Best Tips for a Very "Chill" Cruise

hkarnie

Hi, everyone! Thanks in advance for your help with this.

For my 40th birthday, my husband is sending me and my best friend on a cruise! We have two little ones (3 and 1 1/2) at home, so I'm most looking forward to following three things:

1) Feeding only myself at meal times.

2) Sleeping through the night.

3) Reading a book that has nothing to do with parenting.

Everything else is a bonus!

We are taking the 5-day, Navigator of the Seas trip that starts in Miami, Day at Sea, Cozumel, Day at Sea and back to Miami.

I'm not a big spa fan, but I'd love any suggestions for fun, low-key things to do that are special aspects of the cruise experience.

Thanks!

Heather

You should go to the shows in the theatre, Royal Caribbean has a lot of talented performers. If you enjoy a certain era of music, you can most likely find that one evening. It is great sitting outside on Deck 4, especially when docked. You are going to Cozumel, and to me, I enjoyed Cozumel more when I went scuba diving. I took a tour of the place, and it all looked the same, for the whole 2 hours while driving.

And if you like to listen to a piano player, go to the Schooner Bar. That is always a fun place to be in the evenings, especially if you have the right piano player!

Have fun, and enjoy being waited on in the dining room, if you choose to eat there. It is nice to open a menu with no prices on them!

I find that when I book excursions (either through the cruiseline or independent) that I feel a bit more stressed--I guess it's the "scheduled" aspect of it. When I want to totally chill out, I do not book anything, but just go with the flow and wander around the ports.

All the other advice given above is terrific. Have a wonderful and rejuvenating cruise!

Karen

Thank you so much, you guys!

I think I needed permission to do as little as possible.

I have really been torn about the "excursion, not to excursion" question. It's nice to know that we probably won't be bored if we don't do one!

On the Navigator, grab a book and go to Deck 4. This is the deck with the walk way all around the outside of the ship. There are scads of lounge chairs out there as well. Find a nice spot, sit and begin to read. I challenge you to last more than one or two pages before falling asleep. Being out in the fresh air, listening to the sounds of the sea (this is especially great on sea days). You can in the sun or in the shade. Nothing like it anywhere! I heartily recommend it. (DW doesn't like it because she says I snore...)

-----------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – April 17, 2010

The Oasis Camels Website

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

I booked excursions for me and my bff only because this is our first cruise, now next time I may not book them who knows, I do know we both love to lay in the sun and the beach, ahhh cant wait...11 more days!

Thank you so much, you guys!

I think I needed permission to do as little as possible.

I have really been torn about the "excursion, not to excursion" question. It's nice to know that we probably won't be bored if we don't do one!

Check out ports of call for Coz to see what might be a simple stroll from pier to experience. I've not been there, so, sadly, no helpful tips...

if you pick a few things you'd like to see, with no bookings to arrange or be concerned about, it's soooo stress-free!!! Could be there is a cheap way to get to the ruins or the best beach or ...

enjoy your peaceful cruise!

As for the port, we just came back from Cozumel - I hadn't been there in 5 years or so and my husband had never been. We didn't do an excursion and had a very nice time - strolled through some shops, came back to a little town square near the port, sat down, had some drinks and quesadillas and then walked back to the ship.

I agree with the poster above, excursions may be nice; however, I don't really think of them as something relaxing - even if its a beach. You still have to abide by the schedule.

good for you! im going to be leaving a 2 year old so while yes I will miss him Im with you a nice warm meal that I get to eat all by myself and just some relax time is so needed. Just enjoy...be sure to look up at the stars at night and just enjoy the quiet. Try drinking a cup of hot tea or coffee because a rare thing will happen....you will get to drink it all WHILE ITS STILL HOT lol and not an hour or two later because u made it and then had to do something for the child and forgot about it :p...as I write this my son is pretending to talk to Lightning and Sally on his play phone:D

We are probably some of the most "chill" cruisers there are. :) Just sit by the pool with your book, enjoy the warmth and a few cold drinks, nap, and take time for yourself. If you want to go to the beach in Cozumel, you can do that. By that point, you'll probably want to get off the ship for a little bit--there are some fun bars and shopping in town too. But just treat yourself and have fun! Don't feel pressured to do anything. Read the books you've been wanting to read--there's a thread on here of suggestions if you need ideas. Have a great time!

Wait a second, ozzy77. A cup of HOT tea? That's crazy talk.

We have started looking into places to have a really long, fun lunch in Cozumel. I won't waste any time with that here, because I realize that's probably a Port of Call topic.

I'll post our completed Chilled Out Itinerary when we get back. Perhaps we'll become the gold standard for underachiever cruising!

Enjoy and happy 40th! I highly recommend a day at Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. Best day of our cruise - breath taking beach, quiet, swim up bar and great food. They totally cater to you. I'll try to attach some pics. Wanda

451932827_CameraDownload2009188.jpg.8e9aac1294a19f45fbd7132864588d2a.jpg

1029593432_CameraDownload2009185.jpg.d25e7928acc7644878f33020c416aa60.jpg

Enjoy and happy 40th! I highly recommend a day at Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. Best day of our cruise - breath taking beach, quiet, swim up bar and great food. They totally cater to you. I'll try to attach some pics. Wanda

Google Nachi Cocum...it is wonderful. It is nice to be waited on hand and foot....shade or sun...ocean or not... and there is lots of coral on the beach to take home for the kids! And you choose the time to arrive and leave....

Wait a second, ozzy77. A cup of HOT tea? That's crazy talk.

We have started looking into places to have a really long, fun lunch in Cozumel. I won't waste any time with that here, because I realize that's probably a Port of Call topic.

I'll post our completed Chilled Out Itinerary when we get back. Perhaps we'll become the gold standard for underachiever cruising!

Pancho's Backyard is our favorite restaurant in Cozumel. Don't hesitate to go there if you don't end up at the beach.

Oh... If you can find it in your budget, make sure to spend some time shopping for that one perfect piece of jewelry that will bring you back to the cruise every time you wear it.

I got a Tanzinite ring from Cozumel that I wear all the time. And I can't look at it without smiling.

Our excitement level about this trip has gone up 200% today. Thank you, guys!

We looked up Nachi Cocum, and we're very intrigued. Is it the kind of place that you devote the whole day to, or would you still have fun for just a half-day?

Be sure to check out the fitness center (not the spa). On the Navigator there should be a sauna and steam room in the ladies locker room plus big showers and lots of towels. Also a big indoor hot tub where you don't really have to get close to others. You can create your own "spa" experience for no charge.

Archived