Live from the Diamond Princess Jan 28 - Feb 9 Sydney to Auckland

DonahCBrown

Got to see the ships departing from the top floor of the Crowne last evening, while enjoying some good New Zealand wines (Dennis & me) and beer (mom) Mom was in bed by 8 though, and had a good night. Dennis & I decided to contribute to the New Zealand treasury or whoever gets the profits from the slots here - didn't do any better at Sky City than we did on the ship.

This morning we had a bit of breakfast and headed out on the ferry for Devonport. Walked around, mom did a bit of shopping - more souvenirs and gifts - now I need to either mail stuff back or get another suitcase - and we'll find a good spot for dinner as lunch was a minor disaster. I purchased an Entertainment book for our stay here and we were walking around the ferry terminal and Viaduct looking at places we had coupons for - ended up at Kermadec which has three different restaurants in the same building - first two were doing 'normal' type lunches - third is the 'fine dining' as it turned out - what my friend Dee calls the 'three perfect prawns on a leaf of raddichio' type place. What sounded like grilled tuna on salad greens ended up being three smallish pieces of seared (read not cooked in the middle) block ahi artistically arranged with about 4 really tiny leaves of something, and 5 dots of balsalmic vingerette on a huge white plate - for $23. And they charged for the bread...Not a happy lunch bunch, but at least one of the 'meals' was for free. We didn't actually realize ahead of time that we were going to the 'fine dining' area - just asked for somewhere a bit quieter, as mom has hearing problems, and that's where we ended up. So, be warned! Stay downstairs and put up with the noise level if you are really hungry.

Mom's resting now, Dennis is off to the gym, and I'm, of course, updating you! Tonight we'll try for somewhere with actual food on the menu.:rolleyes:

Makes you appreciate the ship board meals. :eek:

It certainly does! We are up here in the club room partaking of more good New Zealand beverages in preparation of going out in search of real food and mourning the lovely soups we had on board Diamond - their current soup chef is a genius - we had some of the most wonderful soups on board-winners every single meal. We really miss him!:(

Makes you appreciate the ship board meals. :eek:

It certainly does! We are up here in the club room partaking of more good New Zealand beverages in preparation of going out in search of real food and mourning the lovely soups we had on board Diamond - their current soup chef is a genius - we had some of the most wonderful soups on board-winners every single meal. We really miss him!:(

I think you have both summed up the very essence of why we like cruising.

If we are on a land tour,

we always seem to pick the wrong one,

and then chatting to folk back at the Hotel,

they say ,

Oh No,

If you had just gone to one around the corner,

it was wonderful.:D

Another day of touring in Auckland - I had purchased the Entertainment book for Auckland through the Auckland SPCA who kindly mailed it to me in Hawaii - you can only get the books from charities here. I am now in the black for the book and shipping with the discount for the overpriced raw fish on day one, and the two for one ticket on the Explorer (hop on hop off) bus and (very good) lunch in Parnell Village today. Will hand it on to our friends here in Auckland who will be stopping by for cocktails later today.

The Explorer bus is a good deal for day trippers in Auckland as it goes to all the major sites about every 30 minutes and to the farther flung ones like Mt. Eden on an hourly basis connecting through the Auckland War Memorial Museum. For cruisers, the nearest pick up point is just on the far side of the ferry building. There are coupons for discounts of 10% or so in most of the tourist give away books, and a 2 for 1 coupon in the Entertainment book. Full price adult for a day pass good from 9 am to 4 pm is $35. The main circuit takes you to Sky Tower, Victoria Market, the Ferry Terminal (and Viaduct), Kelly Tarletons, Bastion Point, Auckland Cathedral, Parnell Rose Gardens, the Auckland Museum (right to the front door, which saves a longish and uphill walk from where the nearest public bus stops), Parnell Village, and back to the Sky Tower. Buses run about every 30 minutes for each stop on the main route. A secondary route that goes to Mt. Eden and the zoo can be caught from the Museum on an hourly basis.

Victoria Market isn't as well populated as we remembered from a few years back, but there are still some nice stores there and the Park across the street is nice. Parnell is just as charming as ever and we enjoyed both the lunch and shopping there. The Auckland Anglican Cathedral, also in the Parnell area, is well worth a stop, and the rose gardens looked lovely although we didn't stop and walk around there.

Did better last night at Sky Tower - mom brought her usual luck and we all stayed close to even while she won a bit.

That's about it for now - our time in Auckland is winding down and I need to figure out how we're going to get all of everyones' purchases back home in one piece and within the weight limits...went by a post office to check out the cost of shipping and we won't be doing that! Cheaper to pay for extra weight or luggage than to mail things between here and Hawaii. May have to find a second hand store somewhere and get a cheap bag we can check - one of mom's 'finds' in Devonport was a Javanese puppet/doll on a ceramic base...

Most likely this is it - we're taking a 'quiet day' today in preparation for the long flights home. Will go downtown today for tape and bubble wrap on the free city circuit bus, and most likely that will be it for 'touristing.'

Big excitement for the day is that the Wellington rugby team - the Hurricanes - checked in yesterday and were all on the same floor as mom. These guys made me feel petite...unusual feeling, that.

Had a lovely visit with our friends last evening and hope to see them again in 2011 when we are back.

Earl - drop me an email and I'll give you more details - have to do notes for Pia so I can easily copy to you as well. donahcbrown @ msn dot com

Pia has a point - she and Mike are great fun to travel with! Of course, you could ALL cancel your respective trips and come with Tina & Ken & us on the Feb/Mar 2011 'Great Circumnavigation Cruises' on Sun and Dawn!

Didn't get bubble wrap after all - the Pampered Papillion Puppies are getting individual little sheepskins for their beds which are, meanwhile, serving as the cushioning wrap for mom's Javanese doll/puppet thing and Dennis' opera mask. I sure do hope that the customs folks don't make me unpack stuff at the airport....

Earl - drop me an email and I'll give you more details - have to do notes for Pia so I can easily copy to you as well. donahcbrown @ msn dot com

Pia has a point - she and Mike are great fun to travel with! Of course, you could ALL cancel your respective trips and come with Tina & Ken & us on the Feb/Mar 2011 'Great Circumnavigation Cruises' on Sun and Dawn!

Didn't get bubble wrap after all - the Pampered Papillion Puppies are getting individual little sheepskins for their beds which are, meanwhile, serving as the cushioning wrap for mom's Javanese doll/puppet thing and Dennis' opera mask. I sure do hope that the customs folks don't make me unpack stuff at the airport....

Only one question. Did you have to buy another suitcase?

Archived