A question about The Bus in Honolulu

Daniel1313

Does anyone know exactly how The Bus works in Honolulu???? We are arriving on the Golden Princess. I think the boat docks near Aloha Tower. How do you know what bus will get you to Waikiki beach??? If we take the bus from Waikiki to some place else, do you have to pay the $2.25 every time you change buses??? Is there something that tells you what bus you would need to take to go to certain places??? I have been on The Bus web site but it does not seem to explain much I didn't think.

Thanks

Dan

TheBus works great in Honolulu. When you board TheBus you get a transfer that can be used for 1-2 hours to get you to another bus. From Aloha Tower take a #55, #56, or #57 to Ala Moana Shopping and transfer to a #8, #19, or #20 to Waikiki. To return to Aloha Tower, do the reverse. Bus transportation in Honolulu is one of the cleanest, most efficient mass transit systems we have ever used. We visit Oahu yearly and have never rented a car, but we always use TheBus to go most any place that we want.

http://www.TheBus.org

will give you all the information you want, and probably some that you don't!

Enjoy!

We did a 5 day pre cruise in Honolulu and we used the bus exclusively,except for our last day, when we rented a car. We did the bus to Pearl, to Diamond Head and one day we took the complete island loop on the Bus. It took most of the day, as we got off at several places,. spent some time, and uses the transfers to get on the next bus we could.

As was said, this is one of the best systems we have seen. Any questions, problems, just ask the driver. They will make sure you do not get lost.

We did a 5 day pre cruise in Honolulu and we used the bus exclusively,except for our last day, when we rented a car. We did the bus to Pearl, to Diamond Head and one day we took the complete island loop on the Bus. It took most of the day, as we got off at several places,. spent some time, and uses the transfers to get on the next bus we could.

As was said, this is one of the best systems we have seen. Any questions, problems, just ask the driver. They will make sure you do not get lost.

How did you know what bus took you where???

Thanks

Thanks

I would aslo be interested in this information, we are staying at the Outrigger and want to visit Pearl Harbour. For those that have done this do you think its worth getting the bus or jumping in a cab.

From Waikiki take the #20, or the #42 to Pearl Harbor. It will take about an hour on TheBus. If you are going on Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday, it will be very crowded, as others are going to Swap Meet at Aloha Stadium.

Check http://www.TheBus.org for info on what bus to catch. I have the book from TheBus so I can usually check for info.

Concierege at hotels can give you info on TheBus as to routes, also.

Thanks

If you go to the Bus web site that has already been put on here, they will give you maps of their entire system. If you are looking to do the entire island trip, here is a website that will help you to do it. http://www.wikihow.com/Take-an-Oahu-Scenic-Bus-Ride

I believe it's the #52 bus that goes from Waikiki to the North Shore, then the same bus changes numbers to #55 and travels the other side of the island and returns to the same place you started. It will take the good part of the day to do it, and some areas aren't 'that' scenic, but you can get off and on basically at will, and spend time where ever you want to. We explored the North shore, Turtle Beach. For basically $5 you get a tour of the entire island.

Again, this is good if you have the time.

Len

You really like question marks, don't you??????? :D
Is this kind of retort to a frustrated cruiser helpful?????????

Daniel, I'm so glad you asked your question, because I got to benefit from the answers! I hope you have fun at Diamondhead. We're planning on hiking it while we're there, too, and getting there by bus.

• 2 weeks later...

On www.thebus.org website there is a google transit link. All you have to do is to enter your start and destination addresses and times to get directions by the bus. It even directs you to the bus stop. I have used it numerous times and it works great. No need to be a rocket scientist, as I am far from that:cool:.

Diamond head is a walk in the park. Whenever I get to Oahu I usually walk from Wikiki to Diamond Head. I usually go the long way around the coast while it is quicker to go through the north end of Kapiolani Park. Views are better walking by the coast. I am usually done by three hours. Two hours are coming and going. I just walked it in January, and the people who brought bincoculars could see the whales. I could just see the white splashes and took their word for it that it was whales causing the splashes. There are some tunnels on the trail but they have some lighting now. While still dark, you can see people in front of you. The first time I walked it they didn't have any lights and I walked into someone else! There are also probably around 4 stories worth of stairs that you need to climb. Also a couple of stories of spiral stairs which is around 1 person wide. The toughest thing is climbing out of the observation post to the top, but that has a stair and handles to help. If it is a good day, you will be rewarded with a great view!

Don't worry about what bus to take. When in doubt ask the driver. They are usually very nice and will tell you what bus you need to take, where to get off etc. They are used to tourists.

One of the best things about the bus is that they are all handicapped accessible! Not a big deal when you can walk but when you can't it's a God send.

How difficult is it to take The Bus to Pearl Harbor if you have trouble walking? We have a handicap placard and are thinking of renting a car for this trip to Pearl Harbor. I believe they have handicap parking that is closer than the bus stop. Is this correct?

How difficult is it to take The Bus to Pearl Harbor if you have trouble walking? We have a handicap placard and are thinking of renting a car for this trip to Pearl Harbor. I believe they have handicap parking that is closer than the bus stop. Is this correct?

Yes, the bus stop for Pearl Harbor is quite a ways from the actual site. If you have trouble walking I think you might have quite a walk across the parking lot not to mention waiting in lines. Have you thought about renting a wheelchair or perhaps a walker with a seat? I must admit there is alot of walking to do even in Waikiki.

One of the best things about the bus is that they are all handicapped accessible! Not a big deal when you can walk but when you can't it's a God send.

We will be there for a 8-11 pm stop over in May and thought we may use the bus to get around as Mike is a quadriplegic in a electric chair so our options are limited as to what we do and how we get there..

Thanks on the Pearl Harbor bus info. This is what I thought having read a post a long time ago. (I must have that somewhere!) We will rent a car, go early and hope for a handicap parking spot. My husband can walk, but not hike. We'll do the best we can!

We will be there for a 8-11 pm stop over in May and thought we may use the bus to get around as Mike is a quadriplegic in a electric chair so our options are limited as to what we do and how we get there..

May I also add that Waikiki is very accessible. I took my mom who uses a scooter. Never had a problem with curb cut outs etc. You could take the bus around the whole island if you want for only $2. It was only $1 if you were disabled when we were there last March. It takes all day but it's an option.

I'm sure you and Mike will find lots to do that is accessible. We did. Have a great trip.

Archived