Bank Credit Card Foreign Transaction Fee

JonconOH

Do they not charge the transaction or whatever they call it fee? I know Capital One in Canada does...currency exchange fee to US dollars and then 3% on top of that for foreign..

if there is a card in Canada that doesnt charge, I would be interested in finding out. We ended up going across the bridge to Michigan and opening an American bank account just for travelling.

As I mentioned before, you should be able to open a US dollar account at your Canadian bank. You should also be able to get a US dollar denominated credit card from your Canadian bank. Then you convert your hard earned money to US $s at the best rate you can get. Usually about 1% difference from the official bank of Canada rate The exchange rate fluctuates by the minute.

Now you have US $ in an account with which to pay your US $ credit card. The only other fee would be any monthly charge for the account or annual fee for the card. These fees are waived by TD Canada Trust if you maintain a sufficient monthly balance. Should be less than a trip across ther border.

I have not used TD Visa for Oceania. I plan to use my Visa Card for another payment and will see if there is a Foreign Transaction Fee.

Just to let you know there is another option--we didn't want another onboard credit so we made our final payment using bill pay from our bank. It went through fine, and we didn't have to bother with trying to get a "refund" from Oceania. I realize it doesn't help if you're trying to get miles from your credit card, but it's a lot less of a hassle. Just a thought.

Just to let you know there is another option--we didn't want another onboard credit so we made our final payment using bill pay from our bank. It went through fine, and we didn't have to bother with trying to get a "refund" from Oceania. I realize it doesn't help if you're trying to get miles from your credit card, but it's a lot less of a hassle. Just a thought.

Do you mean that you paid your cruise as if you were paying the telephone bill, without a credit card?? If so, how did you identify the 'debt' to your bill paying account.....did the cruise line give you an account number?

I'd love to know how this is done!!! Thanks for any information!

Do you mean that you paid your cruise as if you were paying the telephone bill, without a credit card?? If so, how did you identify the 'debt' to your bill paying account.....did the cruise line give you an account number?

I'd love to know how this is done!!! Thanks for any information!

Hi,

I just set up Oceania as the Payee, and my bill pay program asked for an account number--I gave it my booking number, which appeared on the check the bank sent to Oceania. I sent it to the Oceania address in Miami. I checked with Oceania about a week after I sent the bill pay, and they confirmed that they received it and sent me a receipt by e-mail. It was all very easy. Hope this helps.

Hi,

I just set up Oceania as the Payee, and my bill pay program asked for an account number--I gave it my booking number, which appeared on the check the bank sent to Oceania. I sent it to the Oceania address in Miami. I checked with Oceania about a week after I sent the bill pay, and they confirmed that they received it and sent me a receipt by e-mail. It was all very easy. Hope this helps.

That's a clever idea, I'll have to remember that! I used a Capital One card, so no transaction fees, but Capital One flagged my final payment transaction as unexpected and suspended the card until they could talk to me - I suspect Oceania's use of a foreign bank contributed to that transaction getting flagged.

Thanks,

--David

Years ago I had a credit card flagged because of a "large purchase". When I contacted Customer Service, they told me that any transaction over a certain amount will cause a flag. This "certain amount" is established by their security office on a daily basis. They also told me that "unusual purchases" can cause a flag. Their definition of "unusual" is a purchase not made regularly or within the account holder's immediate area.

They told me that the best way to avoid this flag is to contact them before making any large purchase, especially if it is out of state. They will post this pending purchase as being an approved purchase and it will go through without causing a flag.

I now call them when making cruise deposits and/or final payments since the cruise line purchases are not made within my home state and could be considered "large" by the credit card company.

Hi,

What an excellent idea!! You live in the US, and I live in Canada....I wonder if there's a solution? I'll see about setting up an US account with the TD bank....in that way, the money transfer would be in US funds. I could start with $10 and see what happens.

Anything to avoid that darned, expensive commission that the banks give themselves for doing next to nothing.

I'll let you know how it goes...:D

Please forgive this correction NVGAL, but past experience has shown that this distincton MUST be made, or all kinds of hell will break loose on the boards:

Oceania does not ASSESS the transaction fee, therefore, they are not in a position to REFUND it.

What Oceania does is to credit passengers who were charged the fee with an equal amount in on board credits, as a courtesy.

The fee itself remains in the coffers of your BANK.

I have been issued credit card refund, not given shipboard credit. Yes, I realize the ship doesn't make the charge, the bank does, but they have given me a credit.

I have always heard that is is best to pay by credit card-as credit cards ( at least in the US) give you some protection in case the cruise line or travel agent- if you pay them) goes bankrupt or some other unforseen event occurs.

You have a period of time to challenge a credit card transaction if you dont get what you paid for.

Paying by check or debit card does not give you the same protection.

Lew

I have experienced the same Foreign Transaction fee on our deposit.

3% from CITI Hilton Honors Visa Card. I was shocked to say the least.

I learned form this board that many have been hit with the same fee. I, like others, thought that "O" had a US presence (Office) and did their banking in the States, but they actually use some financial institution in Irelend and hence the fee from your CC.

I did contact our travel agency about getting a credit and they claim that "O" told them it wasn't THEIR fee and THEY would not do anything about it.

It was a $45 on the deposit, but I'm worried about the $300 fee if we charge our balance on the card.

I am most upset at our agent, who most assuredly has had this happen to other customers.... I feel they should have at least given us a hint it may happen.

I gotta figure out what to do about our final payment.

At first I was upset enough about it to cancel the cruise, but I have calmed down a little now. I wonder why "O" has given some PAX credit but we got nothing ? I guess they may have changed their policy or the agent didn't really contact them about it.

Oceania includes information about the charge on their web site, but cannot say exactly which credit cards will charge the fee and which will not. That information is available in the details of your contract with the credit card issuer, which are mailed to you periodically and which are available on their web site.

Make a copy of the statement which showed the fee, redact (black-out or white-out) all of the information you would rather they did not see, but make sure your name, address, booking number, etc. are shown. Send that copy to your travel agent and tell them to forward it to Oceania for shipboard credit or reimbursement. If your agent balks, or appears not to know who to send it to, send it to Oceania yourself and get a new agent.

In the meantime, think about a new credit card for the final payment. I don't know of any AmEx cards that charge the fee. You can get AmEx cards with no annual fee from Bank of America and many other sources; mine also accumulates points. You might also consider opening a Schwab One brokerage account and an accompanying High Yield Checking account, then apply for the Schwab Bank Visa card. The benefits are that the checking account is accompanied by a Visa Check Card (debit card) which you can use to get cash anywhere in the world, and Schwab will reimburse any ATM fees. The Schwab Bank Visa credit card does not assess the foreign transaction fee; Schwab absorbs the 1% fee from Visa and does not assess any further fee.

I am not associated with Schwab, American Express or Bank of America in any way, except that I do hold an equity position in Bank of America (more's the pity :rolleyes:).

I am most upset at our agent, who most assuredly has had this happen to other customers.... I feel they should have at least given us a hint it may happen.

I gotta figure out what to do about our final payment.

At first I was upset enough about it to cancel the cruise, but I have calmed down a little now. I wonder why "O" has given some PAX credit but we got nothing ? I guess they may have changed their policy or the agent didn't really contact them about it.

Possibly your TA may not know which credit cards charge the fee it would be hard for a TA to know about all credit card polices.

Perhaps your TA did not contact O.

It seems from others here that they are still giving the credit Try mailing Oceania a copy of the CC statement with your booking number on it requesting the credit.

It is the CC that charges the fee not Oceania so if they choose not to refund the amount it is their choice

Oceania includes information about the charge on their web site, but cannot say exactly which credit cards will charge the fee and which will not. That information is available in the details of your contract with the credit card issuer, which are mailed to you periodically and which are available on their web site.

Make a copy of the statement which showed the fee, redact (black-out or white-out) all of the information you would rather they did not see, but make sure your name, address, booking number, etc. are shown. Send that copy to your travel agent and tell them to forward it to Oceania for shipboard credit or reimbursement. If your agent balks, or appears not to know who to send it to, send it to Oceania yourself and get a new agent.

In the meantime, think about a new credit card for the final payment. I don't know of any AmEx cards that charge the fee. You can get AmEx cards with no annual fee from Bank of America and many other sources; mine also accumulates points. You might also consider opening a Schwab One brokerage account and an accompanying High Yield Checking account, then apply for the Schwab Bank Visa card. The benefits are that the checking account is accompanied by a Visa Check Card (debit card) which you can use to get cash anywhere in the world, and Schwab will reimburse any ATM fees. The Schwab Bank Visa credit card does not assess the foreign transaction fee; Schwab absorbs the 1% fee from Visa and does not assess any further fee.

I am not associated with Schwab, American Express or Bank of America in any way, except that I do hold an equity position in Bank of America (more's the pity :rolleyes:).

I have a Chase Visa and a Discover Card too, I'm going to check with them to see if they have any Foreign Transaction Fees".

I may try the trick someone else mentioned about doing a Bank Transfer or PayPal.... or.... if I send it early enough, maybe I can use a good old fashioned check.

Thanks, Tim

Possibly your TA may not know which credit cards charge the fee it would be hard for a TA to know about all credit card polices.

Perhaps your TA did not contact O.

It seems from others here that they are still giving the credit Try mailing Oceania a copy of the CC statement with your booking number on it requesting the credit.

It is the CC that charges the fee not Oceania so if they choose not to refund the amount it is their choice

I have a suspician that my TA didn't really contact "O" based on others experience in getting a SC or CC credit.

I know it's not "O" who is charging the fee.

I may try contacting "O" directly.....

Thanks !

I have a Chase Visa and a Discover Card too, I'm going to check with them to see if they have any Foreign Transaction Fees".

I may try the trick someone else mentioned about doing a Bank Transfer or PayPal.... or.... if I send it early enough, maybe I can use a good old fashioned check.

Thanks, Tim

Discover does not charge the fee, but O doesn't take Discover. Not sure why; when I was in business, I took Visa, MC and Discover, but not AmEx because their fees were too high and their policies too draconian.

I used a Bank Of America Visa Check Card (debit card) to pay a deposit, once, with no fee, but I would check on that because many things have changed in the past couple of years. I would use the debit card all the time, except that it doesn't pay any points.

... if I send it early enough, maybe I can use a good old fashioned check.

Thanks, Tim

From the O website

American Express, MasterCard, Visa, travel agency checks and personal checks are accepted for deposits and full payments. For your convenience, your Final Payment may be automatically charged to the credit card used to make the initial deposit.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/termsconditions.aspx

Lyn

Don,

We took your advice re: Schwab when we did the Baltics. What great info that was. No problem with ATM's , no fees and to top it off a whopping 0.75% interest on the checking account. I now use this account for deposits for overseas travel with NO worries. Thanks for the info (However we did have to tell the Brokers to back off on the phone calls:rolleyes:..and they did)

Also we use Capital One exclusively for "O" payments and there have been many trips (4) in the past 2 years. No fee ever.

Looking forward to meeting you on the MIA/BCN next month..can you believe the year went by so quickly?? Deb

From the O website

American Express, MasterCard, Visa, travel agency checks and personal checks are accepted for deposits and full payments. For your convenience, your Final Payment may be automatically charged to the credit card used to make the initial deposit.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/termsconditions.aspx

Lyn

Lyn,

Thanks for digging that info up for me. It's good to know that a check is acceptable.

One problem with using a check instead, is that the credit cards often carry "some" sort of Insurance as well as some protections for the holder. ( Mine do ).

Not to mention that the cards "I" use have some bonus points awards thingys for using them.

To use mine for a $10,000 charge would rack up some pretty hefty bonus points.

But at least I now know I can fall back on the personal check as a last resort.

Thanks again.

Archived