Which mini-suite to pick?

Brewyourown2001

I am going to book a mini-suite on the Norwegian Jewel for a May cruise out of NYC. It will be my first cruise and I have 2 young kids and my wife with me. Very exciting! But we have zero cruise experience.

Anyway, I notice that on the ncl website, I can choose between many many locations on Deck 10. I also notice that Deck 11 has a lot of activities on it, does this interfere with sleeping at night?

I have heard that the middle of the ship is the best location for the least amount of sea motion, but the middle is right beneath the pool area. Which is a good spot on Deck 10? Front middle? Back middle?

Also, if I pick one of these room locations, is it a guarantee?

I am going to book a mini-suite on the Norwegian Jewel for a May cruise out of NYC. It will be my first cruise and I have 2 young kids and my wife with me. Very exciting! But we have zero cruise experience.

Anyway, I notice that on the ncl website, I can choose between many many locations on Deck 10. I also notice that Deck 11 has a lot of activities on it, does this interfere with sleeping at night?

I have heard that the middle of the ship is the best location for the least amount of sea motion, but the middle is right beneath the pool area. Which is a good spot on Deck 10? Front middle? Back middle?

I believe the mini suites on the Jewel are all on deck 11, not 10. Deck 12 is were all the activity is. We've had mini's on the Jewel twice and try to get one on the starboard side(right side) under the library or in that general area. No noise and close to the stairs. Check out the Jewel deck 11 and 12 layout and you will see the area I'm talking about. You should be able to pick a specfic room if available.

Totally agree with the previous poster. I was in cabin 11002 (all the way forward, starboard side, under part of the spa) on the Jewel back in September and it was perfectly quiet. Plus, you're a very short walk from the Bridge Viewing Room (and the Captain's cabin, too).

Totally agree with the previous poster. I was in cabin 11002 (all the way forward, starboard side, under part of the spa) on the Jewel back in September and it was perfectly quiet. Plus, you're a very short walk from the Bridge Viewing Room (and the Captain's cabin, too).

was there a lot more motion up front on the ship versus the middle? I don't get sea sick and neither does my wife, but we've never taken the kids on the ocean like this. Do most kids do "ok" with the motion of the ocean?

was there a lot more motion up front on the ship versus the middle? I don't get sea sick and neither does my wife, but we've never taken the kids on the ocean like this. Do most kids do "ok" with the motion of the ocean?

I had no problem at all with the motion (but I rarely get seasick). I honestly didn't feel any difference, but some people do feel more turbulence at the ends vs. mid-ship. Can't say about kids.

The only potential problem with being at one end of the ship is that it's a longgggg walk to the other end. If you're at the front of the Jewel, it's a long walk to the Great Outdoors, for instance. I viewed it as penance for the amount of food I ate.

I had no problem at all with the motion (but I rarely get seasick). I honestly didn't feel any difference, but some people do feel more turbulence at the ends vs. mid-ship. Can't say about kids.

The only potential problem with being at one end of the ship is that it's a longgggg walk to the other end. If you're at the front of the Jewel, it's a long walk to the Great Outdoors, for instance. I viewed it as penance for the amount of food I ate.

LOL at the food comment! I want to get the mid ship, but my main concern is potential late night noise from pool area above. I don't mind if its not that loud, but if it's like a house with the floor above and people walking around and chair being rearranged, that would be quite annoying.

A follow-up to my last post. Here's a shot I took outside my cabin door (11002) in an attempt to capture the distance from our cabin to the opposite end of the ship. My friend Linda is actually standing at the end of the corridor in this shot, probably waving at me.

IMG_8304.jpg

We were in cabin 11574 port side mid-ship. They were playing something on deck 12 right above us. Don't know if it was basketball or hand ball or some kind of ball but, the noise was late in the evening. Sounded a lot like kids playing. Just saying.......

We were in cabin 11574 port side mid-ship. They were playing something on deck 12 right above us. Don't know if it was basketball or hand ball or some kind of ball but, the noise was late in the evening. Sounded a lot like kids playing. Just saying.......

That's directly under the Splashdown Kids Club. It might have just been kids being kids, jumping around and the like. How late in the evening?

Johnql,

Good to hear, we're in 11004 in March and chose the location as it's under the library as well. From your experience how likely is it I'll be thrown overboard if I smoke a cigar on my balcony? I greatly enjoy cigars, but am very careful not to offend. Though I smoke, even I don't like to smoked ON!

Lee

Johnql,

Good to hear, we're in 11004 in March and chose the location as it's under the library as well. From your experience how likely is it I'll be thrown overboard if I smoke a cigar on my balcony? I greatly enjoy cigars, but am very careful not to offend. Though I smoke, even I don't like to smoked ON!

Lee

I think it mostly depends on the direction of the wind and whether your neighbors are out on their balcony.

Just came off the Jewel on 1/24. We were in 11526. Nice and quiet. Didn't hear any noise at any time. We'd book the same room on another cruise without hesitation. Kind of half way between the forward and mid elevators. Very convenient.

I think it mostly depends on the direction of the wind and whether your neighbors are out on their balcony.

thanks for the quick reply. I'll make friends with my neighbors first, rather than risk making a bad first impression. My guess is that when under way, the issue is less bothersome as the ship's moving and we're essentially outside.

Lee

I get motion sickness easily...I wear sea bands always when cruising. Our last cruise on the Gem was "forward port side" under the library. Very very quiet, motion was no more then when we stayed in the middle of the ship...and we sailed in winter with rough seas.

The long walk to the the "Great Outdoors Buffet" was not all that long quite frankly...and all the other activities were very close by. I would never choose a room location according to the where the buffet is.....we can always use the exercise anyway.

Johnql,

Lee

I'd be upset - I found it bad enough sitting on my balcony breathing in the cigarette smoke from my neighbours - we had to close the balcony door in the end as I may as well be smoking it myself.

It moves really easy from one to another balcony so it may not go down very well - however if they are in with the door closed or out - they won't be affected. We only got affected from the left or right, ever from below or above

x

Just got off the Jewell today. We were in 11136. Noisiest room ever, just 2 floors below the basketball court. Plus there was this loud trembling noise most nights. Calls to the front desk initally fell on deaf ears, however they did offer to move us a few nights later. Any concerns with movement should discourage you from staying in the rear of the boat. It was a very "wobbly" trip (to quote my daughter). I have heard from others the front is not the steadiest as well. On the good side the Jewell is a fantastic boat. Enjoy.

In almost all conditions, the ship's forward movement creates wind that flows from the front to the back. Your cigar smoke wiil almost always go in that direction, and not bother folks toward the bow from you. While in port, that will not be the case and if not windy, the smoke of course will go in many directions.

I think the idea of meeting your next door neighbors is a good idea and finding out about the Cigar Bar is too.

If I was a cigar smoker, I could see the joy of sitting on your balcony with a full malt scotch or brandy and watching the moonlight on the ocean. There are other great locations at night to do the same thing if your neighbors give you a hard time. One is the "freestyle deck" which is the clothing optional space during the day....and not typically busy at night...see if you can find it.

we're holding cabin 11078. Any comments about noise. We like midship or towards the stern, but not below alot of noise. It's for a Med cruise in January so the pool shouldn't be too busy.

In almost all conditions, the ship's forward movement creates wind that flows from the front to the back. Your cigar smoke wiil almost always go in that direction, and not bother folks toward the bow from you. While in port, that will not be the case and if not windy, the smoke of course will go in many directions.

I think the idea of meeting your next door neighbors is a good idea and finding out about the Cigar Bar is too.

If I was a cigar smoker, I could see the joy of sitting on your balcony with a full malt scotch or brandy and watching the moonlight on the ocean. There are other great locations at night to do the same thing if your neighbors give you a hard time. One is the "freestyle deck" which is the clothing optional space during the day....and not typically busy at night...see if you can find it.

I'm going to disagree with the idea that if the ship ismoving smoke won't affect upwind cabins. The balcony partitions seem to create a baffle effect that causes the smoke to be sucked into the cabins upwind. That has happened to us several time when there have been smokers next to us. We have told our neighbors about it and sometimes they will be considerate of us. If not, we either stay off the balcony until they are done or put up with it. Before I get flamed, I'm a smoker, my wife isn't, and I don't smoke on our balcony or in the room. I go up on the open deck.

I would never choose a room location according to the where the buffet is.....we can always use the exercise anyway.
:D Boy, I sure do! The closer the better, especially since they're removed the coffeemakers from the cabins. I can get exercise other times during the days and especially on excursions. We always choose the stern cabins.

Archived