Newbie ?-might be dumb

mercedes28

guess you don't frequent many forums. There are MANY more, both general and cruise or travel specific.

MIL = Mother in Law etc.

PCC = Personal Cruise consultant

TA = Travel agent

HC= Handicap like HC cabin

I am sure the list will grow

nope don't visit many forums. well until I booked a cruise now I'm obsessed! I figured out the MIL, SIL, FIL, etc and TA, but the others were unclear. some people use them in such a context that I thought....they can't be talking about people. I guess it's just the way they talk/type. I personally would/will just write husband, wife, sister, daughter, etc. to each thier own I guess. :D

I may have called my hubby a DH a time or two, but I sure wasn't calling him a Dear anything!! :rolleyes:

LMAO!!! (by the way- that means laughing my a** off)- I too have called my hubby a DH! and the h stood for "head" and the d... well, you can guess that one! ;)

Some other common forum abbreviations-

BTW- by the way

IMO- in my opinion

IMHO- in my honest (or humble) opinion

TIA- thanks in advance

Check out this recent thread for some other common ones...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1126783&highlight=abbreviations

Take care,

Diana :)

just wondering what DH and DD stand for? there are more that I don't get but these are the ones I keep coming accross. i'm sure when someone replies, i'll feel like a moron but i gotta know.

DH -> dead head

DD -> dead dog

did I get that right?

Bwahhhhhh I'm sitting back thinking geez that newbie sure has nfi LMFAO!!! Everyone knows they are the cabin gradings....................

LOL LOL LOL :D :o Then I read the thread, and went...... OMG how embarrassment, they mean the family D stuff :)

OP, on another forum I was the self professed NFI president, and we had a clubhouse as well as the nfi corner, due to the amount of NFI's flying about!!!! :D My above example is why no-one ever challenged me for the title LOL!

good for you for asking :) you won't know if you don't ask. Plus you get to out thickies like me ha ha ha!!!!

Bwahhhhhh I'm sitting back thinking geez that newbie sure has nfi LMFAO!!! Everyone knows they are the cabin gradings....................

LOL LOL LOL :D :o Then I read the thread, and went...... OMG how embarrassment, they mean the family D stuff :)

OP, on another forum I was the self professed NFI president, and we had a clubhouse as well as the nfi corner, due to the amount of NFI's flying about!!!! :D My above example is why no-one ever challenged me for the title LOL!

good for you for asking :) you won't know if you don't ask. Plus you get to out thickies like me ha ha ha!!!!

So what's NFI? LOL

I would never call my other half dear husband. Which is why I am going on a cruise without him.......

guess you don't frequent many forums. There are MANY more, both general and cruise or travel specific.

MIL = Mother in Law etc.

PCC = Personal Cruise consultant

TA = Travel agent or TransAtlantic

HC= Handicap like HC cabin

I am sure the list will grow

And

CD= Cruise Director

ACD = Asst. CD

:eek: emoticons telling people what to think?????? ZOMG!!!!! For me, when I use them (and I use plenty LOL!) it's trying to convey the nuance of my post. The written word can be difficult to interpret, (its the same as typing (tic) after something. It's just trying to let my reader know that it was meant in humour, with embarrassment / shame, with nfi or in anger etc. I definitely don't use emoticons with the intent of "telling others how to think or how to interpret my posts"

I find my "NQ" humour is often lost with the average aussie let alone an american audience. The emoticons (for me anyways) is an attempt to give an interpretative indication to my meaning!

Oh, and before you ask....... tic = tongue in cheek!!! LOL :) (ie I mean this last bit in a friendly way, not in a :p cheeky in ya face way....)

NQ = North Queensland.

:eek: emoticons telling people what to think?????? ZOMG!!!!! For me, when I use them (and I use plenty LOL!) it's trying to convey the nuance of my post. The written word can be difficult to interpret, (its the same as typing (tic) after something. It's just trying to let my reader know that it was meant in humour, with embarrassment / shame, with nfi or in anger etc. I definitely don't use emoticons with the intent of "telling others how to think or how to interpret my posts"

I find my "NQ" humour is often lost with the average aussie let alone an american audience. The emoticons (for me anyways) is an attempt to give an interpretative indication to my meaning!

Oh, and before you ask....... tic = tongue in cheek!!! LOL :) (ie I mean this last bit in a friendly way, not in a :p cheeky in ya face way....)

NQ = North Queensland.

I realise what they are for but that's how I feel about them, I also think they are often an excuse to say something a bit unpleasant & get away with it.

Archived