Can it be done?

lovethekeys

My DH & I took a last minute trip to FL for 5 days. We challenged ourselves to pack everything into one carry on suitcase. Since we had no plans to dine anywhere upscale, the weather was chilly so jeans and sweaters were the dress of the day, we were able to accomplish it.

Now...We are leaving in 30 days on the Summit and DH thinks we can each use one carry on suitcase (besides our personal carryon) for this trip. I think his thinking (if I can call it that) is trying to avoid baggage claim in San Juan.

Has anyone done this, and what did you pack/not pack? I have visions of running around San Juan to buy all the stuff we left behind.

Right now I am going along with this thinking when we start packing he will see the light.;)

There is laundry service on this ship so there is a way of recycling. But considering you will (unless you plan to not use any of the restaurants in the evening) need to bring items beyond the sweater/jeans. Take a look at the Celebirty website where it lists the recommended wear for evenings including the Formal Nights where diiner tux or suits are part of the 'dress' and you'll need a nice dress/pantsuit mix.

We made a 10N -13N B2B and took one regular suitcase each and a carry on. We had plenty of clothes and used the laundry. But I'm afraid you will either need at least one checked suitcase + a carry on, or at a minimum, two carry-ons which then limits you to your purse and him another bag.

Tough to do with one carry-on.

Denny

Is this for a 7 dayer? I have noticed more and more people trying to do what you are to avoid the luggage fees. Problem is that the airlines are being more picky about the size of the carry ons. Lots of back pack type bags are not fitting in the overheads, so they have to be put below.

Now...if your bag fits the airline's requirements, I think you can do it on a warm weather cruise...for 7days. (fewer heavy clothes) Remember there IS laundry service and not very expensive. So one top if worn twice, can be laundered and worn another two days. A pair of nice black pants and one fancy top will work for formal nights. Your DH could wear a sports coat on the plane which with a tie and dress pants and shirt would also work on formal night. OR skip formal nights and eat in the more casual spots. If you don't mind repeating outfits over and over, yes, I know it can be done. Just takes lots of planning and color coordinating. Would your DH agree to one checked bag?

Considering the season you are traveling from Wisconsin, I'd hope you planned a prenight in San Juan.

My DH & I took a last minute trip to FL for 5 days. We challenged ourselves to pack everything into one carry on suitcase. Since we had no plans to dine anywhere upscale, the weather was chilly so jeans and sweaters were the dress of the day, we were able to accomplish it.

Now...We are leaving in 30 days on the Summit and DH thinks we can each use one carry on suitcase (besides our personal carryon) for this trip. I think his thinking (if I can call it that) is trying to avoid baggage claim in San Juan.

Has anyone done this, and what did you pack/not pack? I have visions of running around San Juan to buy all the stuff we left behind.

Right now I am going along with this thinking when we start packing he will see the light.;)

Wow! That is quite a challenge!

I personally don't know if I could do it...even with very careful packing. :rolleyes:

May be the best way to find out is to do a "practice" run for each of the pcs you are going to bring on the plane and see if you can realistically get by w/ what fits. Good luck! :)

go with jersey/chicos-type clothing (crushable, no ironing). That will leave plenty of room for his suits. Also, try for mix & match (2 blouses/3 pairs of pants make 5 outfits). You can even get formal-length dresses in jersey to accessorize with jewelry & scarves.

Yes, that is what I was thinking, I have a long black Chico's dress that I have used in the past with different scarves & jewelry- it works great. I have no problem w/repeating clothes, we've tried to do that in the last couple of years since we were getting way out of hand with what we were bringing. I never thought about DH wearing his jacket on the plane, that is a good idea. We will do a practice run to see if it will work. My niece is a flight attendant and she travels all over the world with just a carry on for vacations, since she can fly for free stand-by. She insistes it can be done-but then, she doesn't cruise. I have thought about the size of the bags, we would each have one carry on (20"), and then our personal bags-mine a VERY large purse! We are flying down the day before so plan to buy all our "liquids" in San Juan. Saving the baggage charge is a nice plus, but the real reason behind his challenge is to save him from being a pack mule, time at the San Juan airport waiting for luggage, and not hauling all this extra stuff that we end up not using anyway. I have to confess I am guiltly as charged with overpacking. Do you think I have burned him out?!;)

Remember, the OP's DH (I'd drop the 'D') wants to take a single carry-on between them, not a carry-on for each.

Sure, we can all suggest laundry and Chicos and so on, but unless you guys are going to wear a couple of layers on the flight, I'd think this is beyond being a challenge. And for the 11N cruise, One carry-on between you??? What's the point? And even two carry-ons would be a real pain. For what? Last year, I traveled 12 times for business, two yrs ago, i travled 22+ times - no luggage issues.

Again, good luck. It sounds like you will be spending so much time trying to make that work and not take anything that is not utterly essential (buy cosmetics and gear at the port/ship, laundry done on ship, no personal items, etc), it sounds like it almost turns into a packing experiment instead of a vacation. For a 7-day, with real work on being conservative, you could make it with 2 carry-ons and makes some sense.

I realize back in my 'youth', we'd grab a backpack, stick a few changes, a bottle of wine, a block of cheese and bread and jump on a train and head across Europe. Now? I'll take my roll-on, order some good snacks and sip a good wine. Life changes, and trying to force my wife to live out of 1/2 a carry-on isn't in the cards - me living out of one isn't my way of enjoying a cruise either.

Denny

Remember, the OP's DH (I'd drop the 'D') wants to take a single carry-on between them, not a carry-on for each.

Sure, we can all suggest laundry and Chicos and so on, but unless you guys are going to wear a couple of layers on the flight, I'd think this is beyond being a challenge. And for the 11N cruise, One carry-on between you??? What's the point? And even two carry-ons would be a real pain. For what? Last year, I traveled 12 times for business, two yrs ago, i travled 22+ times - no luggage issues.

Again, good luck. It sounds like you will be spending so much time trying to make that work and not take anything that is not utterly essential (buy cosmetics and gear at the port/ship, laundry done on ship, no personal items, etc), it sounds like it almost turns into a packing experiment instead of a vacation. For a 7-day, with real work on being conservative, you could make it with 2 carry-ons and makes some sense.

I realize back in my 'youth', we'd grab a backpack, stick a few changes, a bottle of wine, a block of cheese and bread and jump on a train and head across Europe. Now? I'll take my roll-on, order some good snacks and sip a good wine. Life changes, and trying to force my wife to live out of 1/2 a carry-on isn't in the cards - me living out of one isn't my way of enjoying a cruise either.

Denny

Denny, After I reread my original post I can see how you took it as one carry on, but I meant one carry on suitcase and one personal bag each. You made me laugh, I remember those days of leaving at the drop of a hat w/more wine than clothes, but alas, if nothing else has change since then, my size has! Back then I had one pair of shoes, now I have a pair for every outfit (I wish)! Love all your replys thanx so much, I'll let you know how it goes- figure 1-2 checked bags, one carry on and our personal bags- but you never know! It's 7 hear in WI today w/a wind chill factor of too darn cold for humans! Can't wait to put on flip flops.:)

I wasn't sure, but I thought I'd anve fun with the 'one carryon for both!!' comments. Still a real challenge, but have fun. Yes, it was 'fun back then' and if I tried the train vacation, I'd have to hire a valet to accompany me! Can you see my and my poor bulter running for the next train and I'm getting upset he's spilling my grey poupon!!

Denny

I spent a month traveling thru Europe with just a carry-on and a backpack. Seems like I only took 3 pairs of shoes -flipflops, tennies and dress and all my clothes were navy, khaki or white or some combination so could completely mix and match. We did laundry once during the trip and rinsed items in sink on occasion.

Thanx so much for all your input. I should have know there would be a website for this:) Thanx everyone. I have a few weeks but I'm already starting my paper list- half the fun of cruising is getting ready for it. Now I have an even bigger challenge. I wonder if he really thinks I can pull it off:D Guys you might be able to answer this one!

It is quite easy to do for a warm weather cruise if you each take one carry-on size rollaboard and one shoulder bag. It is harder to pack that way for an Alaska or Scandinavian or South American cruise where you need warm clothing for cold weather, but many manage to do that too. Just make friends with some airline employees and they will show you how easily they do it.

You won't need to run around San Juan buying anything if you pack all toiletry and cosmetic items in small, travel sized bottles and jars.

lovethekeys, you will encounter one major problem if you don't have one checked bag---what will you do as far as liquids in your possession? You are allowed a very small amount of liquid/gel things in your carry on, and that includes shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste and all the other toiletries you'll need. You are only allowed one 1-quart baggie with liquids no more than three ozs in size.

We find airline restrictions on carry-on liquids to be an annoyance or inconvenience, but really not a major problem.

As mentioned previously, shampoo, conditioner and lotion are supplied free on Celebrity ships. People with allergies or sensitivity who need special prescription products are allowed to carry on as much as they want.

Solid deodorants and tooth powders are fine to pack in your carry-on. Small tubes of toothpaste fit into the plastic zip lock bag. Our dentist always gives us lots of them to take on trips.

A quart-sized zip lock bag holds many small bottles and jars. I just checked out mine from our last trip and it had 8 jars, 4 bottles, a tube of sunblock, and 2 tubes of toothpaste. I could fit in another couple of jars and still zip it closed.

Additional liquid and gel products can be purchased in the airport after you clear security, or after you land, or on the ship. Every cruise ship we have been on had a place that sold toothpaste, mouthwash, shaving cream and such. We also re-stock if needed at stores in ports along the way, often conveniently located near the dock.

Even when we check bags, we do not pack large bottles of liquids in them to avoid the extra weight.

Archived