Question on self disembarkation

lrmrtn

If you do self-disembarkation, what time do you have to be off the ship by? Do you have to be one of the first off? i don't want to worry about having to put our bags out by a certain time and then finding them at the port. but we'd want to enjoy a leisurely breakfast the last morning and not be rushed to get off the ship. We have a late flight so no issues there. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just keep in mind, if you self embark later on in the morning, you will be taking those bags with you everywhere on the ship. There is no place to leave them once you check out of your stateroom, so they must accompany you until you disembark. ;) It is one reason they ask those that have self disembarkation to be in the self embarkation group which does leave the ship earlier. Plus, carrying bags off later in the morning will be a bit difficult with all the passengers attempting to get to the terminal to find their bags. It can be a bit of a madhouse in those crowds and can hold up embarkation as you attempt to take your bags when others only have a carry on.

You can get off anytime until they clear the ship. This occurs about 9:30 or 10 usually. But remember, you will have to be out of your cabin by 8am and you will then have to pull, carry, lug all your stuff with you until you disembark and get to transportation.

The purpose of self-disembarkation is to allow those who need to get off the ship ASAP a way of doing so without needing to wait until all luggage from the ship has been off-loaded and stored in the terminal.

Thus, it is the expectation that those who select this will get off as soon as disembarkation is allowed.

To dis-embark later means that those who selected normal dis-embarkation may be slowed down in the process by people taking all of their luggage down the ramps and through the terminal.

Can you probably wait until later to exit the ship? Probably. But with a late flight, why not just put your luggage out the night before and ask to be in one of the last groups to dis-embark?

Thanks everyone. The reason I asked is I heard you have to put your bags out fairly early the night before for regular disembarkation, like 7pm and that may be a hassle since it'll interfere with dinner and we'll have extra clothes and toiletries that we'll have to worry about finding room for in our carry on bag.

Your luggage won't actually have to be put out in the hallway until around 10-11 the night before you disembark. Not sure who started this 'early' rumor as your's is not the first post questioning this, but it just isn't so. They ask you to put them out as early as possible, but it is not necessary.

Your luggage won't actually have to be put out in the hallway until around 10-11 the night before you disembark. Not sure who started this 'early' rumor as your's is not the first post questioning this, but it just isn't so. They ask you to put them out as early as possible, but it is not necessary.

glad to hear the rumor isn't true! If we can put them out after dinner, that'll work. since we have a late flight, I don't want to have to rush off the ship and I don't want to interfere with those trying to make an early flight.

OP,

You will be happy with your decision-we usually do self-disembarkation as we have a long drive home, but the last few cruises it really has been a madhouse (especially on the larger ships) with more and more folks doing it, many of whom struggle to control all of their baggage. It can be challenging, especially if you have a carryon or two, or some liquor boxes.

For my next cruise I am flying to Ft; Lauderdale, so I will enjoy a leisurely breakfast and request to be in one of the later disembarkation times!

The "rumor" appears in the Disembarkation Information Sheet which is left in your cabin the day before.

It certainly is not a requirment.

Verbatim (almost):

BAGGAGE COLLECTION

(Commences 7:00pm ___DAY)

To enable us to have a speedy disembarkation, we would request your help in placing the majority of baggage outside your stateroom before you proceed to dinner.......etc

Archived