). I wondered if they'd ever see their stuff again.

It's always nice not having to duct tape your bag together after the porters run it over with the heavy equipment three or four times. On one of my cruises out of Port Canaveral I saw someone give a porter fifty cents for about 8 bags (it was a family of five). I wondered if they'd ever see their stuff again.

Or see it floating in the water next to the ship (by accident).

We need your secret for cruising for a week with only one bag.

One 28" suitcase for two? It's only 7 days Bill. We each have 2 pair of shorts, I have 2 pair of capris and one pair of slacks. Mike has one pair of chinos. He has his suit, I have dressy pants with 2 formal tops. Assorted shirts/polos and we're good to go. Underwear, gym clothes, dress shoes for him, dress shoes and black heels for me; 2 pairs of sandals for me. We wear jeans, sneaks and light jackets while boarding. Did I miss anything? Don't think so.

Do you tip the porters at disembarkation any differently since they stay with you through customs & take the bags all the way to curbside? Some have taken my bags all the way to the parking garage. I always tip the porters a few bucks per bag when I drop them off & maybe a little more to the porters at the end of the cruise because the service is a little more personal. I have never been sure how much work it is for the porters at embarkation as compared to the porters at the end of the cruise.

Do you tip the porters at disembarkation any differently since they stay with you through customs & take the bags all the way to curbside? Some have taken my bags all the way to the parking garage. I always tip the porters a few bucks per bag when I drop them off & maybe a little more to the porters at the end of the cruise because the service is a little more personal. I have never been sure how much work it is for the porters at embarkation as compared to the porters at the end of the cruise.

Once I pick my bags up from the offload area I don't have the porters do anything else, so I don't tip them at this point. I drag my own bags through customs and beyond. If they did help, I'd probably still stick with the roughly $2 per bag, maybe upping it to $3 depending on circumstances.

When we were on the Emeral in Oct. we had one garment bag and on large suit case. We put a tag on a case on water. Gave the porter $10.00. We had everything in our room by the time we got on board.

We always give a little $$:)

I apologize if this is a stupid question but what does a porter do for the cruise? They take your bags from you (when?) and deliver them to your room?

I can't take my own bags to my room?

They only handle the bags on the pier.

Once on the ship Princess personel will bring the bags to your cabin.

You can take your own bags as long as they fit through the xray at the port.

I always tip the porter about 3 bucks per bag or Ill give 10.00 for 3 bags. I usually tip the porter on the last day too if they are helpful. On my last cruise when we got off in FLL after the cruise, We only had 1 bag each and We wheeled them out to the curb on our own. There was a porter there that just about ripped the bags out of our hands and put them in the trunk of the taxi. Then he stood there waiting for a tip. I refused to give him anything. I got in the taxi and he started to knock on the car window for me to open it to give him a tip. I told him to get lost. I understand that these guys work hard and are entitled to get paid for it but I felt like I was being hustled by this guy.

I should have said "NO SOUP FOR YOU!! NOW GO!"

Archived