Medical Care On Ship for Active Duty Military

Chowder_17

God forbid *knock on wood* something were to happen to myself and I was to get medical care on the ship, how would the medical staff deal with the active duty military medical insurance (Tricare)? Since obviously the care wouldn't be done at a military installation or a civilian hospital the forms wouldn't be able to be filled out and submitted to Tricare. Anyone have any expertise on this?

No idea what would happen for you. But I feel like I was told if I needed care (I'm on prime) and wasn't near a military hospital then there was a number I'd need to call to let them know the situation. I would try and have my husband find out from the corpsman or another person though.

PS - Congrats on the 5-year anniversary/honeymoon cruise! We and I just had ours earlier this month but we've only been married for a year and a half.

No idea what would happen for you. But I feel like I was told if I needed care (I'm on prime) and wasn't near a military hospital then there was a number I'd need to call to let them know the situation. I would try and have my husband find out from the corpsman or another person though.

PS - Congrats on the 5-year anniversary/honeymoon cruise! We and I just had ours earlier this month but we've only been married for a year and a half.

Thanks! We are really excited for this cruise. It took this long for me to be stateside for this to happen.

To correct you, I am the active duty military (Air Force; we don't have corpsman) and my husband is a civilian. According, to my leave paperwork it states: "If you must be treated at a civilian facility, instruct the civilian source of care to submit a claim for payment to the nearest Air Force medical treatment facility/ Resource Management Office. The claim must be itemized, including diagnosis, medical records, your pay grade, military address, and SSN."

I also know to contact my leadership if something was to happen.

In an normal circumstance this would be a problem, but at sea, what would be the nearest Air Force installation?

Mainly, I don't want to pay up front on my S&S card and try to file with Tricare, b/c it is my understanding that it doesn't work that way.

Hopefully, nothing will happen. I just want to cover my basis

Thanks! We are really excited for this cruise. It took this long for me to be stateside for this to happen.

To correct you, I am the active duty military (Air Force; we don't have corpsman) and my husband is a civilian. According, to my leave paperwork it states: "If you must be treated at a civilian facility, instruct the civilian source of care to submit a claim for payment to the nearest Air Force medical treatment facility/ Resource Management Office. The claim must be itemized, including diagnosis, medical records, your pay grade, military address, and SSN."

In an normal circumstance this would be a problem, but at sea, what would be the nearest Air Force installation?

Mainly, I don't want to pay up front on my S&S card and try to file with Tricare, b/c it is my understanding that it doesn't work that way.

Oh no I didn't assume who was the AD in the situation by saying my husband to mean your husband. Just stating what I would have done if we were in that situation (:

Thank you for your service, too!

Check the medical service fee paragraph......

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/medical_services.htm

Kind of says it all.....

I believe you (like the rest of us) would have to pay and then file a claim for reimbursement. Why do you think it would be different?

###

Because as far as I know, I don’t file a claim after the fact with Tricare. The civilian provider is suppose to take care of it, per my military regulations.

I have an inquiry into Carnival and my leadership as well. I was just wondering what anyone else did in this situation.

I believe I found the answer via the Tri-care site (guess I should of looked there 1st)

I'll post it here in case if anyone else is intrested:

If traveling overseas and you require emergency or urgent care, contact the TRICARE Global Remote Overseas Alarm Center in the overseas area where you are traveling for assistance in obtaining care.

TRICARE Latin America & Canada (TLAC): Includes Central and South America, the Caribbean Basin, Canada, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Phone

Toll-free: 1-888-777-8343

1-706-787-2424

DSN: 773-2424

Fax 1-706-787-3024

E-mail taolac@tma.osd.mil

Will I have to pay for services or prescriptions when traveling?

In most cases, no? but if you do, simply file a claim with TRICARE for a full reimbursement. Be sure to keep all health care and prescription receipts, and remember to file the claim in the region where you live, not where you get the care.

This would be treated like any other situation where there are no military installations avaiable. If an emergency, you go to the nearest medical facility. You would file the forms after the fact and may be required to pay up front. I know this from experience as I got foxtrot uniformed on a backcountry boarding vacation in canada while I was in the service. I know what a beast tricare can be and do not miss it at all. Another thing you may want to look into is trip insurance. Not only is medical covered but you also get trip delay ADD and a host of other coverages. Just an idea. I hope this helps

Being a US Air Force retired individual who worked in Personnel on base I would HIGHLY recommend that you check with your base or support Personnel Office or Tricare to see how to handle the problem you sited PRIOR to going on leave. If already on leave but not yet on cruise call them.

Remember the base active duty personnel and Tricare are the authorities that know the correct answer to your question and not someone on this site.

Also know how to contact your unit from a foreign country prior to going on the cruise so that you can advise them of your absence if hopitalized or you are having a problem.

Does your unit know your itinerary for your cruise and how to contact you while you are on your cruise? Did you get permission to leave the country from your unit? Interesting questions with interesting answers. Hope you can still go on your cruise after asking your unit. Remember your unit could be activated while you are on leave and would need to contact you.

Hope you had the foresight to do these minor things.

Good luck in your career and marriage.

I believe I found the answer via the Tri-care site (guess I should of looked there 1st)

I'll post it here in case if anyone else is intrested:

If traveling overseas and you require emergency or urgent care, contact the TRICARE Global Remote Overseas Alarm Center in the overseas area where you are traveling for assistance in obtaining care.

TRICARE Latin America & Canada (TLAC): Includes Central and South America, the Caribbean Basin, Canada, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Phone

Toll-free: 1-888-777-8343

1-706-787-2424

DSN: 773-2424

Fax 1-706-787-3024

E-mail taolac@tma.osd.mil

Will I have to pay for services or prescriptions when traveling?

In most cases, no? but if you do, simply file a claim with TRICARE for a full reimbursement. Be sure to keep all health care and prescription receipts, and remember to file the claim in the region where you live, not where you get the care.

Glad you found your answer. I typed and submitted my post prior to your answer being posted here on this thread.

Being a US Air Force retired individual who worked in Personnel on base I would HIGHLY recommend that you check with your base or support Personnel Office or Tricare to see how to handle the problem you sited PRIOR to going on leave. If already on leave but not yet on cruise call them.

Remember the base active duty personnel and Tricare are the authorities that know the correct answer to your question and not someone on this site.

Also know how to contact your unit from a foreign country prior to going on the cruise so that you can advise them of your absence if hopitalized or you are having a problem.

Does your unit know your itinerary for your cruise and how to contact you while you are on your cruise? Did you get permission to leave the country from your unit? Interesting questions with interesting answers. Hope you can still go on your cruise after asking your unit. Remember your unit could be activated while you are on leave and would need to contact you.

Hope you had the foresight to do these minor things.

Good luck in your career and marriage.

Thanks for the answers. I have an inquiry into my leadership and I believe I found the answer via the Tri-care website.

I have already submitted my leave form and its approved. They have the Carnival emergency number and my stateroom if they need to contact me.

In my AFSC we deploy as individuals, so there is never a unit activation. There really shouldn't be a need to contact me, its the same if I was going on leave back to my parents house in Ohio. Honestly, no one care where you go on leave as long as the leave is approved and have a way to contact me.

Thanks for the answers. I have an inquiry into my leadership and I believe I found the answer via the Tri-care website.

I have already submitted my leave form and its approved. They have the Carnival emergency number and my stateroom if they need to contact me.

In my AFSC we deploy as individuals, so there is never a unit activation. There really shouldn't be a need to contact me, its the same if I was going on leave back to my parents house in Ohio. Honestly, no one care where you go on leave as long as the leave is approved and have a way to contact me.

Thanks for responding to my reply. Glad you found your answer and your unit knows how to contact you. Enjoy your honeymoon and your military career.

Just noticed your location and can quite understand why your unit does not deploy.:D:D

God forbid *knock on wood* something were to happen to myself and I was to get medical care on the ship, how would the medical staff deal with the active duty military medical insurance (Tricare)? Since obviously the care wouldn't be done at a military installation or a civilian hospital the forms wouldn't be able to be filled out and submitted to Tricare. Anyone have any expertise on this?

The Infirmiry doesn't accept or process ANY form of insurance, even Carnival's Berkely Insurance. They will provide Billing info for you to turn-in to TriCare. Be careful to check that Billing info & paperwork to make sure it's detailed enough for insurance.

If there's a Medical concern, you might want to purchase one of the inexpensive "Lite" Trip Protection Policies. If there's any issue with "pre-existing condtions" you might want a Policy offering Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions.

ken

The Infirmiry doesn't accept or process ANY form of insurance, even Carnival's Berkely Insurance. They will provide Billing info for you to turn-in to TriCare. Be careful to check that Billing info & paperwork to make sure it's detailed enough for insurance.

If there's a Medical concern, you might want to purchase one of the inexpensive "Lite" Trip Protection Policies. If there's any issue with "pre-existing condtions" you might want a Policy offering Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions.

ken

You are absolutely right but let me add that on a recent cruise, I developed painful ear pain turned out I had swimmers ear. The ships bill was $380 with medication. TriCare did not reimburse us however the additional policy that we always buy before each cruise did. This is why we always buy an additional policy well worth the small amount we paid.

Since the medical facility on the ship does not deal with any insurance, I would assume that it is like anyone else. You get treated, pay for it, and submit a claim. If your military insurance won't pay (like a lot of private insurance outside of the US) make sure you have crusie insurance.

My husband has been in the Marine Corps 18 years and counting. We travel quite a bit ..We were overseas on a dive trip and my husband had serious ear problems twice to the Dr. in 3 days. (475.00).We have standard and it was not reimbursed..and standard is more flexible than prime. our travel insurance took care of it.anyway if you can, get insurance..We always do and if you go to insuremytrip.com it is so reasonable..Good Luck and happy Travels.. lisa

Most US health insurance does not cover care out of the counbtry, including on a ship. That's why you buy trip insurance. I have Tricare for Life, Medicare, and Federal Blue Cross/Blus Shield. I still buy trip insurance. EM

Essiesmom - I see you have Federal BCBS - did you check it for Out of Country coverage? I have BCBS FEP and it has a separate, complete out-of-country coverage complete with Provider Network.

Lately, I've been relying on that, combined with minimal trip Cancellation/Interruption and Baggage and AD&D coverage from my World Mastercard.

ken

Just noticed your location and can quite understand why your unit does not deploy.:D:D

Has nothing to do with my location. It's my job. There are less than 2,000 enlisted personal in my career field (weather) and we are responsible for every Air Force and Army base (army doesn't have its own weather folks) around the world. We deploy as individuals to the various locations. More than half my flight is deployed now; my window isn't til Dec. 2010.

Thanks for the insight everyone! I have no pre-existing conditions. I was just inquirying for life or death emergency. Pretty much I will have to pay up front.

For all those with Tri-Care who didn't get reimursed it was because everything you got treated for wasn't an emergency situation (ie swimmer's ear, while uncomfortable, isn't life or death). All routine and most urgent care isn't covered.

It would be the same as going to an Urgent Care Center in the states instead of going to the on-base clinic; you won't get reimursed.

Most US health insurance does not cover care out of the counbtry, including on a ship. That's why you buy trip insurance. I have Tricare for Life, Medicare, and Federal Blue Cross/Blus Shield. I still buy trip insurance. EM

Active Duty Tricare Prime covers you outside the country. Tricare for Life does to per the Tricare website.

How TFL Works When Care is Received Overseas

TRICARE beneficiaries who live overseas must meet the same requirements as TRICARE beneficiaries who live in the United States. TRICARE beneficiaries who live overseas and become eligible for Medicare must enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B to keep TRICARE. For exceptions to this requirement refer to the exceptions provided at the beginning of this document. If you have Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B coverage and live overseas, you may use TFL. Medicare does not typically provide health care coverage overseas; therefore, TFL pays first and you pay TRICARE’s deductible and cost shares.

Medicare pays first for health care services received in U.S. territories including: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands. If you receive services on a ship (e.g. cruise) in territorial waters adjoining the land areas of the United States, Medicare also pays first.

Providers who accept Medicare in one of the U.S. territories file the claim with Medicare. Medicare then processes the claim and forwards it to TRICARE for payment. TRICARE pays the provider directly for TRICARE-covered services.

If you seek reimbursement for care received in overseas locations not covered by Medicare, you must submit a paper claim to the TRICARE Overseas claims processor using a DD Form 2642, located on www.tricare.mil/claims/default.cfm, with a copy of your provider's itemized bill and, if applicable, your other health insurance’s explanation of benefits. You don’t have to submit a Medicare Summary Notice. You’re responsible for TRICARE’s deductible and cost shares.

I take it you are at Pete or Schriever. Anywho that price seems really low for a cruise for you and your signifigant other and I understand you got the best deal you could. I would just make sure you get as much coverage for your trip as economically possible. I have read to many threads on here where people did not have trip insurance and weren't able to go on there trip for a myriad of reasons. Not trying to bring you down or harp on anything, just trying to look out for a fellow zoomy. I hope you have a great trip.

Archived