Best Trip Protection for Cruise/Air/Medical

hartskys

What is the best company to book Trip Pretection through? Canrival wants to charge us $95 pp :eek:

Trip Insurance

The Carnival Berkely Policy offers very low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (but DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to Pre-Existing Condition) and as of 7/01/2009 includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning, and cancellation coverage for Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both CLAIM that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is a good deal financially (only) if you're in upper 60's or over, as Age is not factored into the Premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages are much less expensive if you're younger, and generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of Cruise Deposit (CSA and HTH allow you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver). Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health/Homeowners Insurance and the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to limits of the policy). If you're traveling with kids, checkout TravelEx and TravelInsured, who insure Kids free with insured adults.

TravelEX is PRIMARY and includes kids under 16 free and offers a Business/Military upgrade.

CSA Freestyle includes Cancellation for Layoff and for School Year Extension.

Patriot TRIP is PRIMARY coverage and includes Cancellation for Layoff, Cancelled Leave for Military, Fire & Police and Missed cruise for flite delay.

TravelInsured includes kids insured free with insured adult.

TravelSafe includes Cancel for Hurricane Warning and Cancel for Any Reason (not always 100%).

You can run sample premiums for your specific age, cruise costs, etc., at the Insurer's sites or at sites such as insuremytrip.com.

Make sure you first check your personal Health plan for out of country coverages and your Homeowners and Credit Card for Trip Cancellation/Interruption & Baggage Loss/Delay coverages!!!

You need to select a Policy at least somewhat based on your own situation/concerns. If you're traveling with kids, you may want to look at TravelEx and TravelInsured, which insure kids free with insured adults. TravelInsured and CSA include Extension of School Year as reasons for cancellation. CSA. TRAVELEX, Patriot and Carnival Berkely include Employer Layoff as reasons for cancellation. Patriot includes Military, Fire & Police Cancelled leave coverage.

If you purchase your Policy within 14-21 days of booking cruise, many companies will give you Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions, which I'd recommend. CSA and HTH will give you the waiver if you purchase the Policy up to final Payment Deadline. Otherwise, you can purchase Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway for Carnival Berkely and practically up to sailaway for other Polcies.

Most Policies are Secondary Policies, meaning that they're often a bit less expensive, but they only cover the expenses that your existing Health Plan, Homeowner's Policy, etc don't cover - so you have to file first with those Insurers, then with your Trip Insurance. TrsavelEx and Patriot are Primary Policies and cover all expenses with no requirement to file (or coordinate) with your other Policies.

If you're not into Research, checkout CSA "Comfort" and "Freestyle" Policies. Otherwise you can compare rates and coverages at insuremytrip.com. You can check rates and such (and purchase direct) at the Insurer's sites or you can do so at InsureMyTrip.com.

Carnival's Berkely Policy isn't necessarily the best policy (altho it offers Cancellation for Hurricane Warning and Employer Layoff coverage, and will give you a future cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as being due to a pre-existing condition) but it becomes the better "financial" deal if you're in your upper sixties or older.

ken

What exactly is a pre-existing conditions waiver?

(All) policies have a clause that if you had a new medical condition occur in the past 60 to 180 days (depending on which Policy) before you purchased the policy, any insurance claim related to this condition would be denied.

Many Policies offer to "waive" any pre-existing medical conditions (Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions) if you purchase the Policy w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise deposit (with CSA you can purchase as late as Final Payment). this also expedites any claim submittal, as the insurer doesn't have to go thru your medical history to detect a pre-existing condition!

Carnival's Berkely Policy does not offer the Waiver, but if your claim is denied as due to a pre-existing condition, they will instead give you a futuure cruise credit.

ken

My husband and I are in our 40's but my mother in law is 79. She had a heart attack a couple years back so that wouldn't be considered pre-equisting would it? What do you think would be the best policy for us? $95 pp seems high to me.

(All) policies have a clause that if you had a new medical condition occur in the past 60 to 180 days (depending on which Policy) before you purchased the policy, any insurance claim related to this condition would be denied.

Many Policies offer to "waive" any pre-existing medical conditions (Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions) if you purchase the Policy w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise deposit (with CSA you can purchase as late as Final Payment). this also expedites any claim submittal, as the insurer doesn't have to go thru your medical history to detect a pre-existing condition!

Carnival's Berkely Policy does not offer the Waiver, but if your claim is denied as due to a pre-existing condition, they will instead give you a futuure cruise credit.

ken

I don't know if that is correct.

My son has Type 1 Diabetes since 2005. This is considered a pre-existing condition and not covered by cruise company insurance policies.

Yes, but why pay more when you can get the same or better coverage at insurmytrip.com

We've been using Travel Insured (the middle grade one with no extras). $110 for 4 people (kids are free and covered under their policy) for a 7 day cruise that cost $3200 for 4.

My son has Type 1 Diabetes since 2005. This is considered a pre-existing condition and not covered by cruise company insurance policies.

Hi disneylover89,

You are correct. The pre-existing condition definitions are not limited to a new condition. Here's more information:

Pre-existing conditions coverage is complicated. Here's how pre-existing conditions, medically stable and the lookback period fit together:

* Any medical condition (no matter how minor) existing in the Lookback Period is defined as a Pre-Existing Condition if you've had symptoms, it's been treated, consulted on or had a change of medication during those number of days prior to the travel insurance policy's effective date.

* A Pre-Existing Medical Condition includes any condition that's been tested, treated, examined, consulted with, received advice on or had symptoms of. This also includes any adjustments or changes in any prescriptions or medication. If a pre-existing condition exists, it must be "medically stable".

"Medically Stable" generally means that the person with the pre-existing condition:

o Has not already taken a turn for the worse;

o Is not in a state where any changes are foreseen, known, or expected that could cause the person to "take a turn for the worse".

This varies from company to company. For example, Stage 4 cancer will not have pre-existing conditions coverage with some companies, but others will cover it.

* If the traveler has the pre-existing condition, they have to be medically able to travel when they get their travel insurance. Don't get a policy if you're being treated now (and can't currently travel), yet your doctor says you'll be able to travel later. You will not be covered at all. Learn more about Medically Stable here.

* If the person has a stable pre-existing condition, then the only way the pre-existing condition exclusion can be waived is to buy the travel insurance by the deadline. Important: Keep in mind that the pre-existing condition exclusion is being waived when you buy the travel insurance by the deadline.

I hope this makes sense.

You have tio check each Policy for specific exclusions. ken

Thanks Ken... So that is any new medical condition leading up to the purchase, not after right? Meaning if we have been healthy then this would not be a concern?

Steve expanded the simplified explanation, a few posts previous.

But yes, the pre-existing means any medical conditions in the 60-180 day look-back window preceding the Insurance Policy purchase. Additionally, you have to be medically fit to travel the day you purchase the Policy.

As I mentioned, if all other factors are otherwise equal, it's nice to have this waiver if only to expedite any claim, as the Insurer wouldn't be searching your medical history for pre-existing conditions.

ken

My husband and I are in our 40's but my mother in law is 79. She had a heart attack a couple years back so that wouldn't be considered pre-equisting would it? What do you think would be the best policy for us? $95 pp seems high to me.

MIL's heart condition probably wouldn't be considered a pre-existing condition as long as it didn't flare-up and require ANY treatment or ANY Med changes in the past 60-180 days - but it would really be easier to just purchase a Policy with the "waiver of pre-existing conditions" to avoid any such issues - just check the Policy for any specific exclusions.

MIL's Policy is going to be EXPENSIVE at her age - cost-wise, the Carnival Berkely Policy will be much less expensive than a 3rd party policy, for her. The Carnival Policy doesn't have a Waiver, but DOES give you a future cruise credit if her claim is denied as being due to pre-existing in preceding 60 days.

I don't know the cost of cruise you're insuring so I can't assess the cost. I like CSA Freestyle or CSA Custom as having very good coverages and decent premiums, TravelInsured Trip Protector and AIG TravelGuard Premier Protect Assist also look good. TravelEx Basic and TravelInsured Lite are basic, inexpensive policies no worse than Carnivals, but much less expensive.

ken

Yes, but why pay more when you can get the same or better coverage at insurmytrip.com

We've been using Travel Insured (the middle grade one with no extras). $110 for 4 people (kids are free and covered under their policy) for a 7 day cruise that cost $3200 for 4.

If you're traveling with kids, you GOTTA consider TravelEx and TravelInsured, as they insure kids free with insured adults!!!!!!

Premiums should be same whether you purchase from insuremytrip or direct from the Insurer. If you're a member of USAA, I believe they discount TravelInsured premiums a little bit for their members.

ken

Thats interesting.

WRT Carnival Berkely Policy:

The Diabetes isn't specifically excluded in the Policy, that I can find.

As long as any Diabetes condition occurring previous to Berkely's 60day lookback, required no new treatment, no change in meds, and no change, during the 60 day lookback, it would look to be excluded as a pre-existing condition.

Even if the Diabetes WERE not covered, You would still be covered for anything not traceable to the Diabetes ( a fall, a broken wrist, Malaria.....).

If your claim were somehow denied as due to pre-existing, you'd still get a future cruise credit.

I'd be taking a closer look at anyone's assertation that this isn't covered.

Also, be aware that in most policies, the pre-existing exclusion does not apply to Medical Evacuation.

ken

Policy we get through our TA now has to be paid with the booking for pre-existing. And -- they get you as a cabin. Hubby has Type 2 diabetes, I have no pre-existing. Insurance had to be paid up front. Same was said for cabin my mom and sister-in-law were in. My mom, good, my SIL takes BP med - they call that pre-existing. We had a claim with this company two years ago with a member of our party who got a blood clot and couldn't travel. Gave them all info they needed and claim was paid in under a month.

Policy we get through our TA now has to be paid with the booking for pre-existing. And -- they get you as a cabin. Hubby has Type 2 diabetes, I have no pre-existing. Insurance had to be paid up front. Same was said for cabin my mom and sister-in-law were in. My mom, good, my SIL takes BP med - they call that pre-existing. We had a claim with this company two years ago with a member of our party who got a blood clot and couldn't travel. Gave them all info they needed and claim was paid in under a month.

Out of curiosity - what Insurerer/policy is this?

You might be better off purchasing your insurance not thru TA.

Most Policies offering the waiver allow you to purchase within 14-21 days of cruise deposit; CSA allows you to purchase at Final Payment.

I don't know of any requirement to purchase by cabin. You could purchase one advantageous Policy/insurer for one passenger and a different policy/insurer advantageous to the other passenger.

High Blood pressure should not be a pre-existing condition as long as no associated Doctor Visits, treatment, or med changes in the lookback window.

ken

Once you pay your final payment aren't you locked into the full amount of the cruise so wouldn't you want to buy travel insurance then?

Also, do most health insurance policies cover while your on the cruise or do you ahve to buy travel insurance to get it?

Once you pay your final payment aren't you locked into the full amount of the cruise so wouldn't you want to buy travel insurance then?

Also, do most health insurance policies cover while your on the cruise or do you ahve to buy travel insurance to get it?

Hi hartskys,

There's no good reason to wait to get the trip insurance once you can lose all your money.

Here's what we suggest a person does to find out their coverage outside the USA:

First, get out your plan’s Description of Coverage to have handy. Next, call back your insurance company and ask this: “If I get hit by a cement truck in the Caribbean (or another destination), how much will I have to pay out of pocket?”

As silly as this sounds, this will work to find out how much your insurance pays. The main reason it works is because insurance company customer service reps often talk to complaining and / or whining people who are sometimes rude, too.

I (& many others) have found that using a silly example like this brings some much-needed humor into the customer service rep’s day. And, of course, anything you can do to brighten someone else’s life is a good thing.

Plus, asking “If I get hit by a cement truck in the Caribbean (or another destination), how much will I have to pay out of pocket?” reveals exactly what your deductibles and copays are.

If you just ask, “Am I covered by my insurance in the Caribbean?” and they say “Yes”, that tells you nothing of any value.

No matter what answer the rep gives you, ask them to show you where in your plan’s Description of Coverage they are finding the answer for your future reference.

Once you know the answers to the above, you can make a better informed decision about which travel insurance plan to get. There’s no reason to pay extra for medical coverage you don’t need nor do you want to ignorantly expose yourself to a large uncovered medical claim.

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

Originally Posted by hartskys

hsrtskys - Ditto to Steve's recommendations.

The best way to "verify" your coverage is to call the Insurer's Customer service with a specific scenario (maybe several calls for several scenarios) and specifically which clause covers that scenario. Also to carefully read the "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage (if you're purchasing it) as it often isn't the 100% coverage you assume.

IMO you get the most out of your insurance if you purchase it within a few days of booking your cruise; the premium doesn't reduce the closer you get to sailaway.

ken

I went on insuremytrip.com and compared a lot of policys. I'm new at this so I'm a little lost. It seems to me TruTravel insurance is pretty good with a good rate of $137. I'm looking at around $2547 for our trip to be insured at and includes my MIL at 79 years old. Has anyone used this company?

I went on insuremytrip.com and compared a lot of policys. I'm new at this so I'm a little lost. It seems to me TruTravel insurance is pretty good with a good rate of $137. I'm looking at around $2547 for our trip to be insured at and includes my MIL at 79 years old. Has anyone used this company?

Never heard of TruTravel!

Your Total Cruise/Airfare cost is $2547 for 3 adults ages 45? 45? and 79? for How many Day Cruise?

ken

Archived